A tale of two Chris (Kris) Davises

Yossarian

I look forward every year to the Orioles making their trip to the Bay Area so I can watch my team play live.  This year, we got two quality starts out of Gausman and Cobb.  Saturday's game was a microcosm of a team that wants to win and team that seems to have given up on the season in two at bats.

First, the Orioles version of Chris Davis comes up to the plate in the top of the ninth inning with two outs and two on  in a scoreless game.  A game in which the Baltimore starter had held the opponent to two hits and no runs (a very rare quality start for an Orioles pitcher).  With a two-strike count and the game on the line, the Baltimore version of Davis proceeds to watch strike three cross the plate at his knees with seemingly no desire to want to swing.  The A's broadcast crew jumped on him saying the clean-up hitter HAS to swing in that situation.  There is no excuse for standing there.

Then, in the bottom of the twelfth inning, the A's version of Kris Davis comes up with a runner on base and one out.  The Oakland version of Kris Davis gets a 3-1 pitch and launches it into the upper deck in left center field.  

That is Baltimore's season in two at-bats.

I was at the game on Sunday - for the life of me I can't figure out how Pedro Alvarez can be playing third base on a major league baseball team.  That run-down where he bobbled the throw from Cobb and then threw the ball into right field was atrocious  That was a play that even the little league teams that I have coached executed that same play much more smoothly.

Chris Davis should take a magazine up to the plate, not a baseball bat.  He has no idea what he is doing up there and certainly has no intention of swinging the bat.  He just as well enjoy a good article in a magazine.   At some point the Orioles have to just accept that they made a mistake and take the hit financially and let him go.  He brings nothing offensively.  The entire team this weekend was horrible offensively and defensively.  Just a piss poor week overall and 6 losses to show for it.  

Even if every man, woman, child and even broadcaster in OPACY boos Chris Davis at the top of their lungs every single time he steps up to the plate, I guarantee you he will continue to be in the lineup every day as long as Buck, DD and Angelos are at the helm.

Any change must start at the top. The team’s supposed leaders care just as little about the team and the fans as Chris Davis does. In practice this means DD must go, at the very least, and his replacement must be given leeway to make changes like dumping Davis.

17 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

Even if every man, woman, child and even broadcaster in OPACY boos Chris Davis at the top of their lungs every single time he steps up to the plate, I guarantee you he will continue to be in the lineup every day as long as Buck, DD and Angelos are at the helm.

Any change must start at the top. The team’s supposed leaders care just as little about the team and the fans as Chris Davis does. In practice this means DD must go, at the very least, and his replacement must be given leeway to make changes like dumping Davis.

Until there is someone that is going to be better, they need to keep trotting him out there and hope he gets it.  He isn’t obviously blocking anyone at the moment. 

21 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

No way even if they get a new GM the Orioles are dumping Davis.Not this year or next year  2 years before they would consider it.Money,money,money 

Archived