The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

29 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Well then, one of us might be correct.

I really dont think it matters. The Mesa brothers want to be in Miami. Their Dad wants thwm in Miami. MLB wants thwm in Miami. The bonus money wont matter. They will get their money somehow.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dark Helmet said:

I really dont think it matters. The Mesa brothers want to be in Miami. Their Dad wants thwm in Miami. MLB wants thwm in Miami. The bonus money wont matter. They will get their money somehow.

Might not be the best time to pull some shady business when the DOJ is actively investigating the MLB international market dealings.

26 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Might not be the best time to pull some shady business when the DOJ is actively investigating the MLB international market dealings.

True. But this whole deal just seems "fishy". I guess it could be a ploy by the camp for Mesa to get the Orioles to pony up. If the Marlins are able to get all 3 with the pool they have, I call foul. I don't believe both Mesa and Gaston would turn down more money just to maybe play in Miami one day.

36 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

It's still possible to trade for slot money, so the Marlins could add to their pile, or, the O's could trade theirs to the Yankees and the Mesa clan could end up in the Bronx.

Didn't we already trade away some of the slot money we acquired?

3 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

True. But this whole deal just seems "fishy". I guess it could be a ploy by the camp for Mesa to get the Orioles to pony up. If the Marlins are able to get all 3 with the pool they have, I call foul. I don't believe both Mesa and Gaston would turn down more money just to maybe play in Miami one day.

I’d say it was fishy if anything weird had happened, but so far, it’s as expected, I don’t understand what has changed, the Orioles are still the favorites, of course there are whispers that the Mesas prefer Miami, that might be the difference between 4.5M and 5+M in bonus money from the O’s if VVM’s representation can convince the O’s that they’d take a discount for Miami.  

I mean a lot of things could happen, the O’s scouts may not have been impressed and refuse to offer a large amount or they might call the bluff that the Mesas prefer Miami (and maybe it isn’t completely a bluff) but if the O’s offer them 6M (5.5 VVM/500K VMJ or something similar), they ain’t signing with Miami for 4.3M, just too much money on the table.

14 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I’d say it was fishy if anything weird had happened, but so far, it’s as expected, I don’t understand what has changed, the Orioles are still the favorites, of course there are whispers that the Mesas prefer Miami, that might be the difference between 4.5M and 5+M in bonus money from the O’s if VVM’s representation can convince the O’s that they’d take a discount for Miami.  

I mean a lot of things could happen, the O’s scouts may not have been impressed and refuse to offer a large amount or they might call the bluff that the Mesas prefer Miami (and maybe it isn’t completely a bluff) but if the O’s offer them 6M (5.5 VVM/500K VMJ or something similar), they ain’t signing with Miami for 4.3M, just too much money on the table.

Wonder if he takes a discount if they sign his brother first. 

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

The amount of money is artificially low.  If there was not the new MLB international signing rules that went into effect a couple of years ago, Mesa would likely be looking at $50 million (see Puig, Tomas, Olivera etc).  The $2.5 million in international bonus money the Orioles received in the Gausman trade was a big piece of the trade. Virtually everyone else is already signed and if the Orioles don't spend it, it does not carry over to next year.  Therefore, it is difficult to believe that Mesa is not worth virtually all the Orioles can offer even if they are not impressed.

The Orioles trading away $750k in international bonus money for Jack Zoellner never made any sense.  I refuse to believe that they legitimately consider a player who will be 24 last month and put up mediocre numbers in the GCL any type of prospect at all.

If Mesa turns out to have a decent career, the difference between what the Orioles and Marlins can offer is very small in the scheme of his career earnings.

13 minutes ago, POR said:

The amount of money is artificially low.  If there was not the new MLB international signing rules that went into effect a couple of years ago, Mesa would likely be looking at $50 million (see Puig, Tomas, Olivera etc).  The $2.5 million in international bonus money the Orioles received in the Gausman trade was a big piece of the trade. Virtually everyone else is already signed and if the Orioles don't spend it, it does not carry over to next year.  Therefore, it is difficult to believe that Mesa is not worth virtually all the Orioles can offer even if they are not impressed.

The Orioles trading away $750k in international bonus money for Jack Zoellner never made any sense.  I refuse to believe that they legitimately consider a player who will be 24 last month and put up mediocre numbers in the GCL any type of prospect at all.

If Mesa turns out to have a decent career, the difference between what the Orioles and Marlins can offer is very small in the scheme of his career earnings.

Giving away that slot money for Zoellner was one of the more irritating moves of the year by the O's - especially after the grand talk about them changing their ways.  And that irritation will likely increase if they don't sign VVM.  We'll be talking more about the O's curious ways with International Confederate Monopoly money.   

10 hours ago, Malike said:

Are you scooping this? I can't find a single article anywhere saying he's signed with anyone.

No, I saw on twitter that he was signing there though. I know he had a deal in place with them a while back and it was withdrawn over the PED issue. 

8 hours ago, section18 said:

The following was written sometime this afternoon I think after the workout;

https://www.fishstripes.com/2018/10/5/17833438/cuban-international-free-agents-showcase-marlins-park-victor-victor-mesa-sandy-gaston

The Orioles are mentioned here so they know we have the most money. Is somebody under the table going to give these players the money we could have given them to sign for less with the Marlins? Have things gotten this shady?

This workout should have been at a college stadium somewhere down south.  Did you see in the margin of this article a story about Buck possibly ending up in Miami?

Jeter loves Buck. Loves him.

19 minutes ago, Orioles1954 said:

The difference  of international $$$ available is easily made up by endorsement possibilities in Miami. 

Really? I can't recall the last time any baseball player got a substantial endorsement deal. MaybeTrout with Sub way or Harper with UA?

25 minutes ago, jeffstonefan said:

Really? I can't recall the last time any baseball player got a substantial endorsement deal. MaybeTrout with Sub way or Harper with UA?

I'm not talking on the national level. I would think the Mesas would be a lot more marketable in Miami than Baltimore. Last time I saw an Oriole pitching a local product was Joey Rickard with Royal Farms chicken!

Archived