OS MLBTR 12/27

weams

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Given the dearth of rotation options, I’d like to see Lucas Long get a shot in spring training. He’d be better in relief/swingman role but I think he could get MLB hitters out, especially if limited to 2 times through the order.

...also known as: The Los Angeles Dodgers Approach to Starting Pitchers (not named Clayton Kershaw).

Works for me: 8-man bullpen with a couple of them being relievers on the Norfolk Shuttle. And be happy if you get 4 and 2/3's of an inning from the starter.

4 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

...also known as: The Los Angeles Dodgers Approach to Starting Pitchers (not named Clayton Kershaw).

Works for me: 8-man bullpen with a couple of them being relievers on the Norfolk Shuttle. And be happy if you get 4 and 2/3's of an inning from the starter.

Rich Hill. No hitter though Nine. 

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Count me in the minority that wants to keep Manny

I think most of us want to keep Manny if he could be extended, I know I do.  I think they could afford the 35m year it would cost with some creativity.

But that’s not going to happen and I don’t see much benefit in keeping him for 1 more season and sacrificing a solid return.

21 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I think most of us want to keep Manny if he could be extended, I know I do.  I think they could afford the 35m year it would cost with some creativity.

But that’s not going to happen and I don’t see much benefit in keeping him for 1 more season and sacrificing a solid return.

Yeah. This is where most of us are, I think. If we can keep him long term, great. If not, trade him for the best package you can get. Makes no sense just to ride with him until he walks unless a) the deals available are less valuable than the pick we'd get or b) we win the WS.

Given where we're at, I find it highly unlikely that he's agreeable to a long term deal. Before this latest trade rumor, I'd have put the odds at 5% of him re-signing here. Now? Less than 1%.

33 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

While there are many Manny fans, I don't think he has the same fandom zeal that Brooks and Cal had here.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

While there are many Manny fans, I don't think he has the same fandom zeal that Brooks and Cal had here.

For one thing, he hasn’t been with the team for 20 years.    But I think some perceive Manny as a “glamor” guy while Brooks and Cal were “lunch pail” types.     I don’t necessarily think that’s fair, but that perception is out there in some quarters.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

For one thing, he hasn’t been with the team for 20 years.    But I think some perceive Manny as a “glamor” guy while Brooks and Cal were “lunch pail” types.     I don’t necessarily think that’s fair, but that perception is out there in some quarters.    

I would put Frank and Eddie in the "lunch pail" category as well.   I realize they weren't O's for life, but they are O's first and foremost.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I understand the perception has been that Manny was a party guy, not sure I buy into that theory.

Cal had an immense following from day 1, he was the hyped local boy, son of a well loved coach, heck it drew me to follow the team and back into baseball after I swore off baseball because of the senators leaving DC.

Not sure how long Brook had been around before he came known as Mr. Oriole.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I like Manny a lot, I am too young to have seen anything more than old videos of Brooks. I think Manny fandom would equal Cal fandom if he signed for ten more years and continued to play at a similar level as he’s played so far.  I  like Manny’s passion on the field, it’s different than Cal but not worse IMO.

Archived