Unilateral NL DH by 2021?

weams

6 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I would require evidence that shows that first basemen have shorter careers and get injured more regularly than DHs. It certainly isn't definitively so.

No not shorter careers. But the DH types would most likely get crowded out of 1B by the newer younger models. With only so many first base slots to chose from. That while not being a definite is a very likely scenario.

17 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Right, but unilateral rules for the way the game is played on the field, with the exception of the DH.  

Maybe the NFL should require the kicker to be someone who was on the field the play before the kick.    That would be entertaining.   

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Philip said:

No, please no. Just no. No. One of the best things about baseball is the difference between the two leagues caused by the American having a designated hitter, and the national not. We constantly talk about the need for variety in life, Why in the world who do we want to eliminate it needlessly?

To start the slippery slope of eliminating leagues, reorganizing divisions, balancing the schedule and building in some structural balance to the game.

This league is dying in tradition.  Rules tradition, unspoken rules tradition, etc.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Maybe the NFL should require the kicker to be someone who was on the field the play before the kick.    That would be entertaining.   

There was a time that it wasn't all that uncommon for kickers to also play another position.  The Colts' Lou Michaels was a defensive tackle.  Paul Hornung was the Packers' place kicker for a while, in addition to being their starting halfback.  George Blanda kicked and was the Raiders' backup quarterback.  Otto Graham punted in addition to being a HOF QB.  IIRC, Joe Don Looney was a backup RB and punted for the Colts for a season or two; and the Colts' Steve Myhra was a backup offensive lineman and linebacker in addition to his place-kicking duties - a three-way player.  I believe the roster limits were less back then ( 40 active players IIRC), so I'm sure that was a big reason that players needed to be able to do more than just kick in many cases.

Steve_Myhra.jpg

99797.jpg

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, OsEatAlEast said:

Not really dumb by the premise that he most likely would have had a shorter career if not for the DH.

Edgar Martinez would have had a long, successful career in a non-DH league.  He just would have been a poor first baseman.

Don't forget that Martinez' career was shortened by probably 750, 1000, or more PAs because the Mariners of the mid-to-late 80s were stupid.  He wasn't a regular in the big leagues until he was 27, which is exceptionally late for a HOFer.  It wasn't because he wasn't ready, his career AAA OPS is .944.  The Mariners just believed that Jeffrey Leonard and Jim Presley and other mediocre talents were better players.  In '87 he hit .329 for Calgary, and still played 32 games in AAA in '89.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'm seriously for the idea that the extra point should be kicked by whomever scores the touchdown.  Requires players to learn a new skill, and probably means more going for two in situations like a lineman returning a blocked punt for a touchdown.

Also like the rugby idea of the point after coming from directly back from the point where the touchdown was scored.  If you dive for the pylon the snap for the extra point is placed nearly on the sidelines.

17 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

To start the slippery slope of eliminating leagues, reorganizing divisions, balancing the schedule and building in some structural balance to the game.

This league is dying in tradition.  Rules tradition, unspoken rules tradition, etc.

That is true, and that is sad.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Edgar Martinez would have had a long, successful career in a non-DH league.  He just would have been a poor first baseman.

This is one of the major points of my argument. If a team wants to carry a poor defensive player for his bat they should have to pay the price for it. 

It really doesn't matter though, the HR is king in the minds of the powers that be. The NL dh is inevitable. I'm actually surprised it took this long for them to start talking about it seriously.

11 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing them eliminate interleague play.  That would create a more balanced schedule.  The novelty has worn off, IMO, and there really is no reason to keep on playing interleague games.

Concur.  It makes scheduling a disaster, and I think the attendance gains are small.

What I'd really like to see is geographical division of the leagues with little or no inter-league play.  Then you'd have minimal games outside of your timezone.

• Upvote 1

On 1/27/2020 at 11:29 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Keep cringing.  I mean, I could keep making offbeat comparisons between the two sports where the NFC could have, like, 5 downs but the AFC could have 4.  Or the NFC could kick through a wider field goal post.  Or the AFC could kick field goals from wider hashmarks like they do in college.  Or the NFC could play all season with 12 men but then play the superbowl with 11.  Maybe the AFC should just have 8 yards to gain for a first down while the NFC sticks to 10.  Wouldn't football be a much better sport with the NFC/AFC having different standards and rules of play?

Maybe in the NBA Western Conference, the rim should be 10 feet, 5 inches off the ground while the Eastern Conference plays with a standard 10 foot rim.  And then when a Western Conference team plays an Eastern Conference team, whoever has the home court gets to play with their standard rim.  So for example if the Milwaukee Bucks (East) play the Lakers (West) at the Staples Center where the Lakers play their home games, they'd play on rims that are 10 feet, 5 inches.  But when the Lakers swing through Milwaukee, they're playing on 10 foot rims.  How's that for being quirky, different and unique?  

I would be in favor of this

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2020 at 2:29 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Keep cringing.  I mean, I could keep making offbeat comparisons between the two sports where the NFC could have, like, 5 downs but the AFC could have 4.  Or the NFC could kick through a wider field goal post.  Or the AFC could kick field goals from wider hashmarks like they do in college.  Or the NFC could play all season with 12 men but then play the superbowl with 11.  Maybe the AFC should just have 8 yards to gain for a first down while the NFC sticks to 10.  Wouldn't football be a much better sport with the NFC/AFC having different standards and rules of play?

Maybe in the NBA Western Conference, the rim should be 10 feet, 5 inches off the ground while the Eastern Conference plays with a standard 10 foot rim.  And then when a Western Conference team plays an Eastern Conference team, whoever has the home court gets to play with their standard rim.  So for example if the Milwaukee Bucks (East) play the Lakers (West) at the Staples Center where the Lakers play their home games, they'd play on rims that are 10 feet, 5 inches.  But when the Lakers swing through Milwaukee, they're playing on 10 foot rims.  How's that for being quirky, different and unique?  

We never hear people say other sports should change what they do because baseball does it a certain way. But frequently we hear how baseball should change something - divisional alignment, wildcard berths time clocks, etc. - to emulate other sports. That is what I meant by cringeworthy.

And those further examples you provided are, indeed, quirky. But I don’t think to DH or not to DH is anywhere as different a game as would be different yardages being needed for a first down. Maybe if the NL adopted a rule of two strikes make a strikeout. Wait! I think I just came up with the most effective way of shortening the length of games!!!

/s

5 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

We never hear people say other sports should change what they do because baseball does it a certain way. But frequently we hear how baseball should change something - divisional alignment, wildcard berths time clocks, etc. - to emulate other sports. That is what I meant by cringeworthy.

And those further examples you provided are, indeed, quirky. But I don’t think to DH or not to DH is anywhere as different a game as would be different yardages being needed for a first down. Maybe if the NL adopted a rule of two strikes make a strikeout. Wait! I think I just came up with the most effective way of shortening the length of games!!!

/s

Ok.