Is Davis Done?

weams

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

It's also easier when you are looking for a walk because you don't have confidence in yourself to swing the bat.

No. They just throw you strikes then. Walks are not the greatest thing unless they are a sign of respect from the pitcher. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing what Duquette phoning in the 2014 offseason to focus on a job with the Blue Jays did to this organization. A cheap, lovable, productive option in Nelson Cruz wouldn't have pushed the O's to overbid on Davis and then subsequently made an idiotic signing in Trumbo on a long term deal.

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

As much as Jones hacking at sliders in the dirt can be unbelievably frustrating, at least he has a chance at putting balls in play. There is such a thing as being too patient. I have never seen anything like Davis 2017 looking at those FBs down the middle.

Agreed.  I can put up with the swings and misses on good sliders, but looking at fastballs right down the middle... I can't.  And that happened in way too many key situations.    

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's easier to blame an outside force instead of looking inward.

Roch got mad at me on Twitter for pointing that out, even though I wasn’t questioning his reporting, just the lack of hard evidence the the shift was a cause of his 2017 performance. 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Wait, hold that thought.

You mean, the famous thread in OH, where walks were better than a home run, was false????? :):):)

You mean the non-existent thread?  Nobody in the history of Baseball or fandom has ever said that.  

Walks are good.   Not as good as singles most of the time.    You might argue that a 10-pitch leadoff walk is better than a one-pitch leadoff single that is fielded cleanly.    

11 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

Although if his hard work is in vain and he has another poor season this year and next, I wouldn't be surprised if he mails it in for his last 3 years.  He's not getting any younger, and with the deferred money he's going to be getting paid well for a very long time.  

No matter how disappointing Davis has been the last two years, I never thought it was from a lack of effort, or caring. I think he cared too much, honestly. That guy is never going to just phone it in for a paycheck.

4 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Roch got mad at me on Twitter for pointing that out, even though I wasn’t questioning his reporting, just the lack of hard evidence the the shift was a cause of his 2017 performance. 

Just bothered to read the exchange.

Yea, the MASN guys don't like it when you throw stats at them.

Well, he's not going to admit that his bat speed is gone and he's just guessing up there. 

His excuse for all of the called third strikes is that he's "trying to be too perfect".  I don't really buy that.  And his solution of being more aggressive earlier in the count is probably not the answer.  Instead of being a .210 .310 guy he will be a .230 .290 guy. He needs to change his swing/bat path to the ball and I didn't see any talk of that. 

I'd put his moderate to significant bounce back chances at about 25 percent.  75 percent chance he is done IMO.  And DFA by 2019 or 2020.  

I always thought this was a bad contract and he would be a negative WAR (DFA territory) for the last two years of the contract. But thought we would get good to servicable production in the first 4-5 years of the contract.  Thought the huge drop off would come at age 33 or 34 rather than 31.  

14 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Well, he's not going to admit that his bat speed is gone and he's just guessing up there. 

His excuse for all of the called third strikes is that he's "trying to be too perfect".  I don't really buy that.  And his solution of being more aggressive earlier in the count is probably not the answer.  Instead of being a .210 .310 guy he will be a .230 .290 guy. He needs to change his swing/bat path to the ball and I didn't see any talk of that. 

I'd put his moderate to significant bounce back chances at about 25 percent.  75 percent chance he is done IMO.  And DFA by 2019 or 2020.  

I always thought this was a bad contract and he would be a negative WAR (DFA territory) for the last two years of the contract. But thought we would get good to servicable production in the first 4-5 years of the contract.  Thought the huge drop off would come at age 33 or 34 rather than 31.  

The huge dropoff was at 28 in 2014, when he hit .196. How that was ignored and he was gifted a 6 year contract.... just  makes no senso

8 hours ago, weams said:

His retirement would help the Orioles for certain. And I am all for helping the Orioles.

I think the rumors of his demise are premature.  And I certainly would keep playing ball for millions as long as I was allowed to do so.  Chris will be an improved version this year, imho. 

Archived