MASN Continues to Reject In-Market Streaming

adam_jonzin'

An idea that would be good (Bear with me, I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject) would be for MLB.tv to stream the O's and Nats in their markets. However, MASN could do this directly and offer customers a service cheaper than MLB.tv. If you only want to watch the O's, you can pay to just watch the O's and vise versa for the Nats, with a package available for both if you desire it. You can also flip between the radio and TV broadcasters for the O's and Nats. The idea would be for it to be cheaper than going through MLB.tv and give the O's and Nats money directly to add to their broadcasting #'s. That and internet ads could be more prosperous than TV ads in the long run. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

An idea that would be good (Bear with me, I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject) would be for MLB.tv to stream the O's and Nats in their markets. However, MASN could do this directly and offer customers a service cheaper than MLB.tv. If you only want to watch the O's, you can pay to just watch the O's and vise versa for the Nats, with a package available for both if you desire it. You can also flip between the radio and TV broadcasters for the O's and Nats. The idea would be for it to be cheaper than going through MLB.tv and give the O's and Nats money directly to add to their broadcasting #'s. That and internet ads could be more prosperous than TV ads in the long run. 

That's a massive cost to engineer and implement and would benefit them less than using MLB's already established infrastructure. 

2 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

MASN makes much, much more money charging $3-4/subscriber per month to the millions of cable subscribers in DC, VA, MD, DE, NC, etc... than they would charging $100/year to the 100,000 or so that would willingly pay for MASN.  The model is starting to burst with cord cutting, but it is still the far more lucrative model.  The only near term hope for a cord cutting solution is getting MASN on SLING TV, VUE, or Directv NOW.

On 2/15/2017 at 0:26 PM, McNulty said:

I'm not doing anything illegal brother.  Besides 2010, I haven't lived in the MASN market since 1999.

My parents allow me to use their FIOS log-in.  My buddy works for Comcast and is *allowed* 10 extra log-ins for family and friends.  I pay $40 for internet and $20 for my phone per month.  Check out Project Fi if you don't believe me.  Beyond that, Comcast has hotspots all over the place you can use if you live near one (I did in California).  I pay *nothing* for cable TV. 

Beyond that, I wouldn't even need to if I didn't have the log ins.  You can buy a season of shows for, usually, $25 bucks.  Or wait until they come on Netflix/Prime.  The options are endless, truly.

You are still missing the point here, which is that you think cable is a must in some way or another.  Its not.  And its not like I'm some outlier; lots of people (and its growing) are finding out that they don't need the crutch of cable.  Which brings it all around to the O's.  I watch every O's game and many others as well.  Its worth it for the $100 dollars. 

I don't need cable, don't want it, and I save a lot of money each year by skipping it.  That's not up for dispute, its a fact.

Actually you are doing something illegal despite what you think. Using an account that is not yours is actually illegal. It falls under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. But that's your own thing.

I am not saying options aren't endless. I have Netflix and Prime accounts myself because they actually do produce some good shows and I can wait to watch stuff from HBO and Showtime.. then binge watch it.

You can't get Internet at fast enough speeds without going through a Cable company. Just isn't possible. You can't survive without access to a FIOS account or your buddy. 4G is less then 15 mbps. 

You seem to mistake Cable just means TV. It's also internet. FIOS comes from a Cable division of Verizon. Comcast is a Cable company. You use those things. So you obviously can't do with out it.

Despite what you think, I'm not doing anything illegal.  My home of record in the states is at my folks; I'm active duty over seas man. Comcast allows family/friends for employees. 

If you are arguing that having internet is still cable...uh what?  I'm talking about paying for TV. 

I've already told you I don't *need* those accounts.  I don't even need to own a TV.  My current internet speed is around 10-15 mpbs.  Is that sufficient for you?  It is for me.  DSL exists too.

Do you have stock in Comcast or something?  You are completely clueless about how people are living these days. 

On 2/21/2017 at 10:40 AM, McNulty said:

Despite what you think, I'm not doing anything illegal.  My home of record in the states is at my folks; I'm active duty over seas man. Comcast allows family/friends for employees. 

