Could Tim Melville allow the O's to DFA Mike Wright?

wildcard

28 year old Mike Wright is still on the O's 25 man roster.    That is in spite of an 8.49 ERA and a 1.89 WHIP in his 4 outings.    Why?   He is out of options and has to put on waiver to get him off the O's major league roster.   Wright is one of the few pitchers with starting experience that could step in for Tillman if he crashes and burns.   

But now 28  year old Tim Melville  is making some noise a AAA.   He now  is 2-0 with a 1.65 ERA and a 1.29 WHIP.   In his 2 starts he has gone 6 innings and 5.1 innings allowing one run in 11.1 innings.  Last year Melville  started 12 games at AAA with a 2.95 ERA.    He has started 3 games and one relief appearance in his major league career covering 14.2 innings  with an ERA of 11.05.   His experience  is a lot like Wright's in  having success a AAA but that not translating to the majors.  However Melville's major league experience is minimal.  

So with Melville pitching well at AAA does that give the O's the confidence to DFA'd Wright and try to get him through waivers or possible lose him to another team?   This is not to say the Melville as to be promoted to the majors.   Just that is could be a option that allows the O's to DFA Wright.   Melville has options.

Hess is not allowing runs at AAA but is also not going deep in games because of a high pitch counts.    Ramirez last two starts have not been good. Yacabonis had a good start but  its too early to know if he can repeat it.   Aquino had a good start but he has been very inconsistent over the last year.     Melville seems to have stepped to the head of the O's AAA pitching class.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I haven't seen Melville, so I can't rule out that he's some sort of underappreciated useful piece. But he is 28 years old, so you have to take his minor league stats with a healthy dose of salt.

My thought too.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I haven't seen Melville, so I can't rule out that he's some sort of underappreciated useful piece. But he is 28 years old, so you have to take his minor league stats with a healthy dose of salt.

Do the O's have any other minor league starter that is ready and better?   Is Wright?

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Do the O's have any other minor league starter that is ready and better?   Is Wright?

I don't know, like I said, I haven't seen Melville, so I can't compare him to other pitchers. I'm just saying that stats can lie, especially in small samples, especially with players who are very old for the league.

The O's go through extraordinary lengths to keep below replacement level players.  At least with Davis you can justify it because of his contract.  Not sure what the obsession is with keeping starters who failed multiple times in the majors, extremely limited defensive players, and tons of below average utility players.  The O's aren't a utility player away from the Red Sox and Yankees.  They are 3 or more All-Stars away from them. 

Archived