Is Davis Done?

weams

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I just wish he would do the little things he did earlier in his career, like knowing how to take a walk. He used to get on base more even when his batting average was down. He needs to spend the preseason learning how to bunt to the opposite side. And continue to play good defense.

His walk rate wasn't that bad last season (11.6%).  He just appears to not be able to catch up to a good fastball any more.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

His walk rate wasn't that bad last season (11.6%).  He just appears to not be able to catch up to a good fastball any more.

I think some of this goes back to the argument is a strikeout different/better/worse than any other out? He struck out more the past two seasons than before.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Wow.. I actually read the article and he doesn't get it at all.

His solution is to hit the ball in the air more to beat the shift. LOL as opposed to hitting a few dribblers to the left side of the infield?

How's he going to hit the ball in the air more, increase his uppercut LOL, perhaps swing at some of those called third strikes?

His opponents would rather him bunt 4 times and go 4-4 , then go 1-4 with a three run HR.

When was the last time he hit .250. How many 3 run HRs did he hit last year.

Man he is in total denial about how bad he sucks

I gotta agree with you there.  He said some BS about he's got to find out what his role is before figuring out his approach at the plate.  If he's given an easy bunt hit, he's got to take that every single time.  Then he won't get shifted the way he is.  Otherwise, swing at pitches in the damn strike zone and hit them.  Don't swing at balls.  Be a smart hitter - period.  What you've done the last 2 seasons has helped the opposition.  Stop doing it, and stop the bs.  

3 hours ago, Eddie_Ripken said:

I get the feeling from his comments that he knows he isn't a power hitter anymore (for whatever reason) and is grasping at straws to try and be relevant. A guy who is supposed to hit 40 homers and 100 RBI per year should not be lamenting how he feels batting average is the most important thing. He is done. Thanks Angelos for appeasing the fans and making Duquette bid against himself and sign him.

Whatever he used to do to get the contract, he doesn't do any longer. 

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I take a bit of encouragement from this, he is not content to collect the fat paycheck and channel surf the cable system and rest for the upcoming season.

I think he should retire. I would then have good thoughts about him. 

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Is Davis done?

Is that a trick question... of course he is done... and he wasn't great in his two year peak

They signed him to a 6 year 161 million dollar contract one year removed from hitting .196 (2014).

Has to be in top 5 stupidest contracts in MLB history.

Only thing remaining is to see how many years he has left at the point they DFA him. I see it as sometime in 2019.

I think his peak years were good. I can't disagree with much else here. 

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I just wish he would do the little things he did earlier in his career, like knowing how to take a walk. He used to get on base more even when his batting average was down. He needs to spend the preseason learning how to bunt to the opposite side. And continue to play good defense.

It's easier to get a walk when you are as likely to homer as to strikeout. 

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I'd like for him to swing at strikes and not swing at balls.  Nobody in baseball frustrates me more with that than Davis.  Hopefully, all players take eye exams seriously.  It could make a big difference.  

As much as Jones hacking at sliders in the dirt can be unbelievably frustrating, at least he has a chance at putting balls in play. There is such a thing as being too patient. I have never seen anything like Davis 2017 looking at those FBs down the middle.

He could have a couple more productive years but I think eventually (and it may have already begun) he will be a miserably terrible player to watch. Sub .200 avg and well over 200K...Id bet on those numbers for the last three years of his contract. The O's messed up big time signing that guy. He honestly should have been traded following his monster season and Manny should have been extended then. 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I can, too early to classify this as a top 5 stupid contact.

$139,428,142  3.4 rWAR

$113,528,749 3.3 rWAR

$160,000,000 3.1 rWAR

$72,500,000 1.7 rWAR (99 games played)

$118,000,000 2.6 rWAR

$105,000,000 -0.1 rWAR

$62,500,000 -0.1 rWAR (30 games played)

$95,000,000 -2.5 rWAR

$68,500,000 -2.2 rWAR

This does not consider other contracts in his class like Zimmermann's.

Archived