If you are arguing that having internet is still cable...uh what?  I'm talking about paying for TV. 

I've already told you I don't *need* those accounts.  I don't even need to own a TV.  My current internet speed is around 10-15 mpbs.  Is that sufficient for you?  It is for me.  DSL exists too.

Do you have stock in Comcast or something?  You are completely clueless about how people are living these days. 

I'd guess the later. He works for a cable company. But he is right about one thing: cable companies make their money from broadband subscriptions, not TV. I was paying $170/mo after taxes and fees for internet, phone, and cable w/ HBO and 2x HD DVRs. After cutting all of the fat, trimming down to an internet only plan saved me about $75. I still pay $97 for 100mbps!

And we can dispute whether VPN or sharing login credentials is illegal all we want but the fact is, nobody cares. Do you know of one person who's been tracked down by a cable company for signing in under their parent's name? There is literally no way the cable companies would ever invest the amount of time and energy it would take to stop that kind of thing. It's not like they can just block logins from an outside IP address, because they tout the ability to "watch from anywhere".

Cable television is a relic. The only thing keeping it alive really, are live sports and premium subscriptions (like HBO and Showtime). They know this. And you can bet your ass Peter Angelos knows this. But what he doesn't know is that he's alienating fans -- and that's just bad for business. 

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:15 PM, LookitsPuck said:

Then I'll just continue to pay for a VPN service and use MLB.tv. I'm sure MLB doesn't mind one bit. Screw you, MASN.

Can you or anyone else on here message me your VPN service... or information on how you watch the Orioles on MLB.tv.  My Comcast service is up in about 9 days.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, adam_jonzin' said:

I'd guess the later. He works for a cable company. But he is right about one thing: cable companies make their money from broadband subscriptions, not TV. I was paying $170/mo after taxes and fees for internet, phone, and cable w/ HBO and 2x HD DVRs. After cutting all of the fat, trimming down to an internet only plan saved me about $75. I still pay $97 for 100mbps!

And we can dispute whether VPN or sharing login credentials is illegal all we want but the fact is, nobody cares. Do you know of one person who's been tracked down by a cable company for signing in under their parent's name? There is literally no way the cable companies would ever invest the amount of time and energy it would take to stop that kind of thing. It's not like they can just block logins from an outside IP address, because they tout the ability to "watch from anywhere".

Cable television is a relic. The only thing keeping it alive really, are live sports and premium subscriptions (like HBO and Showtime). They know this. And you can bet your ass Peter Angelos knows this. But what he doesn't know is that he's alienating fans -- and that's just bad for business. 

o

Area Man Won't Do Anything without the Express Written Consent of the N.F.L.

(The Associated Press/The Onion)

http://www.theonion.com/article/area-man-wont-do-anything-without-express-written--5150

11 hours ago, Mayor McCheese said:

Can you or anyone else on here message me your VPN service... or information on how you watch the Orioles on MLB.tv.  My Comcast service is up in about 9 days.

Thank you!

Go back a few pages. I detailed it already. 

It's weird..I live in zip code 20850 and I can stream the Orioles and Nats on MLB.TV in my apartment.  I currently have comcast with MASN as well.  But when I visit my parents house in zip code 20855 the Orioles and Nats are blacked out.  I've been confused as to how this works, but I probably could cut the cord.  

I've tried downloading free VPN apps on my ipad, but I don't know what I'm doing so I end up just turning on my slingbox and leaving it on masn so i can watch the games at my parents house when I visit. 

Took McNulty's advice and got the Hola VPN and I'm watching the Yankees vs. O's game right now on MLB-At Bat with no problems. With that VPN on either my iPad or iPhone, it works beautifully. I signed up for the new home team streaming package.

I am having some issues with streaming it via AirPlay to my Apple TV, but I expect to work that out soon. It accesses the game, but the screen is black. May be an Apple issue. Am fine right now with it on my mobile devices. But my wife would prefer to watch the evening games with me on the TV.

Edit: I did get AirPlay to stream from my Macbook to the Apple TV. That'll make the wife and kids happy. I'm fine to watch it on iPad if that's how it shakes out.

Archived