Why Are These Still Baseball Jobs?

Plutarch

Please enlighten me why we still have the following:

1) Full time hitting coaches: That really don't seem to add anything other than giving fans something to complain about. Since every hitter develops differently and has different strengths how can one hitting coach (with one approach) be useful to entire team. Would seem to me that if a team had several instructors (with different approaches) as consultants that were available to detect problems with certain players as they surface it would be more useful.

2) Bullpen Coaches: Let's see. Phone rings - answer it tell pitchers to warm up. Phone rings again - tell manager that pitcher X is ready. That's it folks. I'm sure anyone of the pitchers in the pen could do the same thing. Not complaining per se, just want to know why they're still needed since the invention of the telephone seems to have taken away the need.

Teams do have various assistant coaches and consultants they can call in to help with specific issues/players. But teams are limited to how many coaches they can have in uniform during the game. That is why you have one hitting coach.

Teams do have various assistant coaches and consultants they can call in to help with specific issues/players. But teams are limited to how many coaches they can have in uniform during the game. That is why you have one hitting coach.

I wouldn't think that a hitting coach would have any use during the game.

Except the O's have two hitting coaches - Mark Quinn is the second and he sits in the dugout during games.

Hitting coaches work with hitters prior to and after games with drills and such. they watch film of their players swings and help them detect when things are going wrong mechanically. Good hitting coaches are able to help slumping players get out of their slumps faster by using particular drills that target the problem areas.

as mentioned already, bullpen coaches are second pitching coaches. I've heard many pitchers give credit to Dom Chiti and they talk all the time how he has helped them.

Archived