Sherill being looked at by phillies?

Saintbird

Why would they trade Burrell if they are loading up to win. More dreaming here IMO. NOTE : Contending teams dont usually trade their star players in exchange for players of non-contending team.

Thye trade prospects as not to wipe out the additions by making subtractions!

He is a FA

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe the Phillies are still looking at Burnett,too. Blanton has looked bad in his first 2 starts

Burnett and Sherrill would really help their club. Now heres a question, if we traded for Donald, he would have to play through the Olympics before coming back to start in Baltimore. I don't think the O's would pull him from the Olympic roster would they?

The rumor appeared to be more focused on the other relievers because of the cost of Fuentes. So they wouldn't like the cost of Sherrill IMO.

Just checking out Sherrill's stats again as he came into today's game. He's just truly got some mediocre numbers for a reliever (other than saves) and I think people need to temper their expectations for what we get back. He's blown 6 saves. He's got a 1.40 WHIP. His ERA is nearly 4.00. There's about a half-dozen closers in the league this year who have ERA's below 2.75 and whip's around 1.10. He's not one of the better guys available if you're not considering saves, which are a function moreso of the number of close games a team plays.

Wow there are just so many suitors for Sherrill right now. Tigers, Phillies, Brewers, Sox, Rays, and Cardinals. I think AM will trade Sherrill before the deadline, even if its only a "fair" deal. I can not see his value ever being as high as it is now, and I believe AM knows that. AM is just waiting as long as he can and hoping some team makes a desperate move. AM will NOT risk holding Sherrill until the offseason.

Burnett and Sherrill would really help their club. Now heres a question, if we traded for Donald, he would have to play through the Olympics before coming back to start in Baltimore. I don't think the O's would pull him from the Olympic roster would they?

They couldn't if they wanted to. They are past the cut off date, and the guys on the team are on it for the long run. The Olympic team got permission from every club before the season that if they selected a player that they had full control, so they knew that they had to call them up before July 22 in order to keep them from the Olympic team. That is why Taylor Teagarden got called up to TEX with Salty, Laird and Max Ramirez up already.

The latest on the Phillies from Stark:

The Phillies remain interested in both Brian Fuentes and George Sherrill, as well as a number of left-handed set-up men (Jack Taschner, John Grabow, etc.). But it's possible they might not make a trade until the August waiver period, while they try to assess Brett Myers' comeback and Joe Blanton's impact on their rotation. If neither goes as plans, they may opt to shift course and attempt to deal for a starter next month.

Archived