Florida Marlins (2014 - Present)

OFFNY

o

Obviously, the death of Jose Fernandez last September puts a major crimp in the evolution/continuation of their young pitching staff.

POSTED IN April of 2014:

o

The Marlins have 4 starting pitchers with ERA's under 3, and one of the four has an ERA under 2.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2014.shtml

Jose Fernandez OO.lOO.llOo. 1.59

Nathan Eovaldi OlOOO.lllllOo. 2.58

Henderson Alvarez olOllllO 2.73

Tom Koehler OOOOOOOOllllllOo 2.97

o

POSTED IN April of 2015:

o

Eovaldi was traded for David Phelps (and Martin Pardo) in the off-season.

They still have Alvarez, Koehler, and Fernandez, although Fernandez has not yet come back from Tommy John surgery, and Koehler is on the 15-day disabled list.

Phelps (acquired in the Eovaldi trade) is off to a good start this season.

They have added Dan Haren and Jared Cosart.

I don't believe that this team is as deep as the Mets are in the starting pitching department (whom I have been touting since 2013), but I do believe that after Fernandez comes back for a while, they may possibly have a future as a contender in 2016 and beyond.

Last year, they went a fairly respectable 77-85 without Fernandez for most of the season.

o

o

POSTED IN April of 2016:

o

In a sense, it may actually be easier overall for Don Mattingly in Florida than it was in southern California.

With the Dodgers, the expectations were through the roof ........ especially with their historically high payroll that exceeded $300 Million this past season.

The Marlins, on the other hand, have not had a winning season since 2009, and their payroll is ...... very low.

The newly healthy Jose Fernandez (who just came off of Tommy John surgery, and was excellent in the 11 games that he pitched in 2015) and his young cohorts in the Marlins' starting rotation (Conley, Cosart, Nicolino, etc.) will definitely have their work cut out for them in 2016 and beyond.

If Mattingly can somehow get the Marlins to win a respectable 85 or 86 games anytime over the next few seasons, that will likely be viewed as being more impressive than any kind of success(es) that he had attained in his tenure with the Dodgers, which included 3 consecutive N.L. West division championships and 3 consecutive seasons of winning more than 90 games between 2013 and 2015 (92-70, 94-68, and 92-70, respectively.)

o

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2017 at 6:27 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Obviously, the death of Jose Fernandez last September puts a major crimp in the evolution/continuation of their young pitching staff.

POSTED IN April of 2014:

o

The Marlins have 4 starting pitchers with ERA's under 3, and one of the four has an ERA under 2.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2014.shtml

Jose Fernandez OO.)OO.l.lOo. 1.59

Nathan Eovaldi OlOOO.lllllOo. 2.58

Henderson Alvarez olllOllllO 2.73

Tom Koehler OOOOOOOllO)lllllOo 2.97

o

POSTED IN April of 2015:

o

Eovaldi was traded for David Phelps (and Martin Pardo) in the off-season.

They still have Alvarez, Koehler, and Fernandez, although Fernandez has not yet come back from Tommy John surgery, and Koehler is on the 15-day disabled list.

Phelps (acquired in the Eovaldi trade) is off to a good start this season.

They have added Dan Haren and Jared Cosart.

I don't believe that this team is as deep as the Mets are in the starting pitching department (whom I have been touting since 2013), but I do believe that after Fernandez comes back for a while, they may possibly have a future as a contender in 2016 and beyond.

Last year, they went a fairly respectable 77-85 without Fernandez for most of the season.

o

POSTED IN April of 2016:

o

In a sense, it may actually be easier overall for Don Mattingly in Florida than it was in southern California.

With the Dodgers, the expectations were through the roof ........ especially with their historically high payroll that exceeded $300 Million this past season.

The Marlins, on the other hand, have not had a winning season since 2009, and their payroll is ...... very low.

The newly healthy Jose Fernandez (who just came off of Tommy John surgery, and was excellent in the 11 games that he pitched in 2015) and his young cohorts in the Marlins' starting rotation (Conley, Cosart, Nicolino, etc.) will definitely have their work cut out for them in 2016 and beyond.

If Mattingly can somehow get the Marlins to win a respectable 85 or 86 games anytime over the next few seasons, that will likely be viewed as being more impressive than any kind of success(es) that he had attained in his tenure with the Dodgers, which included 3 consecutive N.L. West division championships and 3 consecutive seasons of winning more than 90 games between 2013 and 2015 (92-70, 94-68, and 92-70, respectively.)

o

o

In spite of the death of Jose Fernandez, the Marlins' starting pitching has gotten off to a solid start to the 2017 season.

o

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/24/2017 at 3:38 PM, OFFNY said:

o

In spite of the death of Jose Fernandez, the Marlins' starting pitching has gotten off to a solid start to the 2017 season.

o

o

The Marlins are a respectable 63-63 after 126 games.

Young Jose Urena has done a very nice in job with the unenviable task of replacing the late Jose Fernandez.

Former Marlins staple Tom Koehler pitched 5 innings of 1-run ball this afternoon in a losing effort against the Rays.

o

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

The Marlins are a respectable 63-63 after 126 games.

Young Jose Urena has done a very nice in job with the unenviable task of replacing the late Jose Fernandez.

Former Marlins staple Tom Koehler pitched 5 innings of 1-run ball this afternoon in a losing effort against the Rays.

o

They're trying to move from pretenders to contenders for a NL wild card, may need to watch Stanton launch a few in DC next week. If I go, hope to catch Ichiro in a game as well.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, O's are Legends said:

They're trying to move from pretenders to contenders for a NL wild card, may need to watch Stanton launch a few in DC next week. If I go, hope to catch Ichiro in a game as well.

If the Marlins somehow sneak into a wild card spot, I think Stanton would be the front-runner for MVP.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MDtransplant757 said:

This didn't age well

I laughed.  And their catcher is next - perhaps to the Nats - but the Nats are not going to give them either of their great OF prospects.   

They did get a nice package for Yelich.  I'm a big Lew Brunson believer, and the 3 other prospects they got looked pretty decent.       

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

I laughed.  And their catcher is next - perhaps to the Nats - but the Nats are not going to give them either of their great OF prospects.   

They did get a nice package for Yelich.  I'm a big Lew Brunson believer, and the 3 other prospects they got looked pretty decent.       

They almost got Vlad jr for him