Turn Out the Lights

weams

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Well one thing is for sure whatever package was offered for Britton in July will never be offered again.

Now they will tender him a large arb contract and he can be a big contributor to the second consecutive losing season

You never know how things are going to turn out, whether we sold or not. However, I do know this - Duquette never once called to ask my opinion and that if I had been in charge, you all would be enjoying 5-4-3 double plays going from Flaherty to Schoop to a bag of sand and a box of raisins (it's all I could get for Davis and I only was able to swing for the raisins because of his defense). But, farm system would be rich (probably)!

At some point, I'm along for this ride no matter what. No matter what picture perfect scenario I may have in my head, I know it's all theoretical and nobody really cares what my opinion or speculation on constructing this franchise is. But, we can still have fun pretending to be GMs  and we can each be Pagliacci, laughing at the torment that poisons our hearts. 

Another wasted season of assets by Danny boy.

Perfect opportunity to trade an overrated asset like Britton and he fails miserable yet again. Then he compounds things by adding Hellickson.

Sure, it appears he got lucky with Beckham but it appears he is coming back to reality a little bit too.

Its time to stop giving his total incompetence a pass.

8 hours ago, Norfolk orioles said:

Another wasted season of assets by Danny boy.

Perfect opportunity to trade an overrated asset like Britton and he fails miserable yet again. Then he compounds things by adding Hellickson.

Sure, it appears he got lucky with Beckham but it appears he is coming back to reality a little bit too.

Its time to stop giving his total incompetence a pass.

I'm not giving him a pass but I thought Angelos stopped him from trading Zach. 

All organizations have their weaknesses.

This organization's biggest weakness is its inability to be honest with themselves about who they are and where they are in the division. I concur that they have given us plenty of reason to believe in their ability to overachieve over the last handful of years. The injury to Tillman was a death knell to an untested, mediocre pitching rotation. Britton's injury compounded an existing issue. Don't fool yourself, a healthy Britton this year wouldn't have moved the needle too much.

It's time to rebuild this exhausted minor league system again. In my opinion, they should have started moving the impactful pieces after LAST season... obviously with the realities of GM & manager contracts (and incoming $$$ from ticket sales), it's not an easy decision to trade your most valuable commodities. But it should be clear to everyone now that trading Britton & Machado last offseason would have springboarded the depth in this organization.

Yes, they would have had their growing pains. Yes, they would have lost 90 games or whatever this season. Yes, they would have had a top 5-10 draft pick next season. Yes, yes, yes.

When you are not going to layout $350MM for one of the best talents this organization has ever seen, you need to be realistic and honest with your fanbase. You need to realize you're not always going to catch lightning in a bottle. You need to do the best thing for the long term competitive interest of the organization.

If they DON'T jumpstart a rebuild this offseason, we will all regret it. If it's not clear to you now..... I don't know what to tell you.

The deal for Britton was not good enough to make the move.  A deal headlined around Colin Moran is not a deal he should have made so getting upset about that has no point.  He also was not going to trade his record breaking reliever in the off season so again getting mad there has no point.  No GM is going to trade their closer in that situation.

47 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Don't fool yourself, a healthy Britton this year wouldn't have moved the needle too much.

That's not entirely true... we did not win the majority of our 11 blown saves this season.  Converting those losses into wins (with highly reliable and healthy 2016ish Britton) would have us right in the window of strongly competing for, or holding, the second WC.

However I certainly don't disagree with the majority of this and your larger point... I too am worried about a new impending dark age caused by our failure to be realists.  Our failure to sacrifice some success in the short term to set up long term success.  This season and next feel like we are making all in bets, using a hand that has a fatal weakness.  Once we lose... well, we have nothing backing us up that we can keep playing with, and we'll be out of the game, potentially for several years.   Because we're not playing smart and making the moves that will keep us at the table long-term.

Sure, buying our way back in later to fill these upcoming holes could work...  but does anyone see us spending enough, or picking up the correct players, with that strategy?  I sure don't.

25 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The deal for Britton was not good enough to make the move.  A deal headlined around Colin Moran is not a deal he should have made so getting upset about that has no point.  He also was not going to trade his record breaking reliever in the off season so again getting mad there has no point.  No GM is going to trade their closer in that situation.

The quote from Buck around the 1:00 mark scares me a little. "To what degree Zack's knee is bothering him only he knows".Also knee was bothering him last year .

The O's have blown 16 saves this year, not 11.    Incredibly, we've only lost 8 of the 16.

Brach - blew 6, 4 losses

Givens - blew 5, 2 losses

O'Day - blew 2, 1 loss

Britton - blew 2, 1 loss

Hart - blew 1, 0 losses

Last year, the bullpen blew 14 saves resulting in 8 losses.    

I think it's a fallacy to assume that if Britton had been healthy all year, he would've had another perfect season.     He wasn't perfect in 2014 or 2015.   2016 was a career season that had very little chance of being repeated.   

Archived