2017 3rd round pick (98): Mike Baumann - RHP - Jacksonville University

6'4" 225lbs DOB: 09/10/95

With a fastball consistently in the mid-90s and the ability to throw three breaking pitches, Baumann is on the pro baseball radar and in line for a solid signing bonus, too.

One baseball scout... said that Baumann’s size and power make him a solid Day 2 prospect.

“Baumann’s probably the only [local] guy, he’ll probably go in the top five rounds,” said the scout. “He’s a big, strong, athletic guy. Fastball, curveball, slider mix. He’ll have to obviously work on his changeup, but he’s an arm strength guy. He’s got a chance [in pro ball], a big physical guy like that.”

http://jacksonville.com/sports/jacksonville-dolphins/2017-06-11/baseball-draft-feels-different-time-ju-s-michael-baumann

Video

Tony Quick Take: Big tall right-hander with a good fastball, some command issues, and below average secondaries. Seems about right for a 3rd round pick so there's some things to like here. Will get run out as a starter most likely early on his career, but most likely ticketed to the pen at some point where his fastball-slider combo could become a weapon.

Baumann, a 6-4, 225-pound three-year star for the Dolphins, is pegged by Baseball America as the 104th best player available. Regionally, Suwannee High catcher Sam McMillan comes in at No. 118 by that publication.

Baumann’s spot is quite a shift from the last time that he found himself testing the draft currents.

At Mahtomedi High (Minn.), Baumann was a 34th-round selection of the home state Twins in 2014. He’d already signed with JU, and such a low selection that year meant that going to college instead of pro baseball was an easy decision to make. If he progressed in college, Baumann would ideally would get another shot at the draft.

That time has arrived.

“The first time, it was definitely a dream come true. That’s something you think about as a little kid. It was a surreal moment,” he said. “I knew I was going to go off to JU. Now, actually hitting my junior year, honestly my thoughts on it, it hasn’t really hit me yet. You’re starting off at the bottom [going into pro ball]. It’s like just the first step. It’ll be an emotional day for me and my family. My time at JU has flown by.”

With a fastball consistently in the mid-90s and the ability to throw three breaking pitches, Baumann is on the pro baseball radar and in line for a solid signing bonus, too.

“He doesn’t have a whole lot of mileage on his body, on his arm,” Hayes said. “He was a good football player in high school and didn’t get a chance to play a whole lot of baseball. I think he’s played more baseball the last three years than he has in his whole life. He’s going to continue to master his craft. Every tool is there; there’s arm strength, hand speed, the body strength is there, the work ethic is there. All the boxes are checked for him. It just depends on his willingness to learn and really hone his location.”

http://jacksonville.com/sports/jacksonville-dolphins/2017-06-11/baseball-draft-feels-different-time-ju-s-michael-baumann

Big guy, big arm, and not a lot of mileage on his arm. Definitely sounds interesting, but he needs a little polish. 

"Jacksonville University has had its fair share of draftees, Daniel Murphy being by far the most successful, but only a half-dozen have been taken in the top three rounds of the regular Draft in June. Baumann's size and stuff give him the chance to give the program a lucky No. 7 taken in the early rounds this year. A product of the Minnesota high school ranks, Baumann's 6-foot-4 frame and plus fastball have gotten plenty of attention this spring. He's been touching 95 mph consistently throughout his starts. He throws two breaking balls, a fringy curveball and a slider that flashes above-average. He mixes in a viable changeup as well. Baumann's arm action can get a bit long, making it tougher for him to repeat his delivery. That, in turn, leads to command issues. Baumann's arm strength, durable frame and potential four-pitch mix could give him the chance to at least get sent out as a starter. But a team taking him in the top three rounds will also know that shortening him up and putting him in the bullpen could allow his fastball-slider combination to play up and get him to the big leagues more quickly." -mlb.com

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

"Jacksonville University has had its fair share of draftees, Daniel Murphy being by far the most successful, but only a half-dozen have been taken in the top three rounds of the regular Draft in June. Baumann's size and stuff give him the chance to give the program a lucky No. 7 taken in the early rounds this year. A product of the Minnesota high school ranks, Baumann's 6-foot-4 frame and plus fastball have gotten plenty of attention this spring. He's been touching 95 mph consistently throughout his starts. He throws two breaking balls, a fringy curveball and a slider that flashes above-average. He mixes in a viable changeup as well. Baumann's arm action can get a bit long, making it tougher for him to repeat his delivery. That, in turn, leads to command issues. Baumann's arm strength, durable frame and potential four-pitch mix could give him the chance to at least get sent out as a starter. But a team taking him in the top three rounds will also know that shortening him up and putting him in the bullpen could allow his fastball-slider combination to play up and get him to the big leagues more quickly." -mlb.com

Reminds me of Mike Wright's profile when he was drafted

Archived