How Long is the Road to Contention?

WarehouseChatter

On 10/15/2018 at 3:55 PM, wildbillhiccup said:

Your statement -  "True, Peter Angelos was "the sole decision making owner" and still is this season, since neither John nor Louis is an owner. "

The Baltimore Sun published an article in May of this year that contradicts your claim that Peter is still the sole decision maker.  http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-angelos-hierarchy-0523-story.html

PS) http://www.businesswritingblog.com/business_writing/2010/04/the-overuse-of-quotation-marks.html

Sole decision making OWNER. You conveniently left out the key word in my statement. And that is dishonest.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/15/2018 at 7:00 PM, weams said:

The dead wrong was a slap down because you have no idea what Peter Angelos' health may be. And it won't be discussed here. At all. 

I never made any mention of his health, weams. How can you read that into my statement? That's putting words in my mouth. i never implied it even. I was never even thinking about Peter's health...

True, Peter Angelos was "the sole decision making owner" and still is this season, since neither John nor Louis is an owner. Lou is an "ownership representative" while John is Executive Vice President. However, I suspected in the mid-1990s that the sons held significant sway in their father's decision making processes. Sometimes, I believe, the father took the on-field personnel advice of his sons as much as he did from some of the GMs.

I won't argue with you. But you are dead wrong. 

fwiw, I was talking about 25 years ago. I guess he was in pretty good health then since he is still with us now.

On 9/26/2018 at 7:24 AM, TonySoprano said:

And lose him to NYY when he's free agent eligible.

51dcbf1e9c54c26738733dae6864ded8_crop_ex

20 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Shocked by how fat he looks.

12 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Oh come on. We can say that about other players but I get downvoted for saying I am shocked that Harper was fat looking? Truth is, I am shocked. I would have expected him to look much more athletic. I never knew how thick of waist and how chubby of cheek he was. Clearly, he worked off a lot of the fat.

I’m not the one who downvoted you, but FWIW, that’s not a picture of Bryce Harper.   I believe it’s Blaze Jordan, the name shown on the scoreboard in the background of the picture.   He is being billed as the next Bryce Harper.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not the one who downvoted you, but FWIW, that’s not a picture of Bryce Harper.   I believe it’s Blaze Jordan, the name shown on the scoreboard in the background of the picture.   He is being billed as the next Bryce Harper.

Ah, thanks for the correction. 

20 hours ago, weams said:

I just balanced out the fact that I had just upvoted you and then I was sad that you pick on fat kids. Yin. Yang. 

All of us have looked at old photos with friends and heard or said, "you were so fat/skinny; tall/short, your ears were big, your nose was small" and of course, "Oh my god, you used to have so much hair!" Most of us endure some years when we get a little out of proportion. I don't believe that we are intending to insult each other when we note the changes. And since Harper is now an adult, I believe there was nothing wrong with acknowledging he looked different as a youngin'. I was, however, wrong about who was in the photo.

I would not have commented on someone who is still of that age. He'll be alright though, despite my mistake. He is already on a gravy train that will give him wealth, fame and influence, even if he never becomes the next Bryce Harper. Celebrity opens doors, personally and financially.

• 4 months later...
On 10/22/2018 at 5:45 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Babe Ruth's (step) daughter is still alive, at 102 years-old. Her name is Julia Ruth Stevens.

19 years ago in October of 1999, she stated that she would like to see the Red Sox beat the Yankees in that year's ALCS to "break the curse" ........ I remember reading about it on the front page of the NY Daily News.

I just looked it up on the internet, and sure enough, I found the article !!! ) :eek:

Churchwell-Legotti said she couldn't understand why Ruth's daughter, Julia Ruth Stevens, is rooting for the Red Sox to beat the Yanks this year. Stevens told the Daily News last week that she wanted the Red Sox to win the World Series this year to put an end to talk of the "Curse of the Bambino," which supposedly has kept the Bosox from winning a World Series since they traded Ruth to the Yanks 80 years ago. 

The Babe Backs N.Y. - Psychic Spirit Hovers Over Yanks

(By Ruth Bashinsky and Bill Egbert)

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/babe-backs-n-y-psychic-spirit-hovers-yanks-article-1.852766

o

o

Julia Ruth Stevens, the woman who rooted for her famous stepfather's original Major League team (the Red Sox) to dethrone his 2nd Major League team (the Yankees) in the 1999 ALCS, has died.

She was the last surviving daughter of Babe Ruth.

She was 102 and-a-half years-old.

Julia Ruth Stevens, Babe Ruth’s Daughter, Dies at 102

(By Richard Goldstein)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/09/obituaries/julia-ruth-stevens-dead-babe-ruth.html

o

Archived