Astros Stealing Signs in 2017

TonySoprano

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I still don't get the outrage. 

You  don't get outrage???  They cheated to win the World Series.  They should be forced to forfeit their championship.  What could be worse than what they did?  Bribing the umpires?  It is making  a mockery of the game.  

This rises to Pete Rose level of offense. 

In addition, the Astros had two very bad incidences with the press this year.  The organization is obviously cheating in other ways we don't know about.  They have no morals.   They were more than ready to pick up a domestic violence guy.  

If the commissioner doesn't do something drastic about the game will no longer be
about the players on the field, just about who can cheat the most.  This is worse than the steroids issue because at least it was the players  doing it .

I don't think the players are going to get too much punishment.  As they have a union. But their is no reason any non-player involved should be involved with baseball next year.  

As the sport welcomes more and more technology into the game, I would expect to see more and more of this kind of stuff. Using tech to gain unfair advantages and if you're really good at it, no one would find out for years perhaps many years. Technology is a double edged sword. However, considering that many teams in the league are probably already doing this in some way, I don't think it's that big a deal. If everyone is doing it, it's hard to see it as cheating really. Same as steroids. If the whole league is using PEDs for several decades, then the playing field is pretty level. I don't know... once cats like these are out of the bag, it may be impossible to put them back in.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Cheating scandal is the most overblown thing ever.

Definitely a big deal. Mike Fiers was willing to go on record because he was so upset about it.

It's not Black Sox big, but anything that degrades the integrity of the game in the eyes of a large portion of MLB's fanbase is a big deal.

Like, can you imagine the media circus if the Nats lost and the Astros won? Can you imagine how many awful think-pieces journalists would be writing about how they don't know how to explain this to their poor children?

8 minutes ago, theocean said:

Definitely a big deal. Mike Fiers was willing to go on record because he was so upset about it.

It's not Black Sox big, but anything that degrades the integrity of the game in the eyes of a large portion of MLB's fanbase is a big deal.

Like, can you imagine the media circus if the Nats lost and the Astros won? Can you imagine how many awful think-pieces journalists would be writing about how they don't know how to explain this to their poor children?

Yup, I can imagine exactly how these think pieces would go.

My response:  Life ain't fair.  And things don't always work out the way they should.  The good guys don't always win.  Learn it now, save yourself the heartache.

32 minutes ago, theocean said:

Didnt the cubs get their hands lightly smacked for stealing signs with a small door in the ivy?

I also believe the blue jays was also accused of doing this, with a long distance lens and a hotel room setup.

4 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

My outlook is the same as Frobby's. Sign stealing is fine until you start using electronics. There should be a punishment but I have no idea how harsh or lenient. Mainly because the rule just went into effect.

So if you put a guy in CF with binoculars and he has a buddy with him that signals the hitter that's fine?  As long as it doesn't use electricity?