Enough is enough, Tillman does not need another start

Barnaby Graves

He's delusional and so are the Orioles. He's hurt. There's statistical evidence that he's hurt. His velocity is good but his release point is compromised and has been since he's been back. He has to go on the DL or he has to be DFA, there's no other option here. If he continues to get starts, it's inexcusable. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping after his starts on 7/17 and 7/22 (6 innings, 1 ER and 5.1 innings, 3 ER respectively) that he was turning the corner a bit.  But these last two starts have been a reversion back to his season long struggles (4.1 innings, 8 ER and 2 innings, 5 ER respectively).  They can't keep him in the rotation.  And with his worst struggles usually being in the first inning as he tries to get loose, you can't put him in the bullpen.  At this point, it's seems like their only options are the DL until 9/1 when you can stash him on the roster and not use him, or an outright release.  Even though he's making a lot of money, I don't think they'd outright release him based on his history with the team, but we'll see.

29 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's delusional and so are the Orioles. He's hurt. There's statistical evidence that he's hurt. His velocity is good but his release point is compromised and has been since he's been back. He has to go on the DL or he has to be DFA, there's no other option here. If he continues to get starts, it's inexcusable. 

At least put him in the bullpen where he can "work on his mechanics" without killing the team.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

At least put him in the bullpen where he can "work on his mechanics" without killing the team.

I guess, but I don't want a hurt player on the 25 man roster. Can a team DL a player without the player admitting he's hurt? I'm unclear on that.

I agree he's had his chances 8.10 ERA LOL :( even Tyler Wilson might be able to equal that, and when I say I would rather see Ubaldo start it's time to push Tillman out of the rotation.

I don't care if he says he's fine his stuff is badly diminished.

Just now, TouchemAll said:

I agree he's had his chances 8.10 ERA LOL :( even Tyler Wilson might be able to equal that, and when I say I would rather see Ubaldo start it's time to push Tillman out of the rotation.

If the O's brass truly wants to believe the Orioles have a shot at the playoffs, which they apparently do, they cannot give Tillman any more chances. 

Just now, interloper said:

I guess, but I don't want a hurt player on the 25 man roster. Can a team DL a player without the player admitting he's hurt? I'm unclear on that.

You are right, if he is hurt he should be on the DL. I would assume that would have already happened by now if that is the case. 

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

You are right, if he is hurt he should be on the DL. I would assume that would have already happened by now if that is the case. 

It IS the case. There's plenty of evidence to back it up. He's lying and saying he's not hurt, or he doesn't understand that he is hurt because he feels ok. It doesn't matter if you feel ok if the inflammation in your shoulder is compromising your delivery mechanics, which is absolutely is.

1 hour ago, NedFromYork said:

It was a double play ball so huge.

Castro went six innings, does that mean he is stretched out now and could be an option in the six man rotation?

Disagree. Tillman still looked like a steaming pile of dog doo, that missed ball aside. Like he has all season. Dude's hurt. He shouldn't make another start.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Can you share you factual information about Tillman being injured. The MASN radar gun was showing 95 yesterday which discredits your claim.

Tillmans mechanics are a mess as he is missing with way too many pitchers far outside the zone, Such as a pitch over the catchers head....balls way outside or so far in the dirt that they are just waste pitches.

The ball through Becham's legs is just bad luck for Tillman and clearly hurts him when he was struggling. Sent a bad situation to worse. Clearly nothing is going right for him including luck. I agree Tillman could use a DL stint to work on his mechanics. Again I think his fastball velocity says he's not injured

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

It IS the case. There's plenty of evidence to back it up. He's lying and saying he's not hurt, or he doesn't understand that he is hurt because he feels ok. It doesn't matter if you feel ok if the inflammation in your shoulder is compromising your delivery mechanics, which is absolutely is.

If he can't feel it, he is not hurt. He just stinks. That happens when people get old. 

11 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Disagree. Tillman still looked like a steaming pile of dog doo, that missed ball aside. Like he has all season. Dude's hurt. He shouldn't make another start.

How do you explain a 95 MPH fastball that you claimed was hurt?

mechanics are a miss probably due to missing so much time, and not being right.

he looks lost right now ....The missed double play was huge and if you think otherwise you've never played organized sports. The guy had to be thinking that he made the pitch and the fielder booted it. Same thing happened to Britton a few weeks ago when he was charged 2 runs when Tejada couldn't handle the liner right at him.

Archived