Josephs Reunion

wildcard

43 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Another infielder?

I was hoping for Little Yaz, being a left handed hitting outfielder and all. Something they don't currently have.

I do not think Mr. Yastrzemski will be an Oriole. There is no Sarasota taxi squad this season. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Isn't he a minor league free agent?

I would think a minor league contract and an invite to ST would be enough to keep him in the organization.

Depending on what else the O's do this off season...... with Jones gone, Yaz knows there is a opening in RF.  His biggest competition may be from Rickard.  If the O's want Hays, Diaz and Stewart to start the season in the minors.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why?

Yaz will be 28 and has never played in the majors.   He shouldn't be in high demand from other clubs.   He probably sees opening in the O's outfield to begin the 2019 season.   There may not be a better opportunity  for him to make the majors than with the O's.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yaz will be 28 and has never played in the majors.   He shouldn't be in high demand from other clubs.   He probably sees opening in the O's outfield to begin the 2019 season.   There may not be a better opportunity  for him to make the majors than with the O's.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

Why should the Orioles bother?

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I wonder if they are considering moving Villar to SS and want to look at Corban as a possible 2B for next year.          He will have to get playing time if they want to take a good look.   But maybe he's nothing move than another body.

Or he could just be depth us a utility guy if there is an injury to Beckham, Villar, or Wilkerson. Still good to have another guy with MLB experience in the system.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry I wasn't clear.

Yaz hit 290/378/489/867 away from Harbor Park.  

Just like Mancini hit 305/375/453/828 away from Harbor Park in 2016.   

The O's will need outfielders to begin the 2019 season.  They have Mancini,  Mullins and Rickard.  And Rickard is a 4th OFer type.   Mancini may begin the season as DH/1B if Trumbo is still on the DL.  There may be a opening for Yaz with the O's next spring.  He did better this season than Stewart, Hays or Diaz.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yaz hit 290/378/489/867 away from Harbor Park.  

Just like Mancini hit 305/375/453/828 away from Harbor Park in 2016.   

The O's will need outfielders to begin the 2019 season.  They have Mancini,  Mullins and Rickard.  And Rickard is a 4th OFer type.   Mancini may begin the season as DH/1B if Trumbo is still on the DL.  There may be a opening for Yaz with the O's next spring.  He did better this season than Stewart, Hays or Diaz.

You do understand how age modifies prospect status right?

Yaz is 27.  Mancini was 24.  Stewart is 24.  Hays is 22.  Diaz is 21.

I would hope a 27 year old could outperform a 21 year old.  ?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You do understand how age modifies prospect status right?

Yaz is 27.  Mancini was 24.  Stewart is 24.  Hays is 22.  Diaz is 21.

I would hope a 27 year old could outperform a 21 year old.  ?

If those guys can out perform Yaz than let them do it in the ST.  They also have options. All I said about Yaz is offer him a minor league contract with an invite to ST.  The O's may only have Mullins and Rickard out there to start the season. That leaves two or three outfield spots open.

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry I wasn't clear.

The Orioles gave Garabez Rosa a minor League deal and invited him to Spring Training this season. Why? Maybe as a "thanks for being here."

Same difference. Yaz is a good org guy. Maybe he helped Mullins a bit in Norfolk with stuff that wasn't talked about (place to stay, stuff around town, ect.) 

He did outperform everyone else in Norfolk. Yes, he was older. Corban is older too, outperformed everyone in Bowie and is now on the MLB roster.

They wouldn't sign him to a MLB deal and would have a cheap alternative if things really bottom out in the outfield. If he comes in to the spring and destroys pitching, great. If he does just ok, great. If he doesn't, great. Nothing lost.

Archived