Greene being forced out of San Diego?

Crazysilver03

I would do anything to make a DCab for Greene deal work. Throw in some cash, a lower level player, anything to get rid of Cabrera and get a MLB-level SS in return.

I like the idea of buying low for Greene too. If he could get back to any of his non-2008 seasons it would be a huge improvement at the position.

How is his defense?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would do anything to make a DCab for Greene deal work. Throw in some cash, a lower level player, anything to get rid of Cabrera and get a MLB-level SS in return.

I like the idea of buying low for Greene too. If he could get back to any of his non-2008 seasons it would be a huge improvement at the position.

How is his defense?[/QUOTE]

From everything I've ever head about him, fantastic.

Not sure what the defensive stats say, but I've always heard (and from what I've seen of him, it's been accurate) that he is a well-above average defensive shortstop.

Greene is a FA after 2009

I think the idea would be to extend him for cheap if we traded for him.

At least that would be my idea. Last year looks to me like the abberation out of his career. Take him out of Petco and I think he can be an .800 OPS shortstop who plays great defense.

And possibly a type A FA so if he doesnt extend or accept arbitration maybe he gets us a draft pick.

We dont have much to lose in this situation and he has the most upside of any available SS.

He would have to have some kind of monster year next year to be a Type A. Last season he was terrible, and last year and next year will be all that count for his Free Agent Type status.

I'd say if we got him we would be lucky if he was even a Type B.

That said, I think we should trade for him, rip up the one year deal, and sign him to a 3/21 or so extension. He'd make more money next year, and be assured of two similar years of pay. I think he will have a big bounce back next year, and the move will look brilliant on our part. After his 3 years are up, hopefully we have a stud SS working his way through the system (possibly one of the guys from next years draft that people have been mentioning.)

I'd rather see us trade for JJ Hardy instead. Sure he'd cost more in terms of players, but unlike Greene he's actually a good SS.

I like how you just throw out, sure, he'd cost us more in terms of players like it isn't the only reason most people here don't want to go after Hardy.

Of course he is a better option. Are you willing to start a package around Guthrie? How about Tillman/Arrieta?

I'm not, so I wouldn't be going after Hardy.

Greene should be able to be had for much, much less.

What is your point? That has already been acknowledged in this thread? People dont see it as an issue.

The point is what exactly does the FO want to get for their future SS: A) a cheap option for years to come (prospect) or B) Greene, who might not want to resign with us and is currently a Type B (we'd get a 40-50th overall draft pick if we lost him)

Greene is also 29 and has possibly already reached his peak in 2007. Trading for him might be wise for this year, but at what cost? Would you trade David Hernandez and Pedro Beato for a 40-50th overall pick?

And possibly a type A FA so if he doesnt extend or accept arbitration maybe he gets us a draft pick.

We dont have much to lose in this situation and he has the most upside of any available SS.

Greene was a Type B at the end of 2007, right in the middle of the back in regards to Type B. After his season this year, he will not be a Type B. If he is lucky and has a good season next year, he might be a Type B at the end of 2009. He has no chance of being a Type A.

The point is what exactly does the FO want to get for their future SS: A) a cheap option for years to come (prospect) or B) Greene, who might not want to resign with us and is currently a Type B (we'd get a 40-50th overall draft pick if we lost him)

Greene is also 29 and has possibly already reached his peak in 2007. Trading for him might be wise for this year, but at what cost? Would you trade David Hernandez and Pedro Beato for a 40-50th overall pick?

I would make that trade. If the FO has no plans to extend Greene, then I would expect to see them trade for another SS option that will be ready in 2010. Hernandez is probably nothing more than a reliever at the majors and right now Beato will be lucky to make it to AA.

Greene is both an offensive and defensive SS. He would help the pitching staff and the line-up.

Greene is also 29 and has possibly already reached his peak in 2007. Trading for him might be wise for this year, but at what cost? Would you trade David Hernandez and Pedro Beato for a 40-50th overall pick?[/QUOTE]

No, for two reasons.

One, I think we can probably get Greene for a bit less than that.

Two, I would sign Greene to an extension, so it wouldn't be for a draft pick, it would be for three years of a guy I'm pretty confident will bounce back next year if he were in a better hitters park.

No, for two reasons.

One, I think we can probably get Greene for a bit less than that.

Two, I would sign Greene to an extension, so it wouldn't be for a draft pick, it would be for three years of a guy I'm pretty confident will bounce back next year if he were in a better hitters park.

I'd only trade for him if we can resign him. And I think Greene will actually cost more than Hernandez and Beato...I was just using that pair as an example since Crazysilver proposed it.

I'd only trade for him if we can resign him. And I think Greene will actually cost more than Hernandez and Beato...I was just using that pair as an example since Crazysilver proposed it.

I dunno, San Diego seems pretty ready to be rid of him.

By the way, if Hernandez/Beato is a final offer from SD, I take it.

Archived