The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, Moshagge3 said:

The plan for Hall is just all over the map. Call him up to start a fairly big game. Demote him immediately and announce he's going to be a reliever, just for this month, so he can leverage his few remaining innings to help the big club. Pitch him on Saturday just for ten pitches in a blowout. Bring him back on one day's rest for a critical inning with nobody warming behind him.

This ^^^^^. Their plan for Hall has been schizophrenic at best. He wasn't even pitching that good in AAA yet they bring him up because Elias had already said he was coming up. So you figure he'll pitch in very low leverage situations. So what do they do today, decide to put him into a one run game with two out in the 8th and then bring him back to pitch the 9th? 

I just don't get it. It was clear Hyde was concerned about game two, but why? Once Santander cuts that game to one run, he's got to run Tate out there for the 9th to try and preserve the one run lead.

The second game proved you don't play for game two in close games in game one.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Especially when you already know your game two pitcher is sick with a virus and had to be bumped back from starting game one. Hyde should have put in Perez or Tate in the ninth inning of the first game to preserve the the one run deficit.

The Orioles have shown multiple time this season they are capable of late innings magic even if the offense has been uneven.

Hyde and Elias both knew there was a legit chance Lyles would be unavailable or greatly diminished for the second game. That didn't stop them from handing the first game to the Blue Jays by using Hall when he wasn't ready for the moment. 

It was really important to go all out and win the first game because odds were game two was going to become a bullpen game (and it did).

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

No. I’m sorry Akin. I should have been more clear. 

No, I understood.   And I was asking if Akin's pitch count was a concern, what about the fact that Vespi had pitched two straight days and thrown a high # of pitches those games.   

Yes, Hall blew up but I should point out that we didn't score in the 9th. The only thing that Akin would have done is made us lose less badly. Arguably, the decision not to waste a good pitcher without the lead worked out perfectly and put us in a better position to win game 2, even if it didn't happen.  

Aside from the decision to bring Hall in yesterday, my biggest gripe was pulling Bauman after 5. Yes he allowed 8 hits in 5 innings, but his pitch count was at 78 and had Gunnar not bobbled the transfer one inning and fielded the other grounder clean the other inning he would have been ahead at that point with only giving up one run. You already have scratched the game 1 starter with flu like symptoms and know you have another game to go so why not at least send him out for the 6th and give him a shot at having a clean inning. If he gives up a hit or a walk (which it was almost impossible to walk someone with that zone yesterday) then go get him. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Yes, Hall blew up but I should point out that we didn't score in the 9th. The only thing that Akin would have done is made us lose less badly. Arguably, the decision not to waste a good pitcher without the lead worked out perfectly and put us in a better position to win game 2, even if it didn't happen.  

Everything is different if it is a 1 run game instead of 4. The pressure on the pitcher for Blue Jays is totally different, atmosphere of the crowd, the batters would be more locked in knowing they’re one swing away from tying. Everything is different. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

Everything is different if it is a 1 run game instead of 4. The pressure on the pitcher for Blue Jays is totally different, atmosphere of the crowd, the batters would be more locked in knowing they’re one swing away from tying. Everything is different. 

Arguably, they likely bring in their best pitcher and we have even lower chance of scoring. 

14 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This ^^^^^. Their plan for Hall has been schizophrenic at best. He wasn't even pitching that good in AAA yet they bring him up because Elias had already said he was coming up. So you figure he'll pitch in very low leverage situations. So what do they do today, decide to put him into a one run game with two out in the 8th and then bring him back to pitch the 9th? 

I just don't get it. It was clear Hyde was concerned about game two, but why? Once Santander cuts that game to one run, he's got to run Tate out there for the 9th to try and preserve the one run lead.

Hyde seems schizophrenic the way he manages.

So, anyone want to second guess Hyde for pulling Bradish in the fourth inning, runners on 1st and 3rd with a 5-3 lead?  I have a feeling that if it hadn’t worked out, we’d be seeing a lot of second guessing of that decision.   

For the record, I thought it was a great decision.  We needed this win badly.  

• Upvote 1