Rooting for the Nats because it probably pisses off Angelos

interloper

15 minutes ago, Number5 said:

No.  It looked like the ball was already past Wieters when he was struck by the bat.  It did not interfere with his opportunity to secure or block the ball, in my view.  The timing is whether it was before his opportunity to secure the ball, not when he makes the throw it after retrieving it.  In games I umpire, I would kill the play out of safety concern for the catcher, but I'm not umpiring games in which men are being paid to play.  My point was that it seems a bit harsh to blame Wieters  for losing the game, given that he was struck on the head by the bat.  I don't think the umpires erred on the play, however.  As I mentioned, I was surprised that the Nationals' trainer didn't come out to check on Wieters after the play as a precaution.  As someone else mentioned, the New York review that allowed the leg whip at second base to stand seemed to be more of an umpiring miss than this particular play, IMO.

I believe the reason they let the call stand at 2nd base was because the fielder threw the ball well before any contact was made.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought maybe the replay review umpires were focusing on whether the runner maintained his hold on the base and somehow overlooked the leg whip.  When the leg whip occurs, relative to the throw leaving the hand, isn't really the issue.  The leg whip is illegal.  I was surprised, given the point of emphasis this type of play has been given for umpires, that that particular ruling wasn't overturned.  In past years, there would have been no doubt that it was a legal slide, since he clearly went to and maintained contact with the base.  Not so much now.

26 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

You kidding? The ball went directly thru his legs on the fly. It didn't hit the ground until it was underneath him. It was the poster child for all passed balls. If he catches the ball its the third out and the Nats are only down 5-4, instead the inning continues until the Nats are down 7-4. It was a Billy Cundiff moment.

If he was credited with a passed ball, then the official scorer apparently agrees with you.  The plate umpire was bailing out on the play, so I'm not so sure that he thought it was an easy play for the catcher.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Nats were 78-35 when Wieters started, 19-27 when he didn't, so I doubt they'll DFA him and eat $12 mm. I'm not saying he's the reason they won when he played, just that he didn't materially hurt them so I doubt they'll eat his contract.   

That said, I didn't see the inning where Wieters had his defensive miscues. The Nats could play "what if" with this game for the next 25 years.    So many of the Cubs' runs scored on fluky plays, and then Lobaton gets picked off after a lengthy replay review to kill a rally when Davis looked to be falling apart.    I'm glad I'm not a die-hard Nats fan; that's a tough loss to live down.   

4 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

The Nats want to win a WS. They will look to improve in any area of weakness, and Wieters is a weakness

You can't put a game on one player.... but if Wieters doesn't have a passed ball (on a strike 3), a throwing error directly scoring a run, and a catchers interference in the same inning than the Nats are in the NLCS. I'm sure folks in the Nats front office will be thinking the same thing. I think Wieters will be "Cundiffed".

3 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Yes, the Nationals have wanted to win a World Series since 2012, but have not managed to get beyond the NLDS since then. 

If the Nationals had not blown a 2-run lead with 2 outs in the 9th inning of the 2012 NLDS, they would have advanced to that season's NLCS.

If the Nationals had scored more than 1 run in an 18-inning game (at home) against the Giants in Game Two of the 2014 NLDS, they might well have advanced to that season's NLCS.

If Max Scherzer, Marc Rzepczynski, Blake Treinen, Sammy Solis, and Shawn Kelley had not collectively folded in the 7th inning of the 5th and deciding game of the 2016 NLDS, they would have advanced to that season's NLCS.

If, if, if ........ if the Nationals rid themselves of the choking and inept Matt Wieters, they will certainly be better prepared to win the World Series in 2018.

o

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick2 said:

Roy:

I respect your opinion ...... well, usually.

I refuse to call Wieters "inept."

Baseballs is a game of inches and breaks (like Frobby posted.)

That's not ineptness.

o

Rick ........ read my entire post again, see whom I was responding to (after Frobby), and then adjust your sarcasm detector. 

o

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sounds pretty interesting but my work internet blocks access to social media sites such as Twitter.   Can anyone clue me in on the 4 events that occurred in one inning last night, or do I have to wait until I get home around 7:30 to read it?

TIA.

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Sounds pretty interesting but my work internet blocks access to social media sites such as Twitter.   Can anyone clue me in on the 4 events that occurred in one inning last night, or do I have to wait until I get home around 7:30 to read it?

TIA.

Last 4 Cubs reached base on an intentional walk, a passed-ball strikeout, catcher's interference and a hit by pitch.

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

TIA.

Sorry about that, it didn't even enter my mind that anyone woudln't know what happened.

Archived