Would trading Mancini be the best option now?

mdbdotcom

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, esmd said:

You probably have better info than I do.  Last I heard, they were trying to work a deal with Napoli.  If that was still the case, you could try to sell them, on Mancini as a younger, cheaper alternative that could potentially blossom into a nice player for them.

Either way, I agree they need to trade Mancini.  He's blocked here, so might as well move him for whatever they can get back.  I just hope they don't regret it if he turns into a good player for someone else.

I agree, Mancini is probably best served by being moved.

Texas has Beltre, who isn't going anyway and which is why they didn't spend the money on EE or Napoli.

29 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That he's over 30 and has never been near that level before?  Also that 1.9 wins is not very good for someone with 667 PAs. Wieters and Hardy were worth about that in 2/3rds the playing time.

People keep throwing "career year" comments out there.  He has exceeded 2016's 1.6 WAR thrice before.  OPACY is the best hitter's park he has ever called home.  With Smith, Trumbo figures to not be in right field in two-thirds of the games - more if the Orioles bring someone else in to play RF vs. LHP.  His defense will not drag his WAR down nearly as much as it did last year.  WAR is also cumulative, so his 2015 season needs to have the WAR for each team added together.  It wasn't two 0.8 WAR seasons like some people are pretending here, it was one 1.6 WAR season split between two teams.  His loan season under 1.6 WAR, 2014, was an anomaly, as he missed almost half the season (played in 88 games).  The doom and gloom comments about Trumbo's prospects to succeed are very overstated, IMO.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

People keep throwing "career year" comments out there.  He has exceeded 2016's 1.6 WAR thrice before.  OPACY is the best hitter's park he has ever called home.  With Smith, Trumbo figures to not be in right field in two-thirds of the games - more if the Orioles bring someone else in to play RF vs. LHP.  His defense will not drag his WAR down nearly as much as it did last year.  WAR is also cumulative, so his 2015 season needs to have the WAR for each team added together.  It wasn't two 0.8 WAR seasons like some people are pretending here, it was one 1.6 WAR season split between two teams.  His loan season under 1.6 WAR, 2014, was an anomaly, as he missed almost half the season (played in 88 games).  The doom and gloom comments about Trumbo's prospects to succeed are very overstated, IMO.

The defensive adjustment for DH is pretty harsh.  The comments about Trumbo putting up more wins this year because he won't be in RF are very overstated. 

1 minute ago, ArtVanDelay said:

The defensive adjustment for DH is pretty harsh.  The comments about Trumbo putting up more wins this year because he won't be in RF are very overstated. 

He would have been under 3 wins at first.  His offensive season wasn't that great. 

He just doesn't get on base enough.

The best option for Mancini is to go to AAA and have a huge year and improve his defense at 1B.  His value to us is still much greater than we would get back in a trade.  Remember there is a 10 day DL now.  I could also see us not going with a rule 5 guy and instead having optionable guys as the 4th man on the bench.  Mancini could get called up just to match up vs tough LH SP's.  

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

It doesn't matter. He is here for several years now. Learn to love the bomb. 

dr-strangelove-still-580.jpg

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Maybe he isn't a more than adequate first baseman?

Well, he's played 4,000 innings at 1B in the minors with a fielding pct. of .994 with 26 errors.  By comparison, Chris Davis played 1,300 , .986, 18. Eric Hosmer played 2,000, .991. 20.  

2 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Well, he's played 4,000 innings at 1B in the minors with a fielding pct. of .994 with 26 errors.  By comparison, Chris Davis played 1,300 , .986, 18. Eric Hosmer played 2,000, .991. 20.  

All the evaluators have him at average or below for that position and that position alone. We can use our eyes to say differently, but I don't expect gold glove defense from Trey. He is strong though.

Archived