Camden Depot: Should the Orioles Upgrade Their Rotation

weams

Just now, weams said:

by trading Trey Mancini

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2017/05/trading-jimenez-for-kendall-graveman.html

To be fair, Ubaldo Jimenez is doing what he has always done.  The performance aspect, runs allowed, look worse, but it really is not much different than what Baltimore has seen from him in the past.  He has similar velocity, similar movement in his pitches, and similar placement.  Some of the major issues plaguing him are: (1) he appears to be getting squeezed. (2) he has worked the high end of the zone slightly more (which has worked out for him), and (3) he seems to be particularly vulnerable to low middle pitches, which is new.  Solutions to those issues would be (1) pair him with Caleb Joseph, (2) well, dealing high requires more control, so, eh (see: Miguel Gonzalez), and (3) maybe Joseph can help here, too.

I'm not sure how I feel about trading Mancini, but here are a few trade ideas. The second one is probably the more realistic of the two. 

1) Mancini to the Dodgers for Alex Wood. This would assume they give up on Gonzalez as an everyday player and commit to playing Bellanger at 1B. 

2) Mancini to the D-Backs for Archie Bradley. Bradley hasn't been able to crack their rotation this year, but with the way he's pitched out of the pen I think he deserves another shot. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm not sure how I feel about trading Mancini, but here are a few trade ideas. The second one is probably the more realistic of the two. 

1) Mancini to the Dodgers for Alex Wood. This would assume they give up on Gonzalez as an everyday player and commit to playing Bellanger at 1B. 

2) Mancini to the D-Backs for Archie Bradley. Bradley hasn't been able to crack their rotation this year, but with the way he's pitched out of the pen I think he deserves another shot. 

I've seen the D-back trade posited before.

Why would they want Mancini?

Would you play Mancini in front of Goldy, Tomas or Peralta?

42 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Wow, you think the Dodgers would trade a 26 yo LH who is 5-0 with a 1.88 ERA for Trey Mancini?

They might  do it for Trey Mancini and say Schoop

Why not? You're neglecting to mention how small of a sample size we have (with Wood). And the Dodgers have a glut of SPs. There's no chance it would take both Mancini and Schoop. 

What about Sonny Gray as a trade target? 

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A lot of folks at the Hangout think very highly of Mr Mancini.

As they should. He's done nothing but improve his stock this season. Most importantly he's shown that he can be a "playable" outfielder. That was in doubt when the season started. 

The best way we could upgrade our rotation is by inserting Asher or Ynoa.  Asher has earned his chance the old fashioned way by proving himself out of the pen.  Ynoa looked good in his outing vs CWS.  Inserting Asher would de-stabalize the pen.  Ynoa is pitching for the first time tonight since his outing against the CWS.  Also Asher's potential replacement, Logan Verrett, has been on Paternity leave.  

Asher could go into the rotation shorty with Verrett taking his spot in the pen.  Or Asher could stay in the pen, and Ynoa could fill the rotation spot.  I think we're good.  We just need to get healthy.  

Archived