Orioles’ and Ravens’ stadiums to be test sites for new weapon-detection security systems in 2020

Going Underground

Could make a joke about the Oriole pitching staff but leave that to more clever people.

Oriole Park at Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium, homes of the Orioles and Ravens, respectively, will be test sites next year for Liberty Defense Holdings’ new technology that uses low-powered radar imagining and artificial intelligence to detect concealed weapons on stadium patrons.

The product, known as HEXWAVE, can detect both metallic and nonmetallic items, and doesn’t collect or store identifiable information, the company said.

The Maryland Stadium Authority entered into an agreement with Liberty Defense to beta test the product for one to three weeks next year, and it will be up to the Maryland Stadium Authority to determine how to deploy the product.

The stadiums in Baltimore will be among several test sites next year, including Bayern Munich’s Allianz Arena in Germany, Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the state of Utah.

“What we’re doing here is while we’re developing the technology, and how it can be applied, clearly central to that is understanding how they would perform in one of the real requirements in an actual customer environment,” said Riker, who came to Liberty Defense from the Edgewood-based Smiths Detections.

The scanning kiosks use 200 times less frequency than an in-home Wi-Fi system, Riker said, and create a three-dimensional image of objects on one’s body that is “communicated to embedded artificial intelligence, which uses a form of deep neural networks and deep learning, and that system identifies what that is.”

Security on the scene will be identified if the object is determined to be a weapon.

“It does this all in about 0.2 seconds, so it’s very, very fast,” Riker said. “You’ll pass through, and I would say hopefully a majority of people are just walking right through. You’re not having to take your cellphone out or your keys and stuff like that.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-camden-yards-security-hexwave-20190912-47gvo67trfg4xelxomxqxh33ki-story.html

• Upvote 1

What a world we've lived in these past 18 years.   To avoid politics, I'll leave it there.

The 2018 Ravens drew about 70K per game, whereas the 2019 Orioles will draw less than 25% of that.    I guess using Baltimore teams, they're testing both extremes.

Here is more on the system and how it works

https://libertydefense.com/about-hexwave/

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Oh man, that is going to tick off Ravens fans to no end. 

Slightly on topic: When I was active police, our overtime detail pre game consisted of making sure people weren't taking alcohol from the train to the stadium. Couldn't get everyone, but the phrase "how often can you tell your friends that a cop gave you a direct order to chug a beer?" usually made people stop and chug instead of taking it up.

• Upvote 1