Worst start since 2010

Aglets

8 hours ago, atomic said:

I am not sure what 2010 roster had to do with Buck righting the ship.   The 2011 team was terrible under Buck. It wasn't until DD came in and the Team got a new pitching staff that the team improved.   Chen,  Gonzalez and Hammel.   And DD brought in someone to help Tillman with his mechanics.  All Buck did was bring in pitching coach who messed up Arrieta

I don't remember much about that year.

10 hours ago, atomic said:

I am not sure what 2010 roster had to do with Buck righting the ship.   The 2011 team was terrible under Buck. It wasn't until DD came in and the Team got a new pitching staff that the team improved.   Chen,  Gonzalez and Hammel.   And DD brought in someone to help Tillman with his mechanics.  All Buck did was bring in pitching coach who messed up Arrieta

If I recall correctly, wasn't Chen and Gonzalez actually both (or certainly one of them) being scouted during the MacPhail era? I'll give Duquette credit for Hammel, but let's not forget that the entire core of this team for the 2012 and up run was a big reason because of MacPhail's savvy trades.

The strength of the 2012 Orioles was certainly because of Chen, Gonzalez and Hammel....but also because of Tillman (MacPhail) and the elite bullpen - O'Day (MacPhail), Strop (MacPhail), Patton (MacPhail). And the offense? 

Davis (MacPhail), Jones (MacPhail), Reynolds (MacPhail), Hardy (MacPhail) and I believe MacPhail also was responsible for Wieters. 

Yes, Duquette made a lot of SP savvy moves that ended up working out that first year (although hasn't been replicated much successfully thereafter). But Duquette was also the guy that (IMHO) ruined Arrieta. Not entirely Buck by any stretch, although his TTTP didn't help. Duquette was the guy that brought on the "no cutters" philosophy  for a long period there.

Archived