MASN Continues to Reject In-Market Streaming

adam_jonzin'

22 hours ago, McNulty said:

He's referencing Reddit streams. Or front row sports. It's too buggy and has so many pop up ads that I don't mind shelling out the $100 per year to always have high quality broadcasts. 

Plus, those streams infect you. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have not cut the cord, but I really couldn't care less about most of the non-MASN channels.    It's amazing how many of them are garbage, and I could easily get the ones I want without cable.   MASN's the only thing keeping me there, mostly because I don't like acquiring content illegally.   

I can't find anything that says it's illegal. I defer to the lawyer, but for sure using VPNs is legal. 

2 hours ago, McNulty said:

I can't find anything that says it's illegal. I defer to the lawyer, but for sure using VPNs is legal. 

Yeah, not sure anyone should be worried about the legality of *paying* for MLB.tv, and tricking the app to think you are out of market. While I'm sure there is something prohibiting this in the terms of service, I still can't see anyone giving a crap about the 1% of users doing this. 

On 2/11/2017 at 6:16 PM, McNulty said:

On 2/11/2017 at 9:10 PM, McLovin said:

Yeah, not sure anyone should be worried about the legality of *paying* for MLB.tv, and tricking the app to think you are out of market. While I'm sure there is something prohibiting this in the terms of service, I still can't see anyone giving a crap about the 1% of users doing this. 

o

Peter Griffin is watching (and taping) a Monday Night Football game:

A dozen FBI agents break into his home, with their guns drawn.

FBI Agents: ) "Do you have the expressed written consent of ABC Sports and the National Football League?"

Peter Griffin: ) "Just ABC."

[The FBI Agents blow the VCR to bits with their automatic rifles.]

o

15 hours ago, McLovin said:

Right, especially when MLB is trying to get rid of the blackout rules anyway.  I view this as a compromise between their RSN's nonsense and their desire to get the product out to as many people as possible.

On 2/11/2017 at 0:50 PM, weams said:

I guess if you watch on a phone they would be ok.

Personally I dont like being hunched over a phone watching sports.  It is hard to click out of all those pop up ads on the illegal feeds as well.  I'll pay a little more to be able to get a quality feed that wont send pop ups every few minutes and wont just freeze and kick me out of the feed.  I tried it and it was very very frustrating.    

49 minutes ago, terps19 said:

Personally I dont like being hunched over a phone watching sports.  It is hard to click out of all those pop up ads on the illegal feeds as well.  I'll pay a little more to be able to get a quality feed that wont send pop ups every few minutes and wont just freeze and kick me out of the feed.  I tried it and it was very very frustrating.    

Me too. Always.

On 2/10/2017 at 11:38 PM, McNulty said:

I'm pretty sure unblock us *is* a smart DNS, technically.  When you set it up, all you do is change 2 IP addresses.  

You can do what I suggested to Nash, which is add the Hola extension on chrome and cast/airplay it to your TV.  Personally I think putting it on the TV adds an unnecessary step.  I watched every game on my iPad mini in 2014 and didn't miss the TV at all.

Anyways, you don't need my help as it seems like you know more about this than I do.

I use IPVanish for my VPN. Wondering if there's any way to run MLB app on my Samsung Smart TV through IPVanish to get the blacked out games. If not, I suppose I'll just stick with my other devices.

I've never actually watched a game on the MLB app, on my TV. Is the picture quality better than cable? I would hope so. That's another reason I cut the cord. My senses have become jaded after watching hours and hours of streaming 4k HDR on Netflix. 

44 minutes ago, adam_jonzin' said:

I use IPVanish for my VPN. Wondering if there's any way to run MLB app on my Samsung Smart TV through IPVanish to get the blacked out games. If not, I suppose I'll just stick with my other devices.

I've never actually watched a game on the MLB app, on my TV. Is the picture quality better than cable? I would hope so. That's another reason I cut the cord. My senses have become jaded after watching hours and hours of streaming 4k HDR on Netflix. 

I think the picture is better on the app.  

Is your VPN in your router?  That's the way to get your devices to be able to use it.  

On 2/11/2017 at 1:45 AM, McNulty said:

What are you talking about?

