2019 Washington Nationals

OFFNY

5 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

The author (Eddie Matz) chimes in on the Nationals' 2019 season, and refers to an article that he wrote 7 months ago.

5 Reasons the Nationals didn't need Bryce Harper After All

(By Eddie Matz)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27691036/five-reasons-nats-need-bryce-harper-all

o

o

(7 MONTHS EARLIER) )))))) [February of 2019]

No More Bryce Harper? The National will be Just Fine, Thank You

(By Eddie Matz)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25558041/no-more-bryce-harper-nats-just-fine-thank-you

o

Honestly, I think they've as good a chance as anyone. A 3-stud rotation and an opportunistic lineup such as theirs can carry a team a long way in the postseason. The BP...well, maybe the former two can overcome/hide the latter.

They remind me quite a bit of the '17-'18 Capitals: year after year after year of hype and high expectations only to wilt in the playoff spotlight, but once the pressure was relatively off that season, boom, it all came together. We'll see how the Nationals do now that they themselves are coming in under the radar for a change.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Does winning the Wildcard game count as winning a playoff series?

o

No.

Their franchise has won one playoff series in its history (1969 - Present), in the 1981 NLDS. They had an extra round of playoffs that season because of ........ the Players Strike.

They might have won it all in 1994 when they had the best record in the Major Leagues at 74-40, but the post-season was canceled that year because of ........ the Players Strike.

o

Suzuki starting tonight.  The Brewers aren't an especially fleet team, but I don't know if that elbow has really been tested since they have nursed him back.  That's a subplot I'm watching in the first hour, before the real juicy stuff of how the Nationals will handle the pitching after Scherzer.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Peculiar timing.  I see the reports said made early September.  I don't get either the Nationals camp or Rendon's camp leaking this today.  Maybe the club wanted to get it out to the fanbase from a momentary position of strength/optimism because another immediate elimination would suck up the oxygen for a couple days, and it would seem more desperate then.  This pot will bubble now even if they make a run.

13 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And the Nationals get to live another day thanks to Trent Grisham's error that allowed the go ahead run to score from first base in the bottom of the 8th inning. 

Hader was awful. When Zimmerman got the bloop hit I thought it might happen for them. Brew Crew has to be sick.