We have our #3: Guthrie

VC@WilliamMary

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jeremy was amazing! They said on the post show that he went into the ninth only throwing 85 pitches. He left the game at 91...that's what some of our staters are throwing by the 3rd inning!

Unbelievable that Perlozzo took him out...he needs to be fired. ASAP. Perlozzo said in the post show that in between innings if a batter got on they would take him out. But I don't consider Ramon's error the same thing as a runner getting on due to the pitcher.

See, now I'd assumed that Guthrie told Perlozzo her was spent, hurt, or something. But to take him out because ONE batter got one in a 5-0 game?!? Pathetic. I've tried to defend Perlozzo, but Jesus, the guy needs to go now.

Jeremy was amazing! They said on the post show that he went into the ninth only throwing 85 pitches. He left the game at 91...that's what some of our staters are throwing by the 3rd inning!

Unbelievable that Perlozzo took him out...he needs to be fired. ASAP. Perlozzo said in the post show that in between innings if a batter got on they would take him out. But I don't consider Ramon's error the same thing as a runner getting on due to the pitcher.

That's simply boneheaded, one-way thinking that shouldn't be a quality of a Major League manager. You have to recognize the situation, Sam.

Unbelievable that he is running this team if his methods are like this.

If I was Guthrie I would quiety pack my stuff, leave, and as soon as I was in private, I would proceed to destroy inanimate objects. I'd be so pissed if I were him right now.

That's simply boneheaded, one-way thinking that shouldn't be a quality of a Major League manager. You have to recognize the situation, Sam.

Unbelievable that he is running this team if his methods are like this.

If I was Guthrie I would quiety pack my stuff, leave, and as soon as I was in private, I would proceed to destroy inanimate objects. I'd be so pissed if I were him right now.

Between the innings, Perlozzo went to Guthrie and asked how he felt, if he was tired. According to Perlozzo's post game comments on MASN, Guthrie said.

"if someone gets on, you can pretty much come and get ME".

So, why would Guthrie be pissed? If he said what he siad to Perlozzo...

The more I see of Guthrie the more I think we could have found a gem. I just wish he had an out pitch because he relied heavily on DP's to pitch the way he did today. If he could put up better K numbers and keep the walks as low as he did, he'll solidify his spot in our rotation.

There seems to be some conflict between what was said between innings and what was said when Perlozzo came to the mound. Again, this decision didn't cost the O's the game and I don't have a big problem with it, but walking a hitter, or giving up a solid double, is a lot different than a dropped popup. Sometimes you need to think on the fly, no matter what was said between innings.

Being as this was Guthrie's 2nd start of the season, I think Perlozzo was looking for an excuse to pull him after the 8th inning. I think Guthrie probably talked him into staying in the game between innings that if someone gets on, he'll can come get him.

Guthrie's 1st start of the season was 5 days ago, and he threw 67 pitches... this start he threw 92 pitches.

You're probably right about the out pitch and the K's, and I didn't see most of the game, but he only gave up 5 baserunners in 8 innings. It's hard to believe that the 2 DP's were the difference between a great game and a bad game. He got a lot of GB outs today. With his low K totals, it seems like he's going to have to be an extreme GB pitcher to keep this up.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying the DP's saved him. But there were a couple cases where he really needed a DP (he got both Manny AND Ortiz to GIDP, one of those with two men on and one out). I believe his MiL numbers showed he had decent GB/FB numbers but nothing that made you jump out of your seat. Games like this aren't going to come along very often for Guthrie if he can't strike guys out.

I don't think I saw him throw a changeup. I know changeups usually aren't very good "out" pitches but he's got a pretty good fastball. If he can learn a changeup, he might be able to get guys to whiff at his fastball more often.

He was definitely great today. He threw strikes, and his fastball command was great. I'm still pretty unimpressed with his breaking stuff, though. He threw a few good curveballs (or is it a slider?), but it has been an inconsistent pitch the whole year.

Right, there have been more balls hit hard off of him today than you will see off of Bedard or DCab in 2 or 3 starts.

This is part of the reason i want to see more K's from him.

So maybe DCab and Bedard take a lesson. Maybe instead of trying to strike every batter out at 1-2 and then falling to 3-2, they will start making batters put it into play. I'm not saying I don't like strikeouts but stop wasting so many pitches. Especially Cabrera.

Guthrie is getting ahead and putting people away. It may be a hot streak or a fluke, but we don't really know right now.

Archived