Blake Davis...SS prospect?

LookinUp

I will say this right now, Davis has shown me that he's improved as a player and that's a good thing. His arm was stronger this year then I've seen in the past and although I don't think he's ever going to be a plus bat, he's making the improvements that suggests he's starting to figure out what kind of hitter he is and that's not going to be a power hitter.

If he can stay gap to gap and his arm strength can hold up, he might start getting people to think he could be an option at short one day. Like some other posters have said, he's certainly not worse than our current options.

How do you think he rates against Joey Hammond a few years back? Seems like similar numbers, similar arm, about the same age. Hammond got one real shot at AAA and took a slight step back numbers wise...then he was gone.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to like Davis's progress over 2008:

April - .185/.264/.284

May - .263/.307/.368

June - .281/.313/.416

July - .309/.323/.436

August - .380/.416/.456

That's pretty steady improvement. At a minimum he gets promoted to Norfolk next year. He needs to learn to draw some walks, though.

You have to like Davis's progress over 2008:

April - .185/.264/.284

May - .263/.307/.368

June - .281/.313/.416

July - .309/.323/.436

August - .380/.416/.456

That's pretty steady improvement. At a minimum he gets promoted to Norfolk next year. He needs to learn to draw some walks, though.

Maybe a look at in Spring Training! Has a good Defense!

Maybe I'm being too negative, but I don't see it. Even in those 79 August at bats where his numbers look so good, he's got just 6 xbh's - all doubles.

Uh, yea I think you are!! If he can hit .275(which is better than all 3 combine :D) and play solid defense, than why not give him a chance.

Maybe I'm being too negative, but I don't see it. Even in those 79 August at bats where his numbers look so good, he's got just 6 xbh's - all doubles.

BP's Clay Davenport translates Davis's current performance to a .214 EqA, and forecasts a peak of .228. Clearly, he has no hope of playing SS in the majors.

Unless he finds himself in an organization with these alternatives:

[b]Stiff     EqA[/b]Cintron   .228Fahey     .214Hernandez .214Castro    .183Bynum     .147

Clearly, he has no hope of playing SS in the majors.

Come on, you're better then this. He has a .715 OPS in AA while reportedly playing very good defense. He has a chance to be a ML SS, he is most likely a back-up, but who knows? Those projection systems are far from an exact science.

Come on, you're better then this. He has a .715 OPS in AA while reportedly playing very good defense. He has a chance to be a ML SS, he is most likely a back-up, but who knows? Those projection systems are far from an exact science.

He made a very good post - with facts and appropriate sarcasm. If the best we gots is a 24/25 year old with a .715 OPS in AA who has average range and an average arm, we have a problem, Houst... er Balmer.

He made a very good post - with facts and appropriate sarcasm. If the best we gots is a 24/25 year old with a .715 OPS in AA who has average range and an average arm, we have a problem, Houst... er Balmer.

I didn't realize the sarcasm, my fault.

It's not news that we have no depth at SS, however it is nice to see a player at that position putting up solid numbers at a high level in the minors.

Blake Davis is probably a utility player, but still has a chance to be a ML starting SS, IMO. Especially if he stays in this organization.

BP's Clay Davenport translates Davis's current performance to a .214 EqA, and forecasts a peak of .228. Clearly, he has no hope of playing SS in the majors.

Projects aren't always accurate. I think PECOTA had Markakis having a .813 OPS this season, which is ridiculous. And that's just one example.

And that doesn't take into his progress this season.

Projects aren't always accurate. I think PECOTA had Markakis having a .813 OPS this season, which is ridiculous. And that's just one example.

And that doesn't take into his progress this season.

I agree. Mil projection stats are far from an exact science.

I believe at his peak, Davis could put up a .700+ OPS. If you can do that while playing good Defense at SS, you can start at SS in the Majors.

It's obvious you haven't seen him play this year, because his defense has been almost flawless this year. He's been clutch with his bat during the playoff chase, moving runner over, he's been a very good player and you can ask any of the starters in Bowie that they're very gratefull that they have a SS like Blake. I would have to say he's probably better than what we have in Baltimore. I saw Cintron play in Bowie and he was just terrible, looked like a Babe Ruth, Little League player

Archived