Sherill being looked at by phillies?

Saintbird

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ken Wyman said he thought today was Sherrill's last as an Oriole...

Yes, he did but he also specifically mentioned that he had "no inside info" and that it was just his gut feeling. I don't want people to get carried away getting the wrong idea here.

cbm5042

Woah it could have just been a day off but Jason Donald didn't play today for Reading...
J.A. Happ was taken out of his game after pitching 2.2 innings for no reason. It is not health related.

Man, we get these ridiculous things to happen when we are talking about them. Then everyone gets excited.

Including myself :D Yahoo, come on man lets get some trades done.

Man, we get these ridiculous things to happen when we are talking about them. Then everyone gets excited.

Including myself :D Yahoo, come on man lets get some trades done.

It is crazy but I hope this has some substance lets look at the facts.

Increased chatter about Phillies interest

Pulled after Sherrill's 30th save

Donald didn't play today (that could be coincidence)

Fuentes may be coming off the market

Its just fun to speculate...

It is crazy but I hope this has some substance lets look at the facts.

Increased chatter about Phillies interest

Pulled after Sherrill's 30th save

Donald didn't play today (that could be coincidence)

Fuentes may be coming off the market

Its just fun to speculate...

It is fun but I doubt Sherrill would have pitched the 9th today if there was something close to being done.

It is fun but I doubt Sherrill would have pitched the 9th today if there was something close to being done.

Yes but when Phillies scouts were reportedly at OPACY they didn't get to see him in action. Maybe they wanted to before giving the go ahead? This could all be nothing or it could be something we should find out soon.

For what it's worth, both Happ and Donald are expendable as far as PHI is concerned. Donald is obviously blocked by Utley and Rollins, and Happ (while making strides this year at AAA) still only has a mid-rotation ceiling. I don't know if you guys have kicked the tires on these two, but here is my take.

Donald has the hands and footwork to stay at SS, though his arm is only average and his range is lacking. Just like Cal, he makes up for his lack of range with good positioning and reads off the bat. He looked very good at the Futures Game alongside Pennington, though he was a little clunky after getting to a ball up the middle (he was able to eventually get the ball to Pennington for the force but could not turn two). i believe he also threw a ball away on a DP, but that might have been Valaika (blanking right now). I would be happy to give him a shot at SS and just let him slide over to 2b whenever Roberts can no longer handle it. He's a gap-to-gap hitter, but I'd prefer he not be relied upon as a top 2/3 of the order hitter. A future lineup with him hitting 7th would be aces in my book.

Happ's biggest improvement has been his walk rate -- dropping his BB/9IP from 4.7 at AAA last year to 3.1 at AAA this year. He gets by more on deception than pure stuff, but his fastball/changeup combo should be enough to get out ML hitters. He won't be a front-end guy, but he could be a solid back-ender with a #3 ceiling. At 6'5" 205 he passes the eye-test and should hold up fine over the course of a ML season.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Oh, and if AM is able to sneak in a third player, I'd look for someone like Antonio Bastardo. He's another fastball/changeup strikeout pitcher with an "okay" breaking pitch (sort of a slurvy slider). At 5'11" 185ish I have doubts he can be a starter long term. He's my type of "throw-in" to target -- fringe starter stuff that could be good almost right away in the pen. He's at AA Reading righ now and holding his own.

EDIT -- I just went back and looked at my notes -- it was Valaika that threw a ball away. Donald made a nice pivot after receiving a good feed from Pennington.

EDIT 2 -- Donald threw a different ball away (as pointed out by Pruke). Valaika's was not an error because it was on the back end of a DP.

For what it's worth, both Happ and Donald are expendable as far as PHI is concerned. Donald is obviously blocked by Utley and Rollins, and Happ (while making strides this year at AAA) still only has a mid-rotation ceiling. I don't know if you guys have kicked the tires on these two, but here is my take.

Donald has the hands and footwork to stay at SS, though his arm is only average and his range is lacking. Just like Cal, he makes up for his lack of range with good positioning and reads off the bat. He looked very good at the Futures Game alongside Pennington, though he was a little clunky after getting to a ball up the middle (he was able to eventually get the ball to Pennington for the force but could not turn two). i believe he also threw a ball away on a DP, but that might have been Valaika (blanking right now). I would be happy to give him a shot at SS and just let him slide over to 2b whenever Roberts can no longer handle it. He's a gap-to-gap hitter, but I'd prefer he not be relied upon as a top 2/3 of the order hitter. A future lineup with him hitting 7th would be aces in my book.

Happ's biggest improvement has been his walk rate -- dropping his BB/9IP from 4.7 at AAA last year to 3.1 at AAA this year. He gets by more on deception than pure stuff, but his fastball/changeup combo should be enough to get out ML hitters. He won't be a front-end guy, but he could be a solid back-ender with a #3 ceiling. At 6'5" 205 he passes the eye-test and should hold up fine over the course of a ML season.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Oh, and if AM is able to sneak in a third player, I'd look for someone like Antonio Bastardo. He's another fastball/changeup strikeout pitcher with an "okay" breaking pitch (sort of a slurvy slider). At 5'11" 185ish I have doubts he can be a starter long term. He's my type of "throw-in" to target -- fringe starter stuff that could be good almost right away in the pen. He's at AA Reading righ now and holding his own.

If he can land Donald and Happ I doubt a third player would come back but I would be ecstatic with that return. It makes so much sense for both teams its silly.

Archived