Welcome to birdland Don Long! New Orioles hitting coach

Diehard_O's_Fan

Don Long will be the Orioles new hitting coach. I feel like the man deserves his own thread. From what I understand, Don was unemployed before the Orioles hired him. I am glad that he found work. Does Brandon know Don or did Mike Elias recommend Don to Brandon? Will Don work well with young impatient hitters? Welcome to birdland Don Long!

15 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Don Long will be the Orioles new hitting coach. I feel like the man deserves his own thread. From what I understand, Don was unemployed before the Orioles hired him. I am glad that he found work. Does Brandon know Don or did Mike Elias recommend Don to Brandon? Will Don work well with young impatient hitters? Welcome to birdland Don Long!

I hope the manager made the choice. There is a chain of command that needs to be followed. IMO 

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

He was the Phillies Minor League Hitting Coordinator during the period that Ryan Howard, Jimmy Rollins, Carlos Ruiz, Chase Utley, and Pat Burrell came up through the system.

He was also Bob Melvin's bench coach for five years in Arizona. I don't believe we've hired a bench coach yet.

6 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Has Don ever worked for the same team as Brandon though during the same time period? How have there paths crossed?

Don Long was the hitting coach in Pittsburgh when John Russell managed there 2008-2010. And had been the hitting coach under Russell in 2007 when both were at Phillies AAA affiliate.   Maybe this says more about Russell’s situation. 

• 2 months later...

Don long, has a long history of being a coward. Even when he was released he cried like a baby. He will throw any player or coach under the bus to get ahead.  The O’s have lost their way with this hire.

Archived