Would trading Mancini be the best option now?

mdbdotcom

9 hours ago, Since'54 said:

Nick Markakis says hello.

Nick's ST in 2006 probably did help him to make the club.   But I think it was more his performance in the previous three years, including a red-hot end to 2005 where he tore up AA and the AFL, propelling him to being BA's no. 21 prospect in MLB.    He also had a lot of defensive value at the time.   And, it didn't hurt that the Orioles were awful.  

Understand, I think Mancini is ready for MLB.    I don't need ST to tell me that.    But he may not fit our team the way it's constructed.    

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nick's ST in 2006 probably did help him to make the club.   But I think it was more his performance in the previous three years, including a red-hot end to 2005 where he tore up AA and the AFL, propelling him to being BA's no. 21 prospect in MLB.    He also had a lot of defensive value at the time.   And, it didn't hurt that the Orioles were awful.  

Understand, I think Mancini is ready for MLB.    I don't need ST to tell me that.    But he may not fit our team the way it's constructed.    

I really don't see how he can be carried to start the year. He's limited to first base and there are already 3 guys on the roster who can play there. His only value would be as a short side platoon and they can probably find that in someone who can also help the club by having the ability to play a position they need. I don't see how you can carry a roster spot for a DH only short side platoon.

On 1/25/2017 at 8:51 AM, Frobby said:

DD is always saying stuff like this in the offseason before he has made his moves.   Every year he suggests that one of our minor leaguers is a good candidate to fill one of our roster spots, then he makes a move that suggests he was just saying things to keep the fan base from getting frantic.   In Mancini's case, I think he's a decent bet to be solid but not great major league hitter, but DD decided not to take the risk.    

It's all about the BATNA (best alternative to negotiated agreement) I think.  You don't say "oh my gosh we need this guy to fill a hole" before attempting to sign him a s a FA or trade for him.  You want the counterparty to understand/believe that you are perfectly ok NOT making the deal.

• 2 months later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Just did a bit of a walk. Some decently large braches down, one segment of privacy fence missing and standing water on the property in a low spot.  
    • Just woke up and I don't hear any wind or rain.
    • Not that I am in any way full agreement, but this is a classic post.  Doesn't Machado play chess?  Maybe we could get some chess boards in the clubhouse and junk all the legos.  Not all great baseball men are John McGraw bad asses.  Some can be Christy Mathewsons as well, I suppose.  Not that I imagine today's young players much resembling McGraw or Mathewson, but they are the first two contrasting old school types that come to mind.  I will say just based on his postseason alone I'd much rather have Tatis over Machado.
    • Well I refuse to believe that only the O's have no players that want extensions.
    • Customer advocate groups have tried for decades to force the cable companies to allow channel by channel (a la carte) subscriptions, but the cable companies fought this because it would result in far less revenue (than forcing us to pay for a hundred channels we don't watch).  The government refused to intervene, so we've been stuck with the existing business model for all this time.  Streaming is forcing the change because streaming -- for now -- is an a la carte model.   MLB's fear must be this: if the regional sports network cable channel model goes away, will most users pay anywhere close to what these channels made as part of a cable bundle for just one streaming channel where all you watch are Orioles games (or maybe Orioles and Nats games -- whatever the case may be)?  So if you pay $100/month for cable with MASN, you are probably watching at least a few other channels too.  But will you pay $15/month (or whatever the price may be) just to watch the Orioles -- even during the months when there is no baseball?  The existing basic cable model has been quite stable because people tend to watch at least 5 or 6 channels.  They're reluctant to cancel their whole cable package just because baseball season is over -- or they've been too busy to watch many games this season.  But with a single streaming channel of just baseball there is bound to be a far more unstable revenue base.  All the streaming channels are already dealing with this problem.  I think MLB is maybe reluctant to go all in on streaming for this reason.  Perhaps they're looking for new different model that could allow them to bundle individual team channels with Netflix, or Prime, or maybe with your cell phone plan or something else.  This could give them some stability, but it could also be a turn off for the more hardcore fans who just want the Orioles and little else.  It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out and if MLB, and the Orioles, will prosper or suffer as a result.
  • Popular Contributors