The Silver Lining Report: Twins Series Edition (O's swept)

interloper

I hope everyone had a lovely Easter/Passover/Spring Break/Chill Time. The weather was excellent. The baseball? Pretty weird!

GAME 21/162 (O's lose 6-5)

• Another close game: Once again, these O's are right in it. They don't always win, as we'll see in this thread, but they do show fight. It's perhaps the most classic of silver linings.
  • Dan Straily: Not his best game, but the ERA keeps falling, this time from 10.24 to 8.59. He went 5 innings, which this year is going to be our gold standard for the most part. 
  • ?Tanner Scott: Ah, yes, this is why we keep giving him chances. He went 2 innings, struck out 5, and allowed no baserunners. More of that, please! The slider was on point.
  • Miguel Castro: 4 outs, 1 hit. A nice outing for Miguel, who has only allowed 1 run in his last 4 outings. Progress!
  • Jonathan Schoop: A nice ovation for Jonny Baseball, and a classy tip of the helmet to the crowd. Promptly hit a double down the RF line. 
  • Dwight Smith Jr.: A 2-run shot to CF as he's beginning to showcase some power. Added another hit and a walk to go with it. What a find he's been. 
  • Renato Nunez: He'll show up a lot in this thread. Followed up Smith's home run with one of his own. Dude can hit! 
  • Chris Davis: Robbed! But also added 2 hits including a double. Just keep it rolling big man. 
  • Pedro Severino: Another big fly! He's angling for more playing time for sure. I like his ABs and his quality of contact. Plus he does that thing where he wiggles his helmet up and down real fast a bunch of times as he steps in the box and I like that.
  • Trey Mancini: 2 more doubles, one down the LF line and one down the RF line. That second one would drive in the 5th run of the ballgame. Dude is a beast.
  • Rio Ruiz: 2 for 3 with another walk. That line just keeps getting more respectable as he's up to a .733 OPS now. And, as we know, his walk rate still leads the team.
  • Mini ?s: Mullins hit and SB, Villar SB

GAME 22/162 (O's lose 16-7)

• Scored 7 runs: Hey, we got clobbered, but we did a little clobbering of our own. A silver lining is a silver lining. 7 runs from this squad is pretty solid.
  • Mike Wright: In his Orioles swan song (we'll see about that), he did what he was called upon to do: eat innings. In a disaster of a Cobb start, he managed to step in and prevent further bullpen destruction. Thanks, Dennis. See you in a couple months, probably. 
  • Branden Kline: ML debut! Long road of recovery! Tears were shed! His first inning looked good - a 3-up-3-down affair. His second inning was a warm welcome to Camden Yards. I hope he sticks and has some success. 
  • Chris Davis: Finally returns to the mound. It wasn't quite the performance as that Red Sox game, but he did strike a guy out and has a better ERA than Mike Wright. The home run? Schoop, of course.
  • ?Renato Nunez: 3-4, 3 RBI, 2 HR, 3 R. Unicorn. 
  • Hanser Alberto: 1st big fly for Hanser! A 2-run shot. Would add another hit as well. Also moved all around the field playing 3B, LF, and 2B in this game. 
  • Richie Martin: 2 hits! He's slowly coming around. Maybe. Keep plugging away, Richie.
  • Mini ?s: Double for Villar, a hit for Rickard.
  • Errors: 0

GAME 23/162 (O's lose 4-3)

• Another close game: So close, man. They almost pulled this one out. Identical box score to the Twins, except for the run column.
  • Dylan Bundy: The man loves him some incremental progress, huh? For the third time, he pitched his best start of the season. This time he went 6, giving up 2 ER for the quality start. He hasn't spun a great one yet like he's capable of, but he's doing the next best thing which is getting a little bit better each time out.
  • Phillips & Givens: 3 scoreless innings between them. They did their part!
  • ?Jonathan Villar: 3 hits including an RBI double in the 9th. Was in a bit of a mini slump, perhaps, and good to see him have a nice game at the plate. Also had a SB, his 6th.
  • Dwight Smith Jr: Redeemed his lost-in-the-sun error with a pretty ridiculous diving catch in LF that he *JUST* got to. Fantastic play. On the other side of the ball, he had a big 2-run single. 
  • Mini ?s: 2 hits for Sucre, a hit and a walk for Mancini, and a tight game played all around honestly. 

Whew. I probably missed a few things. Lemme know! 

Silver lining:

Cause I can get games free on-line (thanks to sc0tt), and send them over to my tv, I do not have to plunk down $$ to watch a terrible team.  And mlb.tv wants me to get the season for $77.  I'm vacationing with Bob Kraft.  That money will come in very 'hand'y.

Archived