Hypothetical Scenario

esmd

1 hour ago, esmd said:

Just because I'm curious, let's say we have two options to trade Manny:

Option 1:  Trade Manny to a contender prior to 31 July for a package of prospects, including at least 1 or 2 highly rated players

or

Option 2:  Trade Manny and Chris Davis to a contender prior to 31 July for a middling, 29 year old minor league has-been (any maybe a case of baseballs ? ).

Essentially, you'd be giving Manny away for nothing solely to get out from under Chris Davis's contract.  If you could do that (and believe, me I know it's not happening, we're just talking fun hypotheticals here), would it be worth it to you to rid us of Davis?  It begs the question, what would help the team more, getting back 2-3 good MiL prospects, or just being rid of Davis' contract?

Take the prospects.

The O's are going to rebuild - and they need to rebuild. They need to change the organizational philosophy, they need to invest in the international market, they need to hire more scouts, etc. 

Remember, Davis is actually making about $17 million a year - the rest is deferred. In 2020, the Orioles only have approximately $27 million on the books between Davis and Cobb. That's not a big deal when the O's are going to have a bunch of players at the league minimum.

So basically, take the prospects. The O's are going to rebuild and suck in 2019 and 2020 at least - getting rid of Chris Davis isn't going to change that. In 2021 and 2022, he then becomes DFA-able.

Option #2 is too ridiculous to even consider. No one will pay that kind of money for a Manny rental.

The way you make that happen is something like trading Manny and Davis to the Tigers for Zimmermann. Davis has four years and $92 million left after this season, Zimmermann has 2 years and $50 million left. Then the O's will have to eat some of that Davis contract...probably $10-$20 million, maybe even more.

Otherwise you keep Davis and trade Manny for the prospects.

24 minutes ago, oriole said:

Option #2 is too ridiculous to even consider. No one will pay that kind of money for a Manny rental.

The way you make that happen is something like trading Manny and Davis to the Tigers for Zimmermann. Davis has four years and $92 million left after this season, Zimmermann has 2 years and $50 million left. Then the O's will have to eat some of that Davis contract...probably $10-$20 million, maybe even more.

Otherwise you keep Davis and trade Manny for the prospects.

The only example I can think of that actually happened was the Red Sox - Dodgers trade where the Dodgers took on Carl Crawford's contract for Josh Beckett and Adrian Gonzalez.

So, no - don't see any team doing that again, especially for a Machado rental.

If I were taking over the franchise in this state, I would take Option 2. But, as a fan, knowing the regime in place (namely Angelos and the unwillingness to spend in the international marketplace), I'd go with the prospects.

If your trying to rebuild you don't rebuild by saving money you do it but trading for and drafting prospects. In a couple of years Davis' 17 M will be the only commitment on the payroll. Get what you can for Manny and suck it up with Davis until he gives up and negotiates a retirement deal.

Archived