Rule Five Picks

weams

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/19/2016 at 6:45 AM, tntoriole said:

I would add Johnny Field out of Rays system. 24 year old outfielder out of the University of Arizona can play anywhere in the outfield. In time split between AA and AAA he hit .273/.322/.453 and 121 wRC+ with 12 homers and 18 stolen bases. Field is likely to stick somewhere as a fourth or fifth outfielder that hits left handed pitching. In 2016 he hit .321/.374/.482 in 123 PA against left handed pitchers.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2016-rule-5-draft-preview/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5835144504d3014987cd41f7&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter#YZqqoV4ARYZuqGJD.97

Phillip Evans, 2b/ss/3b, Mets: Evans won the Eastern League batting title in 2016, hitting .335 for Binghamton. It was a surprising development as he was a career .236/.304/.310 hitter coming into the 2016 season. But Evans has a short, compact stroke with some pop, so his batting title didn’t look as flukish as one might believe. He’s also hitting .333/.418/.521 in the Puerto Rican winter league giving scouts another good look. Evans was a full-time shortstop early in his career. He’s slid to second and third base more regularly as he moved up the ladder (and in deference to Amed Rosario) but he did play shortstop frequently this season and while he’s not good enough defensively to be an everyday shortstop, he is capable enough to contribute as a utility infielder.
Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2016-rule-5-draft-preview/#YD50buvW4qhjoUhE.99

I think it's OF here.  It's hard to keep a rule 5 guy and I don't see how we can keep a guy at another position.  The pitching staff is already crowded:

Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, Ubaldo, Miley/Gallardo

Britton, Brach, O'day, Givens, Hart, Miley/Gallardo are all locks.  That's 6/7 spots.

We basically just need a "B" squad reliever for tie games and games we're losing.  We have plenty of guys for that.

Drake, Garcia, Wilson, Wright, etc...  Players with options that can be moved up/down for fresh arms to protect the better RP's.  

I think the obvious selection would be Jake Cave.  

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 40 | Run: 55 | Arm: 50 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45

Cave was a left-hander with a fastball that topped out at 94 mph in high school, but the Yankees liked him more as a hitter and signed him for $800,000 as a sixth-rounder in 2011. He fractured his right kneecap in his first pro game and missed all of 2012 when it didn't heal properly, but he has made steady progress since. New York lost him to the Reds as the second overall pick in the Rule 5 Draft at the 2015 Winter Meetings, then got him back when he couldn't stick on Cincinnati's big league roster.

Cave doesn't have a plus tool, but he does have four that grade as average or better. He has hit for average at every Minor League stop, repeatedly barreling balls and using the entire field. He has some strength and the Yankees believe he's capable of double-digit home run totals, and he's starting to show that power this season after incorporating his legs more in his swing.

With solid speed and average arm strength, Cave is capable of playing all three outfield positions. After playing mostly center field earlier in his career, he has seen most of his time in left field this season. He earns praise for his constant hustle, but unless he starts hitting for more power, his ceiling will be as a fourth outfielder.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=nyy

In 55 ST AB's with the Reds last year 255/349/364/ 713 OPS 8BB/12K

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=jake-cave

He's basically Rickard with more experience entering last year.  89 games at AAA is a good amount.  He's been through an entire MLB ST.  Problem is we're probably going to have to trade up to get him.  We've done this before in the rule 5 and it was a small cost.  I'd be fine having this:

LF: Kim

RF: Bourn 1/1+

OF: Rickard

OF: Cave

DH: Pedro Alvarez 2/15ish

OF/1B/DH: Pearce 2/8

AAA- Mancini, OF Depth (Reimold, Yaz, D.Alvarez)

Lots of platoons.  Hopefully this wouldn't be a repeat of the 2014 season when we tried to fill spots with a bunch of guys.  

Roch mentioned in his column this morning that one sure outcome of the winter meeting is the Orioles selecting one or more Rule 5 picks. 

I was wondering, given the likely departure of Matt Wieters, whether selecting a Rule 5 option catcher might be in the cards.   Tyler Heineman was left unprotected by the Astros after they traded for Brian McCann.  Here is a recent writeup:

He is 25 years old and is still under control at the league minimum salary for the next three years. He spent 2016 with the Astros' Triple-A affiliate, where he put up a 93 wRC+ in 73 games. He is much more of a defense-first catcher, and has put up excellent defensive numbers in the minor leagues. Baseball Prospectus' framing metrics see him as an excellent receiver, giving him credit for 11 framing runs in 2016 and 11.2 in 2015. He also put up a whopping 15.7 fielding runs above average in 2016.

While he suffers from a lack of power and doesn't profile as very good hitter (.730 OPS split against right handers last year at Triple-A), Heineman has shown good plate discipline throughout his minor league career. He has put up solid BB% and K% in the minor leagues and should be able to put up a decent OBP in the bigs. Heineman is a switch hitter, but he has hit much better against righties than lefties, which will work to the Orioles benefit as he will be able to platoon with Caleb Joseph.

Thoughts about who you think we might pick on Rule 5 day???

I can't see the O's adding a rookie Rule 5  catcher that has to stay of the 25 man roster to share time with Caleb.  I would think it would be a veteran catcher that bridges the gap to Sisco.

The outfield seems the logical place for a Rule 5 player on the O's replacing Reimold.  However I have not heard of anyone that seems a likely pick for Dan.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I can't see the O's adding a rookie Rule 5  catcher that has to stay of the 25 man roster to share time with Caleb.  I would think it would be a veteran catcher that bridges the gap to Sisco.

The outfield seems the logical place for a Rule 5 player on the O's replacing Reimold.  However I have not heard of anyone that seems a likely pick for Dan.

Or it could be another arm of which there are several.   Yimmi Brasoban, 22 year old RHP in Double A touches 98 in Padres system or Yonny Chirinos - 22 years old, excellent control, in Rays system, come to mind. 

What is the word on rosters expanding to 26? I could see that affecting what the Orioles do in terms of 3rd catcher or 8th reliever. 

Found this list of unprotected players. http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2016-rule-5-draft-preview/#K319J2jbwKW9UedQ.97

I coujld see them going with Chirinos, Webb, or Haley, if for no other reason than to weaken a division team as they have the last couple years with Almanzar, Garcia, and Rickard.

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Or it could be another arm of which there are several.   Yimmi Brasoban, 22 year old RHP in Double A touches 98 in Padres system or Yonny Chirinos - 22 years old, excellent control, in Rays system, come to mind. 

I'm on this train.

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Yumpin' Yiminy!  Yimmi and Yonny.

11 minutes ago, WEAVERMAN said:

I expect the only thing we'll be doing, consider the labor situation and our history, at the Winter Meeting is participating in this draft.  

Actually DD was pretty active in the early offseason last year. Signed O'Day Dec 11, and met with Boras to lay the groundwork for Davis. I kinda wish we had just focused on grinding the Rule 5. I certainly hope we don't go and bid against ourselves on Wieters this year.

Archived