Mini Camp Thread

weams

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Frobby said:

My impression is that the O’s are not trying to develop Scott as a starter.    Rather, they are continuing the routine of having him pitch 3 innings at the start of the game every fifth day, and have bullpen sessions in between, as a way of getting him predictable reps and allowing him to work on his stuff.    That’s different.   

That routine worked well for Scott’s development last year, and I think Tony agreed it worked well.   But I think he’s saying that now’s the time to get him readjusted to the kind of routine that a real reliever has, because he’s going to have to make that adjustment eventually and he’s close to the majors now.    

I’m agnostic on the subject, and frankly, I remain skeptical about Scott.   I’m just not a fan of guys who throw hard but don’t know where the ball is going a lot of the time.    I guess he might become a left-handed Mitch Williams, but I’m dubious.  

I like the 3 inning stints as a developmental tool, but with beat reporters floating him being a starter, at least someone in the organization is pushing that as an option.

9 hours ago, backwardsk said:

One reason that Faulkner chose to return to the Orioles was because of Showalter's bullpen usage. Keeps guys off the DL by not overusing them.  That certainly contradicts the complaints one reads on here about his bullpen management.

Everyone on here wants the starter yanked as soon as he struggles.   Then when a reliever struggles they want him yanked.

Buck doesn't do that.   And we lose some games.

But I truly believe we would lose just as many or more of Buck yanked pitchers when the mob on the game thread called for it, every time.  We might win a FEW of those games by getting someone out that is struggling.   A few.   Of course you never know that the next guy isn't going to struggle too.   But i think in the long term we would lose just as many because our bullpen would be overtaxed over the course of a year.

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Everyone on here wants the starter yanked as soon as he struggles.   Then when a reliever struggles they want him yanked.

Buck doesn't do that.   And we lose some games.

But I truly believe we would lose just as many or more of Buck yanked pitchers when the mob on the game thread called for it, every time.  We might win a FEW of those games by getting someone out that is struggling.   A few.   Of course you never know that the next guy isn't going to struggle too.   But i think in the long term we would lose just as many because our bullpen would be overtaxed over the course of a year.

Our starters already pitch the fewest innings in the league (5.22 per game in 2017).   There’s only so much you can ask a bullpen to do.    We’ve had an excellent bullpen the last 6 years and that’s because Buck runs it extremely well.    That’s not to say I agree with him every time, but he’s very good at bullpen management.  

Archived