Greene being forced out of San Diego?

Crazysilver03

That is way to steep of an offer.

The Padres would like to shed his $6M+ contract and his attitude and know that he wont be back as a free agent and he wont bring any compensation, so the idea to get rid of him now outweighs anything else.

You're assuming there is no competition whatsoever for his services. We're not the only team that could use him. We won't get him for next to nothing.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If San Diego has the burden of dumping Greene, than the team that does get him could significantly underpay. I could see Sherrill fitting in San Diego. Sherrill gets a lot of fly ball outs, PETCO would reduce his HR numbers, as would simply pitching in the NL... and lefty setup men are tough to find. We might even be able to take Greene and a low level prospect.

That would be an unbelievably terrible trade, IMO. No way do I give up even Liz alone for him. His value is completely in the crapper and he's owed a ton of money. It won't take much to get him, and if it does, pass big time.

$6.5 million is a "ton" of money??? In Major League Baseball? I sure wish the O's had known that when they'd signed those contract with Jay Gibbons, Danys Baez, Ramon Hernandez...

That is why I would throw cash at the Padres. We have tons of it. Not saying to give up that much, but I would much rather give the Padres Cabrera plus $X million, rather than giving up Berken too.

This is the way that I feel as well. I think we should send them Cabrera and get Greene back after both teams have reached an extension with the players (if that is desired by both) and we pick up some of the contract that we are sending over or something along those lines. Yes, SS is a big need for us, but giving up 2 guys who could be a part of our future for a 1 year rental is a bit scary.

What other teams are desperate for a SS?

Rays - No, Bartlett/Beckham/Brignac

Jays - Yes, Eckstein in FA

BoSox - No, Lowrie/Lugo

Yanks - No, Jeter

O's - Of course

Twins - Maybe, no real answer at SS yet

Chisox - Yes, Uribe and OCab in free agency

Tigers - Yes, Renteria maybe not coming back

Royals - No, Aviles

Indians - No, Peralta

A's - No, Crosby

Rangers - No, Young

Angels - No, Aybar and Wood

Mariners - No, Betancourt

Mets - No, Reyes

Phillies - No, Rollins

Marlins - No, Ramirez

Braves - No, they have Escobar and Lillibridge

Nats - No, Guzman

Cubs - No, Theriot

Brewers - No, Hardy

Astros - No, Tejada

Pirates - No, Wilson

Reds - Yes, lose Keppinger and Hairston to free agency in 2009

Cardinals - Yes, Izturis is a free agent in 2009

Dodgers - Yes, Furcal is a free agent in 2009

DBacks - Maybe, Drew is signed through 2009

Rockies - No, Tulo

Padres - No, Obviously don't need Greene...

So that's 9 teams with potential to need a shortstop next year. There could be even more teams just looking for a backup, but certainly not less than what I've listed.

So that's 9 teams with potential to need a shortstop next year. There could be even more teams just looking for a backup, but certainly not less than what I've listed.

Also a few of the teams (particularly the Indians) could be looking to move the incumbent SS to 3B or elsewhere to upgrade their defense.

I think we should send them Cabrera and get Greene back after both teams have reached an extension with the players (if that is desired by both) and we pick up some of the contract that we are sending over or something along those lines.

Why would the San Diego Padres offer a contract extension to Daniel Cabrera, who many think should be non-tendered?

A shortstop of Khalil Greene's caliber is a scarcer commodity than a pitcher of Daniel Cabrera's caliber (although neither is a hot commodity coming off a dismal season).

If San Diego decides to trade Greene, the Padres will get more than a Daniel Cabrera in return.

Who here would trade Montonez for Greene?

Or Reimold for that matter?

I'd trade both of them without blinking if we were getting a negotiating window to extend him (and I'd consider it if we weren't). You're talking about a couple of corner outfielders, in their mid-20s's and unproven at the ML level, who might give you about the same level of offensive production vs. a guy who is a proven Major League commodity and a plus defensive shortstop.

Who here would trade Montonez for Greene?

Or Reimold for that matter?

I wouldn't trade either.

You have to look at this from the Padres standpoint too. They are fit to lose Greene, and after his down year they are not going to get much for him based on what he'll make in '09. Yes, he's a SS, but come on. He's not Hardy. If they can gain a pitcher with "potential" like Cabrera and some cash or even another lower level guy, they at least have to consider it.

We're in the same boat with Ramon Hernandez.

Is this the same Khalil Greene?

6 Seasons 660 2397 301 594 150 14 84 328 23 5 175 521 .248 .304 .427 95 1024 4 34 17 32 55

statistics from baseball-reference.com

I don't get why the O's would even bat an eye at somebody that has a career batting average of 248, let alone trade D. Hernandez. I don't care how good his defense is... this guy, at least to me, seems to be pretty bad (at least offensively).

Is this the same Khalil Greene?

6 Seasons 660 2397 301 594 150 14 84 328 23 5 175 521 .248 .304 .427 95 1024 4 34 17 32 55

statistics from baseball-reference.com

I don't get why the O's would even bat an eye at somebody that has a career batting average of 248, let alone trade D. Hernandez. I don't care how good his defense is... this guy, at least to me, seems to be pretty bad (at least offensively).

Did you actually read anything in this thread in regards to how is stats are better away from San Diego, which is quite possibly the hardest place to hit in the majors?

Archived