How much today's managers are paid (Buck is tied for 4th)

mdbdotcom

5 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

There's plenty of blame to go around; Buck deserves his share. 

Buck does deserve blame here. But, most of the blame starts at the top.

It was Buck that told Peter to outbid himself for Davis?

It was Buck that told Gausman to not pitch well, so he would get traded and then he can pitch lights out?

It was Buck that would not let DD resign Flaherty as the utility inf, and they start the year off, without a utility INF.

It easy to take pot shots at the manager, even when this team was winning, they was plenty taken.

You are too young to remember the crap that was here before Buck, getting Buck and winning baseball was better than Christmas.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Buck is not going to win a HOF, but his name does deserve some consideration.

This day and ERA, no manager makes it with the same team for 20 years, it doesn't happen.

Mike Scoscia is in his 19th season managing the Angels.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Buck is not going to win a HOF, but his name does deserve some consideration.

This day and ERA, no manager makes it with the same team for 20 years, it doesn't happen.

Mike Scoscia has been the same team for 19 years.  Only 23 managers have made it to the hall of fame.  Buck doesn't come close to being a Hall of Fame Manager.  Casey Stengel does have a similar winning percentage to Buck.  But Casey had 8 World Series rings.  

Just now, atomic said:

Mike Scoscia has been the same team for 19 years.  Only 23 managers have made it to the hall of fame.  Buck doesn't come close to being a Hall of Fame Manager.  Casey Stengel does have a similar winning percentage to Buck.  But Casey had 8 World Series rings.  

Even Casey managed a stinker or two, too.

LaRusso  couldn't stay with the same team.

The days of Earl and Lasorda with the same team, is long over.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Even Casey managed a stinker or two, too.

LaRusso  couldn't stay with the same team.

The days of Earl and Lasorda with the same team, is long over.

LaRusso was with the Cardinals for 16 years.  During his managerial career he won 6 pennants and 3 World Series titles.  Come on comparing Buck to him is like comparing Chris Davis to Hank AAron. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

LaRusso was with the Cardinals for 16 years.  During his managerial career he won 6 pennants and 3 World Series titles.  Come on comparing Buck to him is like comparing Chris Davis to Hank AAron. 

Get real.

I was only talking about today's ERA, managers dont last for 20 years with the same team.

12 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Buck does deserve blame here. But, most of the blame starts at the top.

It was Buck that told Peter to outbid himself for Davis?

It was Buck that told Gausman to not pitch well, so he would get traded and then he can pitch lights out?

It was Buck that would not let DD resign Flaherty as the utility inf, and they start the year off, without a utility INF.

It easy to take pot shots at the manager, even when this team was winning, they was plenty taken.

You are too young to remember the crap that was here before Buck, getting Buck and winning baseball was better than Christmas.

You are very wrong. First, I am not "young". Second, I have been on the Orioleshangout in one form or another since about 2000. I was here through the long, dark years. I took a break from posting for a year or so during family and work crunch time and came back with a different username. 

Buck, by all accounts, has had more input, more influence on roster construction than most managers in baseball. We do not know who pushed for which move, but all indications are that Buck was very involved with the makeup of this team. He certainly has made a ton of very dumb on-the-field moves the past few years. 

Most of the other points you raised are total strawmen, although the answer to several is at least "partially" (e.g., sticking Gausman in the bullpen and then sending him back and forth to Norfolk instead of letting him develop along a more normal trajectory, signing or not signing Flaherty was inconsequential, etc.). 

I'm not taking potshots at the manager. The team has finished in last place in their division while starting the seasons with a high payroll two years in a row. This season has been historically bad. Starting pitchers have not developed as hoped under Buck. Etc., etc. Buck is a good manager and was a great hire for the Orioles. But the results speak for themselves. Results are not pot shots. Buck is partially responsible for this mess. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

You are very wrong. First, I am not "young". Second, I have been on the Orioleshangout in one form or another since about 2000. I was here through the long, dark years. I took a break from posting for a year or so during family and work crunch time and came back with a different username. 

Buck, by all accounts, has had more input, more influence on roster construction than most managers in baseball. We do not know who pushed for which move, but all indications are that Buck was very involved with the makeup of this team. He certainly has made a ton of very dumb on-the-field moves the past few years. 

Most of the other points you raised are total strawmen, although the answer to several is at least "partially" (e.g., sticking Gausman in the bullpen and then sending him back and forth to Norfolk instead of letting him develop along a more normal trajectory, signing or not signing was inconsequential, etc.). 

I'm not taking potshots at the manager. The team has finished in last place in their division while starting the seasons with a high payroll two years in a row. This season has been historically bad. Starting pitchers have not developed as hoped under Buck. Etc., etc. Buck is a good manager and was a great hire for the Orioles. But the results speak for themselves. Results are not pot shots. Buck is partially responsible for this mess. 

Sorry, I was referring to another poster.

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Last month USA Today published a list of how much managers get paid. Buck is in the top five.

Mike Scioscia, Los Angeles Angels: $6 million 

Joe Maddon, Chicago Cubs, $6 million 

Bruce Bochy, San Francisco Giants: $6 million 

Terry Francona, Cleveland Indians: $4 million 

Buck Showalter, Baltimore Orioles: $4 million 

Ned Yost, Kansas City Royals: $3.7 million 

Clint Hurdle, Pittsburgh Pirates: $3 million 

#John Farrell, Boston Red Sox: $3 million 

Bob Melvin, Oakland A’s: $2.5 million 

Don Mattingly, Miami Marlins: $2.4 million 

#Mike Matheny, St. Louis Cardinals: $1.9 million 

John Gibbons, Toronto Blue Jays: $1.7 million 

Ron Gardenhire, Detroit Tigers: $1.5 million 

Craig Counsell, Milwaukee Brewers: $1.5 million 

Paul Molitor, Minnesota Twins: $1.5 million 

Bud Black, Colorado Rockies: $1.5 million 

#Bryan Price, Cincinnati Reds: $1.4 million 

A.J. Hinch, Houston Astros: $1.2 million 

Rick Renteria, Chicago White Sox: $1.2 million 

Aaron Boone, New York Yankees: $1.15 million 

Kevin Cash, Tampa Bay Rays: $1 million 

Dave Roberts, Los Angeles Dodgers: $1 million 

Andy Green, San Diego Padres: $1 million 

Jeff Bannister, Texas Rangers: $950,000 

Torey Lovullo, Arizona Diamondbacks: $900,000 

Davey Martinez, Washington Nationals: $850,000 

Mickey Callaway, New York Mets: $850,000 

Gabe Kapler, Philadelphia Phillies: $803,000 

Alex Cora, Boston Red Sox: $800,000 

Scott Servais, Seattle Mariners: $800,000 

Brian Snitker, Atlanta Braves: $800,000 

@Jim Riggleman, Cincinnati Reds: $700,000 (prorated) 

@Mike Shildt, St. Louis Cardinals: $700,00 (prorated) 

Continuing to pay Buck (who will turn 63 in May) $4 million a year while some of the best young managers in baseball, including Brian Snitker of the Braves and Alex Cora of the Red Sox, are making less than $1 million would make no sense at all. If we can't afford players who make that much, we certainly can't afford to pay a manager that much. The O's should hire one of the new breed type of managers; someone who relates to today's young players and isn't overpaid. 

Ok! Buck's done.

giphy.gif

Archived