[Fangraphs] Kevin Gausman’s Very-Bad-but-Actually-Very-Good Season

Phantom

I could have edited the title to, "Kevin Gausman's Very-Bad-Season."

But maybe that isn't catchy enough. How about, "Kevin Gausman’s Very-Bad-Season-with-a-Dozen-Good-Starts."

I don't see how anyone could argue that Kevin Gausman had a very good season actually or that anyone could agree with such a claim.

28 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I could have edited the title to, "Kevin Gausman's Very-Bad-Season."

But maybe that isn't catchy enough. How about, "Kevin Gausman’s Very-Bad-Season-with-a-Dozen-Good-Starts."

I don't see how anyone could argue that Kevin Gausman had a very good season actually or that anyone could agree with such a claim.

Or maybe "Kevin Gausman's theoretically good but actually very bad season."    Hopefully whatever adjustments he made in the second half will carry over into next year, but we thought the same thing last year, when he was actually much more consistent than this season.    Hope springs eternal, I guess.

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is this:

"While his splitter is and has always been his best pitch, it was his slider that pulled his decidedly lost season out from the gutter. Having all but completely phased out the pitch, Gausman reintroduced it and, with his midseason tweak, unleashed it as an absolute force. Its whiff rate jumped from 8% to a deadly 19%, and it thereafter limited hitters to an anemic 0.031 ISO. Gausman suddenly had (has) two legitimately plus pitches and a four-seamer whose velocity at least makes scouts dream (or have nightmares) about being plus."

Archived