Manfred: If MiLB Players Get Raise, Teams will Be Folded

weams

www.mlbtraderumors.com

Of the current clamor to raise wages for minor league players (which has included a class-action lawsuit brought by former minor leaguers), Manfred says, "Excessive regulation could have a really dramatic impact on the size of minor league baseball," seemingly suggesting that increased wages might result in the folding of some minor league teams.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, if only there were some parent team that could find these operations. Oh well, I guess they'll just be forced to be paid below minimum wage in one of the most lucrative businesses in the world. Thus crap makes me sick. Manfred is disgusting and should resign. I'd like to see a call for his replacement immediately. Pete should push for that.

Yeah, if only there were some parent team that could find these operations. Oh well, I guess they'll just be forced to be paid below minimum wage in one of the most lucrative businesses in the world. Thus crap makes me sick. Manfred is disgusting and should resign. I'd like to see a call for his replacement immediately. Pete should push for that.

They get paid below minimum wage?

Base pay?

Yes a lot of them do.

That is one of the reasons a lot of them stay with volunteer families.

http://www.milb.com/milb/info/faq.jsp?mc=business

A. Minor League Baseball player contracts are handled by the Major League Baseball office. Here are the salary ranges:

First contract season: $1,100/month maximum. After that, open to negotiation.

Alien Salary Rates: Different for aliens on visas as mandated by INS (the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service).

Meal Money: $25 per day at all levels, while on the road.

Q. Do Minor Leaguers who make the playoffs receive additional compensation of any sort?

A. Players get paid on a pro-rated scale for each day they are on a roster until their club's season is over.

Q. Who provides employment benefits for players? Do former players continue to receive health insurance coverage?

A. For the answers to these questions, please contact someone directly in Minor League Baseball's administrative office.

Until a minor league player is placed on a 40-man roster, monthly salaries are $1150 for the short season teams, $1300 for low A and $1500 for high A. For players repeating a year at the same level, the salary goes up $50 each year. For AA, the monthly salary is $1700 and it goes up $100 per month for subsequent years. For AAA, the monthly salary is $2150 per month and it goes up to $2400 the second year and $2700 the third year.

If a player becomes a minor league free agent, higher salaries can be negotiated.

A player must be placed on the team’s 40-man roster or be subject to the Rule 5 Draft at the end of his fourth season (if signed at age 19 or higher) or fifth season (if signed at age 18 or lower).

Salary for first year on 40-man roster:

2013: $39,900

2014: $40,750

2015: $41,400

Salary for second year on 40-man roster or if one or more days of Major League service time:

2013: $79,900

2014: $81,750

2015: $82,700

Meal money is $25 per road day.

Minor league salary must be at least 60% of the player’s combined minor league and Major League salary in the preceding season.

http://www.sportslawblogger.com/baseball/salary-information/minor-league-salary/

Base pay?

Yes a lot of them do.

That is one of the reasons a lot of them stay with volunteer families.

I live near the Keys and Hagerstown Suns and I know I've seen advertisements(not sure if that is the correct word) looking for volunteer families. It's crazy that with the amount of money in baseball that the major league clubs don't do more to help these players live.

I live near the Keys and Hagerstown Suns and I know I've seen advertisements(not sure if that is the correct word) looking for volunteer families. It's crazy that with the amount of money in baseball that the major league clubs don't do more to help these players live.

Does the NFL play college football players? The NBA?

Such a joke. You can afford to give major league players $200 million but can't pay minor leaguers federal minimum wage. Bleep off with that.

If nothing else the clubs should rent the players rooms in a motel near the stadiums, or build something like a college dorm for the players to live in. I guess the problem with that is most minor league teams are independently owned.

If nothing else the clubs should rent the players rooms in a motel near the stadiums, or build something like a college dorm for the players to live in. I guess the problem with that is most minor league teams are independently owned.

All except for four I think.

The NFL and NBA definitely don't pay college players, but they also don't control those players like they do minor leaguers. NFL has no minor league so its hard to compare that. NBA D League players earn $13,000-$25,000 during the season, $40 a day per diem on the road, housing and in season accomodations are provided. Im not saying they need to be paid more but they should at least provide somewhere to live in season.

Archived