Connolly: Cruzing

weams

1 minute ago, weams said:

Absolutely. Of course, a former Oriole recently said that when they came to explain the HGH blood tests they told them that nothing would show if they had not had a shot in 24 hours. 

And I sure there are good ways to mask other enhancers as well, but like I said I like to hope not, but I get the reality is most likely different.  Either way, I do wish we had resigned him, but like Frobby said, no one could have anticipated even better overall production from Cruz into his mid-30's. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Loved Cruz when he was here.   Who would have thought he would continue to get better with age?  I thought the Mariners overpaid for him, but I'd much rather have him with one more year left on a contract than that albatross of a contract that is Chris Davis.

Give me Mountcastle. 

36 minutes ago, murph said:

And I sure there are good ways to mask other enhancers as well, but like I said I like to hope not, but I get the reality is most likely different.  Either way, I do wish we had resigned him, but like Frobby said, no one could have anticipated even better overall production from Cruz into his mid-30's. 

No one predicted he'd be anything and we lucked out into his incredible season & Mountcastle all because no one wanted him. Incredible fortune.

2 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

No one predicted he'd be anything and we lucked out into his incredible season & Mountcastle all because no one wanted him. Incredible fortune.

What was supposedly the problem with Mountcastle?

Just now, LA2 said:

What was supposedly the problem with Mountcastle?

We got him bc we signed and lost Cruz. His problem is his arm, so defensively we are searching for a home, he's like ET; Just a great guy looking for his home.

I wouldn't consider trading RM for the years of Cruz. 

20 hours ago, Cumberbundy said:

We got him bc we signed and lost Cruz. His problem is his arm, so defensively we are searching for a home, he's like ET; Just a great guy looking for his home.

I wouldn't consider trading RM for the years of Cruz. 

Cruz has been worth 13.1 rWAR, 12.0 rWAR in his 2.8 years with the Mariners.     Let's estimate he ends up at 15+ WAR (by whichever measure) for his four years.    At FA prices, that's about $64 mm in excess value ($120 mm - $56 mm).     Honestly, the chances that Mountcastle exceeds that in his 6 years of team control are not high. Then when you consider that we might have avoided the Davis/Trumbo signings, I have a very hard time saying I'd rather have Mountcastle than Cruz.    

Archived