Really stupid stuff

wildcard

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Every single player on a Major League roster throws a baseball at least dozens of times a day.  Okay, not David Ortiz and Harold Baines, but everyone else.  I'm not really grasping how it's terribly unfair to Chris Davis to have him throw 20 pitches at the end of a blowout.  Tomorrow he'll get to the park, grab a glove, and play catch for 15 or 20 minutes, which is probably 10 or 15 minutes longer than he pitched.

If we've elevated the level of worry and gotten so hyper-protective of MLBers that they're at grave risk for throwing a baseball 20 or 30 times I think it's time to back things off few notches.  Jose Canseco probably sold more copies of his tell-all book because he once tore an ACL pitching.  It added to his absurd legend.

There's a difference between pitching and throwing. Come on now.

3 hours ago, weams said:

I like position players pitching in blowouts. Especially marginal ones. 

I have an idea!  The Orioles need to sign someone like Tom Candiotti to be a bullpen coach.  Candiotti was knuckleball pitcher in the 1980s.  He's 61 now, that might be a bit much.  But someone like that.  When yesterday's game goes 12 innings and you burned eight pitchers, you demote some guy with options, and sign him to a league-minimum one-year deal.  If the starter gets knocked out in the 3rd, Candiotti pitches the rest of the game.  After the game you release him, he goes back to being 2nd string bullpen coach.  Rinse, repeat, as often as necessary.  Nobody else is ever going to sign him.  You have a mopup man as needed for the pro-rated cost of 10/162nds of the MLB minimum (if you use him 10 times).  If he gets hurt, so what?  If he gives up 11 runs in three innings?  So what?  And you don't have to worry about Chris Davis or Jesus Sucre tearing an ACL pitching.  

Edit... maybe the downside here is the contract is guaranteed, right?  Could you structure this as some kind of major-minor league deal where he's just getting paid when he's in the show, and the rest of the time pretending he's in extended spring training making low-A rates?

1 hour ago, theocean said:

You're asking a position player to do something they aren't trained to do. If they injure their shoulder or elbow - that's damaging to their career. You're also asking someone to get in the box against someone who doesn't have incredible control. Even a 70mph fastball can break a wrist.

Not really worried about the "embarrassment" of it. Anytime a position player goes out on the mound, they all say they just try not to get hurt. It's really unfair to the players' careers.

This post is very fitting on a thread with this title. 

20 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Sorry you disagree, but I don't think an opinion shared by a lot of players and baseball writers is stupid. Thanks for your wonderful contribution to the discussion here.

1 hour ago, theocean said:

You're asking a position player to do something they aren't trained to do. If they injure their shoulder or elbow - that's damaging to their career. You're also asking someone to get in the box against someone who doesn't have incredible control. Even a 70-MPH fastball can break a wrist.

Not really worried about the "embarrassment" of it. Anytime a position player goes out on the mound, they all say they just try not to get hurt. It's really unfair to the players' careers.

32 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

10 minutes ago, theocean said:

Sorry you disagree, but I don't think an opinion shared by a lot of players and baseball writers is stupid. Thanks for your wonderful contribution to the discussion here.

o

When I read his post, I interpreted it as that he was agreeing with you. I thought that he was inferring (in accordance with you) that it was "stupid" to tell a position player to pitch for the reasons that you illustrated ........ but I guess that I was just being stupid.

o

2 hours ago, theocean said:

Yeah, in 2012. Seven years ago. When he was 26. In the 16th and 17th inning.

He's finally starting to be a little successful at the plate. He goes up there and strains his oblique in a whatever game? Not fair to him as a player and not a smart use of a guy you owe a ton of money to.

Anything is fair to anyone who makes so much money and does so little for it. They should use him as they see fit. If he suffers a career ending injury, so be it. He'll still get paid.

Archived