David Hess an Oriole

wildcard

This is a stupid move unless he’s getting Tillman’s next start. Let the guy work on schedule in Norfolk until you’re ready to call him up to start. The yo-yo game of bringing up guys, who are trying to develop, to be available as long relievers is b.s..

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

This is a stupid move unless he’s getting Tillman’s next start. Let the guy work on schedule in Norfolk until you’re ready to call him up to start. The yo-yo game of bringing up guys, who are trying to develop, to be available as long relievers is b.s..

How is he being developed? As a starter.or to help the major league club in which every way they might be able to use him? I have never seen a link to another MLB club clamoring for him as an asset. I think is ok for the Orioles to look at him as one. Before they end up not using him and DFAing him some day.

28 minutes ago, weams said:

How is he being developed? As a starter.or to help the major league club in which every way they might be able to use him? I have never seen a link to another MLB club clamoring for him as an asset. I think is ok for the Orioles to look at him as one. Before they end up not using him and DFAing him some day.

I'm not sure what other MLB clubs have to do with it. I also don't see how much coming into the game in the 4th inning, down 5 runs to eat some innings helps the major league club. That should be the job of some 30-ish year old from AAA, not a 24 year old who has been showing improvement as a starter.

Hess should be getting regular AAA starts until the organization finally cuts the cord on Tillman.

50 minutes ago, weams said:

The problem is, they bring guys up but don't use them, along with taking them off any type of schedule the team even created for them.

So far this season, Hunter Harvey, Yefry Ramierez, and David Hess have all gotten their first call to the Orioles, in place of their scheduled start. Total number of pitches they have thrown for the birds? 0

Meanwhile, they have an opening on the 40, with atleast 2 relievers (Edgin, Ramierez) they could add and use without disrupting anything.

Boy, it's like the Orioles don't have any actual plan about how they want to use or develop a lot of their pitchers and players. Shocking.

3 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The problem is, they bring guys up but don't use them, along with taking them off any type of schedule the team even created for them.

So far this season, Hunter Harvey, Yefry Ramierez, and David Hess have all gotten their first call to the Orioles, in place of their scheduled start. Total number of pitches they have thrown for the birds? 0

Meanwhile, they have an opening on the 40, with atleast 2 relievers (Edgin, Ramierez) they could add and use without disrupting anything.

Boy, it's like the Orioles don't have any actual plan about how they want to use or develop a lot of their pitchers and players. Shocking.

They can bring those guys up but then if they send them down it counts as an option.   They try not to waster option years as much as possible.  The way the weather is Hess missed nothing but sitting watching rain.  As bad as the weather has been it is almost impossible to keep anyone on schedule.  

19 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

They can bring those guys up but then if they send them down it counts as an option.   They try not to waster option years as much as possible.  The way the weather is Hess missed nothing but sitting watching rain.  As bad as the weather has been it is almost impossible to keep anyone on schedule.  

They pulled him out of his start yesterday

9 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

They pulled him out of his start yesterday

Exactly.  The whole thing about him and Harvey on different days wasn’t true.  Hess was already on his way to Boston when Buck said that.  He now hasn’t thrown in eight days and missed a start...

And it was the same with Harvey.  They announced Harvey was going to start out with three inning starts.  Then, he gets called up before his first start and doesn’t pitch.  And by the time he comes back around in Bowie’s rotation, they’ve decided to dial him back to 2 inning starts - which only hurts the club by delaying him getting stretched out.  

They may know what they’re doing, but it seems like incredibly poor planning.

14 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

Each of those players has had their options used for this season in spring training. These moves count as nothing. 

When a player is protected on the 40 man roster and then sent to the minor leagues at any point for 10 days or more their option year is considered used. The way to protect a player from using options is not to place them on the 40 man roster. And then they are exposed to the Rule 5 draft. 

22 hours ago, Ripken said:

He's injured in the sense that his career is over.  There doesn't seem to a surgery or therapy or rehab or anything that will ever fix him.  That's a 60 year DL trip.

22 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Two years. This has been going on for two years. If someone has not been able to pin point where he is injured, I doubt they'll be able to do it now.

Dead arm is a real thing, it's completely consistent with what Tillman has, and could possibly be corrected. DL seems worth a shot to me. 

I see starter on the 19th has still not been announced. I wonder if they are getting Tillman a diagnosis?

21 minutes ago, weams said:

When a player is protected on the 40 man roster and then sent to the minor leagues at any point for 10 days or more their option year is considered used. The way to protect a player from using options is not to place them on the 40 man roster. And then they are exposed to the Rule 5 draft. 

• If a player’s optional assignment(s) to the minors total less than 20 days in one season, an option is not used.

Archived