Jones To Talk With Ownership In Offseason

Can_of_corn

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I do think Jones would move to right for a handful of centerfielders.  But the O's won't be acquiring them so it's a moot point.

I think Jones would move to right if Buck tells him to move. I think he will be on board with it if Buck can convince him that it's a good move for the team (they are replacing him with someone who can cover more ground, etc.). Jones is extremely confident, but he's not dumb. His comments about legs aching and getting tired indicate that he's very aware that he is getting older. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the idea that Jones needs to be consulted about moving out of CF, or that his feelings need to be considered is ridiculous. If he's a team player like he claims to be, than he will do what is best for the team - including moving to RF if he is told to to do so. Sick of the coddling of handsomely paid athletes.

"Don't like the job you are being told to do? Give the money back... otherwise, shut up and do your job" is about how that conversation should go.

Jarrod Dyson is a guy out there who plays a better CF than Jones, and he is likely to be available. Dyson wouldn't cost much, and wouldn't block Mullins' eventual arrival. Play Dyson in CF for 100-115 games or so, sit him vs lefties and use him as late inning speed and defense. Hays, Dyson, and Jones from left to right is much better than what we have been running out there.

1 minute ago, Es4M11 said:

I think the idea that Jones needs to be consulted about moving out of CF, or that his feelings need to be considered is ridiculous. If he's a team player like he claims to be, than he will do what is best for the team - including moving to Rf if he is told to to do so. Sick of the coddling of handsomely paid athletes.

"Don't like the job you are being told to do? Give the money back... otherwise, shut up and do your job" is about how that conversation should go.

Jarrod Dyson is a guy out there who plays a better CF than Jones, and he is likely to be available. Dyson wouldn't cost much, and wouldn't block Mullins eventual arrival. Play Dyson in CF for a 100-115 games or so, sit him vs lefties and use him as late inning speed an defense. Hays, Dyson, and Jones from left to right is much better than what we have been running out there.

Earl? Earl? Is that you? :)

Managing like this in today's game is a great way to implode your clubhouse, rapidly become a losing team, and get fired. Tough guy fantasies rarely translate into real world success. And is this how your boss talks to you? This "old school" management style doesn't work with highly talented people with employment options who's success or failure determines the success or failure of your organization. 

8 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

I think the idea that Jones needs to be consulted about moving out of CF, or that his feelings need to be considered is ridiculous. If he's a team player like he claims to be, than he will do what is best for the team - including moving to RF if he is told to to do so. Sick of the coddling of handsomely paid athletes.

Jarrod Dyson is a guy out there who plays a better CF than Jones, and he is likely to be available. Dyson wouldn't cost much, and wouldn't block Mullins' eventual arrival. Play Dyson in CF for 100-115 games or so, sit him vs lefties and use him as late inning speed and defense. Hays, Dyson, and Jones from left to right is much better than what we have been running out there.

I guess you are implying move Mancini to DH and trade Trumbo?

Just now, wildcard said:

I guess you are implying move Mancini to DH and trade Trumbo?

Absolutely. Have discussed this in other threads. I'd trade Trumbo to anyone that would take him, and would be willing to eat as much as $10m to do so. Moving Trumbo is addition by subtraction with Mancini in the fold.

1 minute ago, Es4M11 said:

Absolutely. Have discussed this in other threads. I'd trade Trumbo to anyone that would take him, and would be willing to eat as much as $10m to do so. Moving Trumbo is addition by subtraction with Mancini in the fold.

I don't see the O's eating any part on Trumbo's contract by they could include him in a package with minor leaguer(s) for an expensive starting pitcher  that someone wants to move.

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Earl? Earl? Is that you? :)

Managing like this in today's game is a great way to implode your clubhouse, rapidly become a losing team, and get fired. Tough guy fantasies rarely translate into real world success. And is this how your boss talks to you? This "old school" management style doesn't work with highly talented people with employment options who's success or failure determines the success or failure of your organization. 

Give me a break :D

In a real world situation, my language would be a little more eloquent, but the gist would still be the same.

It's not like we are asking 28 year old Adam Jones early in his contract extension to move from CF. Asking 31 year old Adam Jones in the last year of his deal, with clearly declining defensive value to move out of CF is not an unreasonable stance to take. The team needs to take precedence here, and if Adam can't accept that himself, I would make the decision for him and his feelings would not be of much consequence to me. All this if it were up to me, of course.

I don't think a decision made like that in this context would lose the locker room or turn you into a losing team. That's purely conjecture and hyperbole on your part.

15 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

If this is a the 33 year old Dyson with the career 677 OPS I doubt Buck would see him as an upgrade.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't see the O's eating any part on Trumbo's contract by they could include him in a package with minor leaguer(s) for an expensive starting pitcher  that someone wants to move.

I assume you are probably right. Whatever it takes, though. Trumbo needs to go. An overhaul of the outfield defense would help the pitching staff so much, and Trumbo stands in the way of that.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

If this is a the 33 year old Dyson with the career 677 OPS I doubt Buck would see him as an upgrade.

The very same. Dyson has a career .704 vs rhp, protect Dyson from lefties. You can even let Jones run around in CF when lefties are on the mound.

Dyson adds speed and better defense in CF. Two things this club sorely needs. At face value, Dyson is not impressive, but what he brings to the table could compliment what is already in place very well.

4 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

The very same. Dyson has a career .704 vs rhp, protect Dyson from lefties. You can even let Jones run around in CF when lefties are on the mound.

Dyson adds speed and better defense in CF. Two things this club sorely needs. At face value, Dyson is not impressive, but what he brings to the table could compliment what is already in place very well.

If a 700 OPS defensive CF  is what you are shooting for Mullins can probably do that.  I think if they move Jones to right Hays could hold down CF for some part of the year until Mullins is ready.

18 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

Give me a break :D

In a real world situation, my language would be a little more eloquent, but the gist would still be the same.

It's not like we are asking 28 year old Adam Jones early in his contract extension to move from CF. Asking 31 year old Adam Jones in the last year of his deal, with clearly declining defensive value to move out of CF is not an unreasonable stance to take. The team needs to take precedence here, and if Adam can't accept that himself, I would make the decision for him and his feelings would not be of much consequence to me. All this if it were up to me, of course.

I don't think a decision made like that in this context would lose the locker room or turn you into a losing team. That's purely conjecture and hyperbole on your part.

That's fine if you're a fantasy baseball owner, but it's just not how things work in the real world with real people.

It's crazy to say that Adam's thoughts on moving to a different position shouldn't matter or aren't of much consequence. Of course they matter. He's the one who would be moving, so it's important to find out whether he's comfortable with it. And Jones, more than anyone else on the team, has earned that right. He's the longest tenured Oriole and he's the team leader. This isn't a guy you can just force to move to a new position against his will. If you do, as Ohfan said, you're going to lose the respect of the players very quickly.

43 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I have no problem with Jones talking to ownership. He's been the face of the team and its leader for years. He's earned the right, and the fact that he doesn't play CF as well as he used to doesn't change that.

I don't think any players have the right to jump the chain of command (twice) and talk directly with ownership.

I don't think it's good for the organization.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think any players have the right to jump the chain of command (twice) and talk directly with ownership.

I don't think it's good for the organization.

I don't think that a baseball team has to be run like a military organization. Teams make their own rules. I'm fine with that.

Archived