You assume people will have to pay for the other channels you miss.  They don't.  You watch the shows you want a la carte, or download them via torrents.  My folks gave me their Verizon logon and my buddy gave me a Comcast one as well.  There are so many ways to watch TV now that do not require nearly as much money as paying for cable.  That doesn't even count fees for access to HD, multiple boxes, DVR, etc.  

I don't watch many TV shows.  I think I'm down to about 4.  I didn't even own a TV for a while.  Assuming you must pay for it one way or another is the old way of thinking.  And I pay for the VPN because I don't live in the states currently and it allows me to watch US only apps.

I am talking about legality of it.

1) Most people flip through channels to find what they want to watch.

2) a la carte is much more expensive. Since costs are spread out between millions of homes vs single homes. So for example, ESPN today is $7 under current system. Going to a la carte could double or triple that cost.  Under the current system NBC, Time Warner, Fox and so on.. can accept smaller returns on their channels such as E!, Cartoon Network, or BTN  with higher front end costs on primary channels and shift the costs to cover those I listed.

3) You are discounting costs for high speed internet to watch TV online.

4) Most TV channels are HD now because of Federal Law. Analog died in 2009 in the US as the FCC required all over the air channels to switch to HD.

5) I don't care what you watch. Either way you have to pay for it. Be it data costs on your phone, internet access or tv access. You don't get shit for free. If you do its OTA broadcasts. You are actually breaking Federal law when it comes to VPN.

But alas what do I know. My wife is in the industry and I was hired to by her company (Time Warner) to go over the numbers for a buyout by Charter. I know the numbers. I know what's profitable and what's not. Cable companies make their money via internet, not tv.

On 2/11/2017 at 7:31 AM, Frobby said:

I have not cut the cord, but I really couldn't care less about most of the non-MASN channels.    It's amazing how many of them are garbage, and I could easily get the ones I want without cable.   MASN's the only thing keeping me there, mostly because I don't like acquiring content illegally.   

You need internet to get most of those channels with out "traditional cable" and that's where cable companies get you. You know bundle packages. That's many of the points people are missing here.. what they do is A) highly illegal or B) they don't account for the cost of the internet.

11 hours ago, BradyBunch said:

I am talking about legality of it.

1) Most people flip through channels to find what they want to watch.

2) a la carte is much more expensive. Since costs are spread out between millions of homes vs single homes. So for example, ESPN today is $7 under current system. Going to a la carte could double or triple that cost.  Under the current system NBC, Time Warner, Fox and so on.. can accept smaller returns on their channels such as E!, Cartoon Network, or BTN  with higher front end costs on primary channels and shift the costs to cover those I listed.

3) You are discounting costs for high speed internet to watch TV online.

4) Most TV channels are HD now because of Federal Law. Analog died in 2009 in the US as the FCC required all over the air channels to switch to HD.

5) I don't care what you watch. Either way you have to pay for it. Be it data costs on your phone, internet access or tv access. You don't get shit for free. If you do its OTA broadcasts. You are actually breaking Federal law when it comes to VPN.

But alas what do I know. My wife is in the industry and I was hired to by her company (Time Warner) to go over the numbers for a buyout by Charter. I know the numbers. I know what's profitable and what's not. Cable companies make their money via internet, not tv.

I'm not doing anything illegal brother.  Besides 2010, I haven't lived in the MASN market since 1999.

My parents allow me to use their FIOS log-in.  My buddy works for Comcast and is *allowed* 10 extra log-ins for family and friends.  I pay $40 for internet and $20 for my phone per month.  Check out Project Fi if you don't believe me.  Beyond that, Comcast has hotspots all over the place you can use if you live near one (I did in California).  I pay *nothing* for cable TV. 

Beyond that, I wouldn't even need to if I didn't have the log ins.  You can buy a season of shows for, usually, $25 bucks.  Or wait until they come on Netflix/Prime.  The options are endless, truly.

You are still missing the point here, which is that you think cable is a must in some way or another.  Its not.  And its not like I'm some outlier; lots of people (and its growing) are finding out that they don't need the crutch of cable.  Which brings it all around to the O's.  I watch every O's game and many others as well.  Its worth it for the $100 dollars. 

I don't need cable, don't want it, and I save a lot of money each year by skipping it.  That's not up for dispute, its a fact.

Archived