MASN Continues to Reject In-Market Streaming

adam_jonzin'

A real shocker here, folks. Amidst the recent lifting of in-market blackout restrictions, MASN is one of only two remaining networks refusing to allow in-market streaming of their club's games in 2017, perfectly demonstrating the exact number of fudgenuts Peter Angelos gives when it comes to his fanbase. 

http://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/rob-manfred-says-market-streaming-deals-close-three-mlb-teams.html

I hate ranting, but this got me pretty worked up. I happen to be in middle of the "cord-cutting" process and falsely believed I might actually be able to watch the O's on the MLB.tv app. When I found this article and saw, "all but three teams..." in the title -- there really was no reason to continue reading. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, adam_jonzin' said:

A real shocker here, folks. Amidst the recent lifting of in-market blackout restrictions, MASN is one of only two remaining networks refusing to allow in-market streaming of their club's games in 2017, perfectly demonstrating the exact number of fudgenuts Peter Angelos gives when it comes to his fanbase. 

http://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/rob-manfred-says-market-streaming-deals-close-three-mlb-teams.html

I hate ranting, but this got me pretty worked up. I happen to be in middle of the "cord-cutting" process and falsely believed I might actually be able to watch the O's on the MLB.tv app. When I found this article and saw, "all but three teams..." in the title -- there really was no reason to continue reading. 

One of two networks? Is the other one MASN2? J/K I'm sure they are both counted as one in this instance.

Like you, I cut the cord once and was annoyed at the blackouts on MLB.tv although I thought it was a really good platform otherwise. I reconnected the cord a few years ago mostly so I could watch the O's. They are really the only reason I remain corded. I love Sunday Ticket, but I could live without it.

The MLB.tv app lets you stream a ton of baseball games. It's like Sunday Ticket. With one caveat: for years now, it has been impossible to stream a team's games from inside of that team's market, due to blackout restrictions imposed by the league which benefit that team's local broadcast network. I could stream an O's game on the MLB.tv app (which is subscription based) only from outside of the market -- say, in Florida. 

For 2017, that rule is expiring and networks are pivoting to allow in-market streaming of their club's games. They're doing this because of shifting viewing trends -- knowing fans are cutting the cable cord. Not wanting to lose them.

But there appears to be some sort of "States Rights" situation where individual clubs/networks have the right to decide. And all of them have decided to go with the trends -- except for MASN (and the LA Dodgers, I believe).

4 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Then I'll just continue to pay for a VPN service and use MLB.tv. I'm sure MLB doesn't mind one bit. Screw you, MASN.

Bingo!!  I will do this if I ever move back to an in market area.  I pay $89 a year to watch all the baseball I can handle on my computer, phone, tablet, or streaming through a Roku or PS4.  And the best part is that I have not yet hit the "limit" in number of devices I can use- my friends all use my account it is great!  

30 minutes ago, adam_jonzin' said:

The Nats have definitely been held hostage through all of this.

That was always the idea of MASN. Come in to the market, but don't prosper. In perpetuity. And the Nats and MLB felt they could get around that. 

25 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Sounds like they are jerking the Nats  chain  keep masn front and center until dispute is resolved.

12 minutes ago, adam_jonzin' said:

The Nats have definitely been held hostage through all of this.

I don't see what this issue has to do with prejudicing the Nats.   

1 hour ago, terps19 said:

Bingo!!  I will do this if I ever move back to an in market area.  I pay $89 a year to watch all the baseball I can handle on my computer, phone, tablet, or streaming through a Roku or PS4.  And the best part is that I have not yet hit the "limit" in number of devices I can use- my friends all use my account it is great!  

Hey, I'm your friend! What was that password again:)

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't see what this issue has to do with prejudicing the Nats.   

It depends on how the MLB.tv money is distributed. I'm assuming that the Nats might get more money if more viewers watched the games via MLB.tv versus direct MASN. I don't know the pay flow from MLB.tv to local RSN's and to the teams. I assume the local RSN"s are compensated somehow. I think pumping viewers to the local Fox sports channel that paid the Dodgers an incredible amount of money is why the Dodgers rejected the deal. But I'm making the assumption that the local RSN must do better if MLB.tv is not available. I don't know that for a fact.

Archived