Should Rendon be offered more than 7/210 by the rebuilding Baltimore Orioles

pstroms333

Just now, theocean said:

Deferred money seems to be standard operating procedure for the Nationals. Corbin and Strasburg's contracts are incredibly backloaded with deferred money. Scherzer's contact is backloaded.

It seems like a good way to land star players while paying less than "expected."

And once the MASN situation gets settled they will have plenty of cash for the payments.

Deferred money is a solid strategy but too much of it can impede roster construction down the road.

4 minutes ago, dmvsports410 said:

So a smaller percentage of the money would be deferred.

The article compares it to the Scherzer deal.  Fangraphs had this to say about the Scherzer deal when it was signed.

Instead, the Nationals will pay Scherzer $15 million per season, but do so for 14 years; essentially, they’ve deferred half of each season’s salary seven years into the future. Effectively, they signed Scherzer for $105 million over the seven years that he’ll pitch for them, and then they’ll pay him the next $105 million after the contract ends, making this the most deferred money contract in baseball history.

That's still a ton of deferred money.

5 hours ago, dmvsports410 said:

Max has been worth every penny in my opinion. Rendon I would be worried about him staying healthy. Lerners will to spend to win from what I see. 

Scherzer’s contract is probably the best $100 mm+ free agent contract in baseball history.    

7 hours ago, theocean said:

Deferred money seems to be standard operating procedure for the Nationals. Corbin and Strasburg's contracts are incredibly backloaded with deferred money. Scherzer's contact is backloaded.

It seems like a good way to land star players while paying less than "expected."

Except they've got a crazy amount of deferred money due to three pitchers after Scherzer, Strasburg and Corbin's contracts expire.  When I looked into it last year on another forum, it was at $90 million.  They are definitely making it on it now, but when it comes time to extend Turner and Soto, their resources might be primarily tied up in money for guys not playing for them anymore.  

6 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

It's one investment the Orioles should've made if they weren't re-signing Cruz or Markakis.  We needed a true ace in the worst way.  

In retrospect, yes.  A lot of things look great when you can predict the future, and are able to secure unlikely outcomes ahead of time.

I'm sure that the Dodgers were thinking exactly the same thing you were here when they signed Jason Schmidt in 2007.  Boston signed David Price to be their ace in 2016, and for $30M a year he's been a solid #2 for them, at least the two years he's been healthy out of four.

15 hours ago, weams said:

It's good that the players get a small share of the proceeds. I would prefer if the floor were raised a bit. and maybe a limit on years of a contract as a trade off. 

True, I am happy the players get a share and I want to see limits too, like you said.

I cant image seeing Brooks or Cal in Yankee pinstripes. I know Johnny U didnt say in Colts Blue and White, but back then that was not the norm.

41 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

In retrospect, yes.  A lot of things look great when you can predict the future, and are able to secure unlikely outcomes ahead of time.

I'm sure that the Dodgers were thinking exactly the same thing you were here when they signed Jason Schmidt in 2007.  Boston signed David Price to be their ace in 2016, and for $30M a year he's been a solid #2 for them, at least the two years he's been healthy out of four.

The Nats have been very fortunate with their pitching investments, at least so far.    $525 mm combined for Scherzer, Strasburg and Corbin, and to date they’re all living up to or exceeding their contracts.    The odds of that happening are pretty astronomical.  Meanwhile our big pitching investments have been Ubaldo and Cobb.    Enough said.    

4 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I could see Strasburgh opting out as well and they have the oldest roster in baseball.  They have a lot of balls to juggle but I think they will make Rendon priority #1.

I assume Strasburg will opt out, or at least use his opt out as leverage to extend his deal another year or two, like Sabathia and Kershaw did.  

9 minutes ago, dmvsports410 said:

They will get definitely lock up Soto. Lerners will figure out a way, and they aren't afraid to spend. 

They need his minimum wage salary to help keep them under the luxury tax threshold. He’s a Boras client so we can Imagine what it would take to ink a long term contact. 

• Upvote 1