O's Future Shortstop Ratings Comparison

wildcard

4 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Geeze, a flipping opinion about the clowns unable to compromise gets down voted.

Sorry, but there is still no deal in place, and while the two sides are finally starting to crawl to the other.

Its not a done deal, yet.

Still a chance for no baseball in 2020.

Now, this is an opinion on how the progress has gone so far.

Its not an opinion, that I want no baseball in 2020.

I wouldn’t have downvoted you, but there are several better threads out there for getting into this topic.  Let those of us who want to discuss shortstops do that without getting diverted.

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t have downvoted you, but there are several better threads out there for getting into this topic.  Let those of us who want to discuss shortstops do that without getting diverted.

Point taken.

I just wish I could feel optimistic about the season, you know me long enough here in OH.

I usually try to see the glass as half-full.

On 6/16/2020 at 12:16 PM, Redskins Rick said:

I know this sounds like a debbie downer.

But with these clowns unable to compromise.

There is no worry about picking the wrong SS, because people are quickly losing interest in MLB.

IMO

Maybe since no one likes baseball anymore they can take all these unused players they just signed and turn them in for a Chinese finger trap, stuffed animal, or  pack of gum. 

19 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Maybe since no one likes baseball anymore they can take all these unused players they just signed and turn them in for a Chinese finger trap, stuffed animal, or  pack of gum. 

I really feel for the youngsters still trying to get into the bigs, they are the ones most impacted by this.

I suspect some of the pampered players are enjoying the time off and no rush to get back on the field.

So who is going to play SS for this team in 2023?

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I really feel for the youngsters still trying to get into the bigs, they are the ones most impacted by this.

I suspect some of the pampered players are enjoying the time off and no rush to get back on the field.

Fwiw, my gut feeling is that it's going to be Servideo.  They must have really liked him to pick him even after they just picked a SS.  And he got off to an MVP type start this season before everything shut down. 

• Upvote 1

Best case to me would be Gunnar sticking at SS with his power bat, and Mayo being our 3Bman - especially after Roy's piece on Mayo.  

We do have some interesting young prospects - a lot more interesting than in past years.  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Best case to me would be Gunnar sticking at SS with his power bat, and Mayo being our 3Bman - especially after Roy's piece on Mayo.  

We do have some interesting young prospects - a lot more interesting than in past years.  

Yes, but — they always tend to be more interesting when they haven’t yet been tested against their peer minor leaguers.   Even guys like Gunnar and Hernaiz have barely gotten their feet wet.   

On 6/19/2020 at 7:36 AM, Redskins Rick said:

So the above gets downvoted?

WTF

I usually dont care too much, but geeze.

COVID has impacted the MIL trying to improve their skillset to get into the Bigs.

Some high dollar players are in no rush to get back on the field.

Neither of the statements should be considered controversial or outlandish opinion.

• Upvote 1

On 6/19/2020 at 9:50 AM, Frobby said:

Yes, but — they always tend to be more interesting when they haven’t yet been tested against their peer minor leaguers.   Even guys like Gunnar and Hernaiz have barely gotten their feet wet.   

When you're an O's fan, you gotta take every opportunity to be optimistic when they're not playing.    

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned trades. The guy playing SS for us will be the one who doesn’t get traded.

if Elias is really going to draft the bats and trade for arms(with which I strenuously disagree at this point) then he’s going to need lots of interesting trade bait.

So Martin/Iglesias plays this season, next year we have Hall(?) or maybe Martin improves enough we can trade Hall, or vice versa.

We have enough shortstops that one of them should pan out. The others are investments in pitching.

10 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned trades. The guy playing SS for us will be the one who doesn’t get traded.

if Elias is really going to draft the bats and trade for arms(with which I strenuously disagree at this point) then he’s going to need lots of interesting trade bait.

So Martin/Iglesias plays this season, next year we have Hall(?) or maybe Martin improves enough we can trade Hall, or vice versa.

We have enough shortstops that one of them should pan out. The others are investments in pitching.

Some will change positions rather than be traded.  I could see Hall moving to 2b, Henderson to 3rd, and Westburg to 3rd or the OF.  

A few years ago, the Braves organization had 3 SS's all the same age - Dansby Swanson, Ozzie Albies, and Johan Camargo.  Albies was moved to 2B, and Camargo to 3B, and they all became MLB starters.  While none of the O's prospects are at the level that Albies and Swanson were, we have potentially a very nice situation.    

• Upvote 1