Jealous

Frobby

It's a very strange position to be as a fan.  I have lived in northern VA my entire life and began following the O's in 1982 because we had no team.  I am a home town team guy and fans of the other 3 DC teams.  So I found myself pulling and even cheering out loud for the Nats but I am still an Orioles fan 100%.  It is just hard not to get caught up in it because it is DC.  

I am happy for THEM.  I am not going to be wearing any Nats world champs gear though.  The Orioles are my team.  I don't have a second favorite team.   I hope WE can experience winning after this rebuild.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

With the way the World Series TV ratings are going it is probably be going to be that way before long.  The world is changing.  Us old dudes are the ones supporting baseball. We won't be around forever. 

What are the TV ratings for the NWSL?  Higher or lower than for the Sham-Wow infomercial?  Men's soccer gets some big games with ratings that approach or even eclipse a lot of MLB/NHL/NBA games.  MLS not so much, DC United moved most of their games to an obscure, buggy streaming service.  Women's World Cup gets good ratings.  But women's pro soccer in the US?  It's mostly something you see on MASN or Fox Sports Des Moines when it's the off-hours/offseason and there's no Mountain West college football game to televise.  Even the die-hard women soccer players I know don't regularly watch the NWSL.

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What are the TV ratings for the NWSL?  Higher or lower than for the Sham-Wow infomercial?  Men's soccer gets some big games with ratings that approach or even eclipse a lot of MLB/NHL/NBA games.  MLS not so much, DC United moved most of their games to an obscure, buggy streaming service.  Women's World Cup gets good ratings.  But women's pro soccer in the US?  It's mostly something you see on MASN or Fox Sports Des Moines when it's the off-hours/offseason and there's no Mountain West college football game to televise.  Even the die-hard women soccer players I know don't regularly watch the NWSL.

NWSL is a joke comparing to MLB ratings. MLB pulls in the millions and NWSL can barely tap 100K

Sunday’s ESPN2 broadcast of North Carolina vs. Chicago garnered 149,000 viewers (peaking at 177,000), which is the largest NWSL audience since it’s 2016 final. 

16 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

It's a very strange position to be as a fan.  I have lived in northern VA my entire life and began following the O's in 1982 because we had no team.  I am a home town team guy and fans of the other 3 DC teams.  So I found myself pulling and even cheering out loud for the Nats but I am still an Orioles fan 100%.  It is just hard not to get caught up in it because it is DC.  

I am happy for THEM.  I am not going to be wearing any Nats world champs gear though.  The Orioles are my team.  I don't have a second favorite team.   I hope WE can experience winning after this rebuild.

I am happy for them. I do not wear Nats gear.

I do hope they stay good, because its good for the local economy and I can still dream of a parkway WS.

9 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

And probably good for MASN ratings to help the Angelos family next year 

It’s ironic that the Nats’ attendance and ratings were down this year, despite winning a wild card spot after missing the playoffs last year.    But, I think season ticket sales are the biggest component of attendance, and that is largely driven by the previous season’s performance.    So yes, I’d bet that attendance and TV ratings for Nats games will be substantially up next year.    The O’s, not so much.    ?   But, I don’t think the O’s are losing fans or viewers to the Nats at this point.    The fans/viewers the Nats will be adding simply weren’t attending/watching games at all, or were doing it less.    But they weren’t following the O’s.    

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s ironic that the Nats’ attendance and ratings were down this year, despite winning a wild card spot after missing the playoffs last year.    But, I think season ticket sales are the biggest component of attendance, and that is largely driven by the previous season’s performance.    So yes, I’d bet that attendance and TV ratings for Nats games will be substantially up next year.    The O’s, not so much.    ?   But, I don’t think the O’s are losing fans or viewers to the Nats at this point.    The fans/viewers the Nats will be adding simply weren’t attending/watching games at all, or were doing it less.    But they weren’t following the O’s.    

I think its more of a trend that MLB has a bit of an attendance issue and losing fans as they get older.

No, the game is far from dying, if only they could tweak it a bit.

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think its more of a trend that MLB has a bit of an attendance issue and losing fans as they get older.

No, the game is far from dying, if only they could tweak it a bit.

So long as baseball outlasts me, I’m not too worried if it disintegrates when the last of the baby boomers kicks the bucket.    

Sorry, Tony, Moose etc.  ?

49 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

NWSL is a joke comparing to MLB ratings. MLB pulls in the millions and NWSL can barely tap 100K

MLB might pull in millions for playoff games on Fox or ESPN, but not, say, a regular season game on MASN.  Certainly a normal O's game on MASN counts viewers in the thousands or maybe tens of thousands.

But I'm guessing a Washington Spirit game on MASN might not have 1000 people watching.  But that's just a guess.  And most NWSL games are either not televised or are on RSNs like MASN.

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been fortunate to see the Orioles win three World Series, and even though it’s been 36 years, I still take great pride and solace in those wins.    

But one thing the O’s haven’t ever done is win a World Series or a playoff series that came down to a rubber game.   They lost two WS Game 7’s to the Pirates,  and Game 5 of two five-game playoff series to the A’s and the Yankees.     All the postseason series they ever won never got down to a nailbiter situation.    Not that I didn’t enjoy those wins, but there’s just something about winning with everything on the line in one game that is sort of the ultimate satisfaction.   

I’m pretty jealous of the Nats fans tonight.    I’ve never felt quite what they’re feeling as an Orioles fan.   

It’s okay to be Jealous but they are also living with a miserable situation with the Redskins. You win some and lose some

by the way... those who cry about the Orioles budget and available money. The Nationals spent $185 million to win the World Series

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's not a fixed pie.  People act like there are 750,000 baseball fans in the DC/Baltimore area and if the O's don't get them they all go to the Nats. But the truth is that the size of each of the fanbases and their overlap is constantly changing.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

by the way... those who cry about the Orioles budget and available money. The Nationals spent $185 million to win the World Series

What is the point you’re trying to make here?   Putting MASN to one side, per Forbes in 2018 the Nats had $85 mm more in revenue than the O’s, including $74 mm more in gate receipts.    So what the Nats spend has little bearing on what the O’s can spend.   Moreover, there’s a time to spend on payroll and a time not to spend.    Back when they were building the franchise by drafting Strasburg and Harper, their payroll was under $70 mm.