MLB looking into starting the season in MAY

Uli2001

7 hours ago, scOtt said:

It was a terrible national tragedy that baseball played a (small) part in healing. Which baseball could do again in this case.

Sometimes I think you act thick just to be argumentative.

Except this time baseball's plan would be the one causing the national tragedy.  Every newspaper article I have read agrees with me on this.  This is purely all about money.  Baseball is one industry that clearly can survive being down for a long time.  And they have purposely shut down in the past and not playing the World Series and were fine afterwards.  Baseball did nothing for me after 9-11.  If it did something for you that is great. I went on with having to travel for work.  I in fact stayed at the World Trade Center Marriott numerous times earlier in 2001. Luckily I changed companies in Spring of 2001 and no longer had to work on Wall Street.   Getting on airplanes was not fun at the time and I was more worried about my airplane being hijacked than baseball.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

Good article from USA Today about how difficult it would be to pull off the Arizona plan. You'd basically need to isolate a group of 5,000 people or so for four months.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/04/08/coronavirus-how-difficult-would-create-mlb-bubble-arizona/2970792001/

A lot of good points in this article. You have to wonder what whoever's been talking about a May plan (the owners, Mighty Manfred, the union?) is thinking, if they're thinking anything at all.

I still believe MLB might be able to provide fanless baseball, and pick up some TV money, by playing a month of baseball in August-September, along the lines I suggested in a post on Tuesday (and Scott's post improved on, IMO). I think you could start once (1) there are sufficient coronavirus tests available to test each player and other person who attends a game on the day of each game, at MLB's expense, without depriving anyone of tests, and (b) the level of hospitalizations and deaths caused by the virus has subsided to the point where the health care system is pretty much operating normally. (I think you could do that with fewer than the 5,000 participants the article says would be required for a 100-plus-game schedule starting in May. My estimate was around 3,000.) But any plan to do that would have to be conditional -- it's just too early to predict where we'll be in August and September.

It's easier to predict where we'll be in May, and starting the baseball season then doesn't fit with any possibility that I can foresee.

And I don't see how anyone can plan on having any minor league games this year. 

Maybe one of the CDT's will actually be the one that works with little harm to the patient. At the hospitaI I  know  ,Remdesivir  has shown some promise but has some bad side effects. Same with the Z Pack and Chloroquine together ,very strong for certain older patients with arrhythmia. 

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Israeli-COVID-19-treatment-shows-100-percent-survival-rate-preliminary-data-624058

This is also interesting but time will tell. 

https://www.ksbw.com/article/new-study-investigates-californias-possible-herd-immunity-to-covid-19/32073873

On 4/9/2020 at 11:15 AM, atomic said:

Except this time baseball's plan would be the one causing the national tragedy.  Every newspaper article I have read agrees with me on this.  This is purely all about money.  Baseball is one industry that clearly can survive being down for a long time.  And they have purposely shut down in the past and not playing the World Series and were fine afterwards.  Baseball did nothing for me after 9-11.  If it did something for you that is great. I went on with having to travel for work.  I in fact stayed at the World Trade Center Marriott numerous times earlier in 2001. Luckily I changed companies in Spring of 2001 and no longer had to work on Wall Street.   Getting on airplanes was not fun at the time and I was more worried about my airplane being hijacked than baseball.  

It would seem you are perhaps wasting too much energy with common sense. We will find out more about this virus as time goes by. There seems to be more evidence that the 6 foot distancing is a rather arbitrary number without much proof. They are also finding it's viable much longer on surface and in the air than originally thought. Imagine a pitcher, steps off the mound, goes to the rosin bag, then his mouth or blows on his hand...opps, new ball??? And, testing is NOT perfect. I wish some would have as much passion for life as they do for a game....oh, there is that common sense thing again.

So the UFC planned to hold something in California on tribal land.  Disney which owns ESPN told them to shut it down.  And that is the end of that.  So I am guessing if baseball is planning on airing their games on ESPN they wont' have much luck.  And they were already planing on paying the players 40 percent of their pay.  If ESPN isn't paying them for games what would players be payed? 10 percent of their pay?

One last astonishing comparison this morning. One month ago was March 9. There was a lot of skepticism of communities & companies moving against coronavirus that week (NBA, NCAA). March 9: --> 704 US cases --> 26 US deaths April 9: --> 465,329 cases --> 16,672 deaths

And these are people who have been tested and deaths counted .

Today is the first time I've seen this "real" Grapefruit and Cactus League notion.

Bleacher Report guessed these divisions, which seem great for out-Rockering the Tigers and Pirates:

GRAPEFRUIT LEAGUE

• NORTH: New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays, Detroit Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates
  • SOUTH: Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Baltimore Orioles.

Anyone want to hazard a guess at projecting an in-division winning percentage there?

22 hours ago, atomic said:

So the UFC planned to hold something in California on tribal land.  Disney which owns ESPN told them to shut it down.  And that is the end of that.  So I am guessing if baseball is planning on airing their games on ESPN they wont' have much luck.  And they were already planing on paying the players 40 percent of their pay.  If ESPN isn't paying them for games what would players be payed? 10 percent of their pay?

It's obviously inappropriate and stupid to be holding a sporting event right now. However, it will not be that way forever. Social distancing is working and we're even hearing Dr. Fauci and his team talk about how families could be able to take summer vacations. 

I can't fault MLB for exploring possibilities of what can be done when social distancing guidelines are relaxed. And I'm sure the broadcast networks will be more than happy to those broadcast games.

55 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

It's obviously inappropriate and stupid to be holding a sporting event right now. However, it will not be that way forever. Social distancing is working and we're even hearing Dr. Fauci and his team talk about how families could be able to take summer vacations. 

I can't fault MLB for exploring possibilities of what can be done when social distancing guidelines are relaxed. And I'm sure the broadcast networks will be more than happy to those broadcast games.

Sure. But they (and it's not clear exactly who "they" are) seem tone-deaf, oblivious to reality, unconcerned with the health of players (and managers, coaches and others), piggish and just plain dumb when they let it be known that they're focused on doing that in May. That can't be good for MLB's already tarnished image, and it appears that some factions within MLB don't care about that, either.

39 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Sure. But they (and it's not clear exactly who "they" are) seem tone-deaf, oblivious to reality, unconcerned with the health of players (and managers, coaches and others), piggish and just plain dumb when they let it be known that they're focused on doing that in May. That can't be good for MLB's already tarnished image, and it appears that some factions within MLB don't care about that, either.

You kind of answered your own complaint. It isn’t clear who “they” are. A story leaked that the idea has been talked about. It would be irresponsible for any business to not be looking at options for reopening and that is what MLB is doing. We don’t know when or what form that reopening will be but I am glad MLB isn’t saying either play as normal or no season.