This is what happens when your owner dies.

weams

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Deadwood Fan said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If Cal Ripken talking about return to game, sights still set on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a>. Industry insiders say <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLB?src=hash">#MLB</a> won&#39;t allow Angelos&#39; sons to own team</p>&mdash; thom loverro (@thomloverro) <a href="https://twitter.com/thomloverro/status/359008223346442240">July 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks, was not doubting you. Just his info. 

On 7/27/2017 at 0:54 PM, Roy Firestone said:

Just asking. If Peter Angelos is such a horrible owner...did the Orioles who made the playoffs in 3 out of the last 4 seasons just do that in spite of him?And how about his contributions, which are massive, to the community?I think the days of blaming Peter Angelos for anything and everything are gone. Blame someone else if you must,Maybe we can start with our pitchers...or is that Peter's fault too?

Duquette and Buck weren't Angelos' first choices for their positions. I give Angelos credit for hiring MacPhail and giving him more freedom and respect than he gave the front office during the 14 year losing streak. But the recent success of the team certainly doesn't seem to have anything to do with some grand plan of Peter Angelos. 

On 7/27/2017 at 6:56 PM, MDtransplant757 said:

Those geniuses only produced 1. Other two were mainly by DD and Epstein, who the latter took most of his staff with him to Chicago. The former built the foundation that Epstein added to and won the WS with. 

Duquette doesn't deserve much credit for that '04 team. The only key contributors on that team from the Duquette era on that team were Varitek, Pedro Martinez, Tim Wakefield, Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon. That's like five players and two of those guys were acquired because the Red Sox gave them a boatload of money in free agency. If the Orioles win a World Series two years after Duquette is gone and the only key players left on the team from the DD era are Chris Davis, Jonathan Schoop, and Trey Mancini while the rest of the best players on the team are acquired by the new GM, I don't think anybody on this board would be giving Duquette any credit. 

22 hours ago, Deadwood Fan said:

Thom Loverro tweeted a few years ago that MLB won't allow Angelos sons to own the team. 

22 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure they have the power to stop them.

Do inheritors have to go through the same approval process?

22 hours ago, weams said:

Especially if they are on the ownership docs already. 

I believe every team has to name a controlling person, and MLB has to approve that person or any change in that person.    So yes, I think there could be a process.    I'm a bit doubtful that MLB would veto Angelos' son, however, unless they are in the mood for ten more years of litigating an issue with Orioles' management.   

2 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Duquette doesn't deserve much credit for that '04 team. The only key contributors on that team from the Duquette era on that team were Varitek, Pedro Martinez, Tim Wakefield, Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon. That's like five players and two of those guys were acquired because the Red Sox gave them a boatload of money in free agency. If the Orioles win a World Series two years after Duquette is gone and the only key players left on the team from the DD era are Chris Davis, Jonathan Schoop, and Trey Mancini while the rest of the best players on the team are acquired by the new GM, I don't think anybody on this board would be giving Duquette any credit. 

I spit my water out all over my keyboard when I read that sentence.  Only?  xD

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I believe every team has to name a controlling person, and MLB has to approve that person or any change in that person.    So yes, I think there could be a process.    I'm a bit doubtful that MLB would veto Angelos' son, however, unless they are in the mood for ten more years of litigating an issue with Orioles' management.   

What's the basis for suing MLB if it didn't approve Angelos's heir(s) as owner(s) of the team  so long as they get plenty of time to sell the team?

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

What's the basis for suing MLB if it didn't approve Angelos's heir(s) as owner(s) of the team  so long as they get plenty of time to sell the team?

I'm sure a creative lawyer could come up with all kinds of legal theories.     I'm not saying they'd necessarily work, but I'd bet you could drag something through the courts for years.    Heck, Angelos got the MASN deal by threatening litigation over MLB putting a team here, when his legal claims were very weak IMO.    And we're now five years in to the rights fees dispute, and that could easily take another five years to resolve.    Given the background to that case, it wouldn't be hard to allege that MLB teams were conspiring to screw the Angelos family in retaliation for the MASN case, etc.

On 7/29/2017 at 5:09 PM, spiritof66 said:

Probably not much.  I'm sure buying into a successful professional league is like buying a new house.  Builders contracts are one sided. 

Archived