Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, weams said:

I think fans appreciate when a team is straightforward. This and Luhnow telling folks in Houston,”Hey, stick with us. They’ll be some rough waters, but we have a plan in place.”

I’d be willing to ride out a couple bad seasons with a solid plan in place. 

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

I think fans appreciate when a team is straightforward. This and Luhnow telling folks in Houston,”Hey, stick with us. They’ll be some rough waters, but we have a plan in place.”

I’d be willing to ride out a couple bad seasons with a solid plan in place. 

I think most baseball fans are intelligent and thoughtful. It sort of comes along with the nature of the sport. Sure, there are bandwagon fans who always have those "Championship or nothing, the owner needs to buy every player under the sun..." takes - but there's not much you can do about that.

Yankees and Red Sox fans get a bad wrap because there are so many of those bandwagon fans - but they also do have plenty of fans who really know their stuff and appreciate the game.

12 minutes ago, weams said:

In his latest exploration of the stagnant free-agent market, Yahoo’s Jeff Passan reports that free agents have begun to discuss the possible organization of a training camp that would “mimic their typical spring work.” Pitchers and catchers are set to begin reporting for Spring Training in just three weeks, of course, and there are well over 100 unsigned players still seeking employment for the upcoming season.

Remember that happened in 1995?   The strike/lockout that cancelled the end of the 1994 season and they were threatening to use replacement players in 1995.   They finally settled in (early March?) and started spring training, but since there had been no agreement all the free agents hadn't signed.   So they had a refugee free agent camp in Homestead, Florida for the dispossessed free agents to play themselves into shape.

25 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Remember that happened in 1995?   The strike/lockout that cancelled the end of the 1994 season and they were threatening to use replacement players in 1995.   They finally settled in (early March?) and started spring training, but since there had been no agreement all the free agents hadn't signed.   So they had a refugee free agent camp in Homestead, Florida for the dispossessed free agents to play themselves into shape.

You know my belief system on this. I believe a free agent doesn't do a leg curl without a contract. 

Archived